Script Discussion Schedule and Updates

I'm wondering what, if anything we'll be able to do with any of the "reworked", long-form outlines from this season (and whether we should go back and do the ones from season 1). I think probably best-case scenario is be more on the ball for next season.

Ideally, the goal is to take the outlines and transform them into rough drafts of scripts, of course. Once we get feedback from the Execs, I will take what we have and post it in a new thread for 'approved script outlines' and let people claim them for script writing purposes. The longer form outlines are more useful, but 'approved' is also an important aspect of this. I intend to include the Exec's comments (well, criticisms) when I make those posts.

I will admit that part of me is a bit frustrated here. I put together the rough outlines after each session, and asked for feedback/improvements. Sure, I could go through and flesh them out more, but that's still just me. The idea was to have other people adding input (which happened in some cases). I realize that no one is obligated to do this - everything here is completely voluntary, and people contribute as time/desire permits. But hearing 'oh, woah, shouldn't leave everything to the end, such a mess!' is very frustrating. I did *not* leave things til the end - I tried to make this an on-going thing. (Well, okay, so Episode 13 I have left until next week, when I'll have time to deal with it. But other than that...) That being said, I do appreciate your efforts going into cleaning these things up; the longer forms of the outlines you're making are a marked improvement over the terse drafts, which are more 'insert scene here' than storytelling. If I were better at biting my tongue I wouldn't have said anything.

I confess that I have bear a good amount of responsibility for not taking a more active role in putting some polish on the outlines. There's been a lot of changes around here of late, and I have let a bunch of things slide, including things like this, that I enjoy doing. I think that what might be better than saying, "let's not leave things until last minute," is "let's do a better job at not letting the responsibility fall solely to specific individuals." That will make it much easier as the season winds down.

Ideally, the goal is to take the outlines and transform them into rough drafts of scripts, of course. Once we get feedback from the Execs, I will take what we have and post it in a new thread for 'approved script outlines' and let people claim them for script writing purposes. The longer form outlines are more useful, but 'approved' is also an important aspect of this. I intend to include the Exec's comments (well, criticisms) when I make those posts.

I will admit that part of me is a bit frustrated here. I put together the rough outlines after each session, and asked for feedback/improvements. Sure, I could go through and flesh them out more, but that's still just me. The idea was to have other people adding input (which happened in some cases). I realize that no one is obligated to do this - everything here is completely voluntary, and people contribute as time/desire permits. But hearing 'oh, woah, shouldn't leave everything to the end, such a mess!' is very frustrating. I did *not* leave things til the end - I tried to make this an on-going thing. (Well, okay, so Episode 13 I have left until next week, when I'll have time to deal with it. But other than that...) That being said, I do appreciate your efforts going into cleaning these things up; the longer forms of the outlines you're making are a marked improvement over the terse drafts, which are more 'insert scene here' than storytelling. If I were better at biting my tongue I wouldn't have said anything.

Thinkin' big. I like where your head's at! I realize I'm tooooooaaaaatally to blame for 98% of the lollygagging here, Marie, don't think that I meant that as a criticism of how you and Nick have been doing so far. That was me thinking out loud about my process, and trying to improve on it, I'm sorry if that didn't come across in my little stream of consciousness. I grossly overestimated how much I would be able to get done with the few hours I had at my disposal, that is definitely not on you guys. Sorry for causing any undue stress or frustration. You should absolutely not feel the need to pull your punches with me, either: I'm a big boy and as much as I like to bluster and make fun of how awesome I may or may not be, I'm pretty painfully aware of my shortcomings and I have an itemized list of the times I've let this project and both you and Nick personally down, and it ain't a short list. I can can take a few punches if you feel like throwing them, especially when I have them coming. Sorry again if any of what I said up there sounded unfairly critical.

Looking forward to tomorrow (for me) and if we have some time to get together on Saturday, I'll make some time for it. :)

Last edited:
More thinking out loud, basically if I wanna be satisfied with the quality of the "final" outline we produce and we're
In agreement that the long form outlines are something we want to produce for every episode, I'm thinking probably my whole Sunday is devoted to doing work on silmfilm; morning meeting and half day on script, alternating Sundays touch ups and more script work.

This sounds equal parts awesome and unsustainable.

I wish I had more time right now. I would really like to contribute here but I'm afraid it's just not possible. For what it's worth, I applaud your efforts and ambitions.

Likewise, I wish I had more time. I genuinely would like to help with the script at some point but I've been playing a major juggling game that only seems to be getting crazier, and I still have much to get caught up on both here in the forums and on the sessions. Realistically speaking, we're looking at around Season 4 or so before I'm at a place where I can really "go steady". But I'll continue to try to keep on top of things. You guys are great, and I think you've done a fantastic job so far with the available time and resources.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not available this weekend, but if you and Nick are up for it, I could be available the weekend after.

Ah. What do you think, Brian, hold off a week? It would allow us to recap after all the script sessions with the hosts are done.

That actually works just fine, on account of I work the 18th (RIP, salsa night), and I have a brunch date the 19th, so. That would also put us in line with the regular schedule anyway, so yeah. Tentative meeting the 25th.

The last two weeks have been less than ideal. Is there a podcast this weekend? Should be? Is there any outstanding that work that needs to be done? We're still on for the 25th to talk shop? Marie please don't hit me with your sword(s)?

There is no podcast on the 24th, however I do think we should talk on the 25th for some cleanup, and if Marie can make it, I'd also like to discuss Mythmoot, since my email to the professor has gone unanswered.

I can make it for this Saturday. I think we have some feedback from Episodes 1-8 we can work on, as well as a review of the state of 9-13. (Presumably the new due date for those is March 9th).

Nick, I agree, let's plan and submit something for Mythmoot. 'The Challenges of Adapting the Silmarillion to Film' can be a good working title :)

It's like this whole place went into hibernation after the 10th, super weird. I'm looking forward to touching base with you guys, maybe I can at least help you all brainstorm for Mythmoot this year.

I vote you make mention of the organizational challenges a project like this represents. :p

Back