Season 1: Episode 12 Script Discussion

Mairon probably knows that his master has been forging this weird chain for the past x-hundreds of years (magic chains are hard to make, you see,) but only in this episode does he realize what it's true purpose is because he finally asks Aulë what it's purpose is.
This is really good.

Sorry - that was a very bare-bones list, rather than a full outline. I wanted to make sure I got things in the right order. The actual outline needs to flush some things out.

Oh, no, you're fine - I wasn't part of the discussion myself, so this was a first draft outline. The explanation of what happens in the scenes will have to get into the final outline. And we now have an ASAP deadline, so.....we gotta get this done!

Fleshed out a bit....

Episode 12: The End of Diplomacy/ Breath Before the Storm/ The Last Debate

Frame: A member of the White Council (Círdan?) arrives in Rivendell. Clearly, Gandalf's visit has set something in motion. Elrond is involved, but just how involved he and the elves of Rivendell will be remains to be seen. Elrond goes to Gilraen's cottage to give the lesson, to escape from the main house at Rivendell for awhile.

1. In the Forests of Middle Earth: Yavanna encounters a 'wild' (rabid) beast (dinosaur, giant sloth, other?) that attempts to attack her, but she just puts it to sleep. Yavanna then comes across Oromë and asks if he has been hunting 'her' creatures. He points out that this creature is dangerous and no longer how she intended, so perhaps killing it would be best. He also says they would be a hazard to the Children, whom he is looking for.

2. Aulë's Forge: Yavanna talks to Aulë about her concerns for her creatures. He confesses to her about the dwarves. She says, 'You should have talked to me.' She is clearly upset with him for doing this without her knowledge, and leaves. He continues working on a chain he has been forging (slowly, since episode 8 - it was visible in his workshop during the Ossë incident). Mairon asks him what it is for, since he's been spending so much time on it lately. He explains that this chain will 'lock' a Valar/Maiar in their form, to prevent them from escaping, and makes it clear that he intends to use it on Melkor 'if necessary'. Horrified, Mairon tries to defend Melkor, and explain that it's all been a terrible misunderstanding, but that they could still reconcile with him. Aulë will hear none of it. Mairon steals one of the links of the chain, and leaves.

3. The Ring of Doom: [Mandos mentions the awakening of the Children?] Yavanna talks to Manwë about Ents and Eagles (not giving away Aulë's dwarf secret). Manwë does not seem convinced. The other Valar gather together to determine what to do about Middle Earth. Manwë wants peace - others are in favor of fighting or passively going along with someone else. Manwë asks Mandos to speak, and he says, "I'm not the one you should be asking." Manwë decides to send Eonwë to summon Melkor to their council, so he can speak for himself and settle this once and for all.

4. Utumno: Mairon gives link to Melkor, and explains what Aulë intends. Melkor paints himself as someone about to be besieged. Eonwë arrives, and Melkor sends Mairon out the back door to keep his association secret (for his own safety, of course...) Melkor gives Mairon the idea to revisit the ruins of Almaren. Melkor politely declines Eonwë's summons (okay, more with a sneer, but he's not violent). He then sics Gothmog on Eonwë, who is chased/captured/imprisoned by all the balrogs with that link.

5. Taniquetal: Manwë and Varda talk; he decides to consult Ilúvatar, she decides to make the stars.

Massive Montage!
Manwë's vision on the peak of Taniquetal of the Music and the future of Middle Earth, with a (remembered) line from Ilúvatar about everything becoming part of his theme. The vision shows him images from the future (the Fall of Gondolin, orcs?) and Manwë realizes what Melkor intends to do with the Children.
Varda kindles the stars using the Light of the Trees.
Melkor in Utumno prepares for war.
Mairon, wandering in Middle Earth, sees the newly kindled Sickle of the Valar and then later hears singing (offscreen).
6. Taniquetal: Manwë comes down from the peak of Taniquetal and tells Varda he knows what he must do. The eagles are with him now.

7. Utumno: Melkor's preparations for war involve getting rid of the messenger. The balrogs kill Eonwë, throwing his body down a cliff. We see his broken body on the ground and his spirit flees back to Valinor. Manwë sees what Melkor has done, and Eonwë goes to Lorien for healing/rebirth. Mairon returns to Utumno, and when Melkor asks him, 'Well, are you with me or with them?' Mairon replies, "I've found the Children, my lord."

Frame: Gilraen confronts Elrond over whatever he is hiding from, offering her advice: the worst decision is to not make a decision.

Last edited:
Estel learning of his fate seems appropriate for the last episode since Episode 13 will also be about Manwë actively "taking up his fate" by waging war against Melkor. Parallelism; two seemingly disparate plotlines finding themselves entangled together out of their innate need for common thematic purpose-that's how baby Emmy's are made.

I'm kind of in love with the passage in PubSil where Mandos says the Firstborn shall come in the darkness and look first upon the stars... Could we add that somewhere? It might not fit just before Manwë goes to consult Eru and Varda starts to kindle stars, or does it? Maybe we can add a scene with Mandos, Manwë and Varda just before Yavanna comes to speak with Manwë about Ents?

Question: the link - to me that means one single ring. I was wondering because I'm trying to picture Eonwë being captured with that link.

Oh - yes, it is one link, that can be opened and closed, so it's used like a handcuff or torc to 'lock' his body into it's form, so he will be unable to escape whatever they use to imprison him. It could be reused later to attach Maedhros's hand to the cliff, thus explaining why he could not die to flee that situation (and why Fingon had such trouble cutting through it).

In 4., I think Melkor, when painting the picture of him being someone who's going to be besieged, should proclaim himself King of Arda, or at least of Middle-earth, if he hasn't already done so. This is something that he will let Eonwë know and something Eonwë possibly can convey to Mamwë later. Marion can call him King when he chooses sides. I'd also like Melkor to mention the Children at some point - or did he already in episode 11?

Last edited:
Right, of course he doesn't. My point is that when Mairon says he's found the Children, this should be in answer to a known desire Melkor has expressed.

Agreed - just pointing out that that wouldn't happen in Episode 11. We never really worked in Melkor's reaction to Aulë's dwarves.

I've just had the time to listen to the beginning of that last clip but I must say that I loved the things you said about the kindling of the stars.

By the way, couldn't we put some star gazing into the frame? Estel and somebody looks at the stars, and speak of their names. "The Wilvarin...Menelmacar..." And end with the Sickle of the Valar. That could be at the end of the episode?

It might also work as a part of the frame at the beginning of Episode 13. There does need to be some clear clarification in Episode 12 though that, in Middle-earth, the constellation is seen as a sickle. Otherwise most viewers are going to be confused why Melkor is so upset over a dipper or a baby bear. Do the Valar intend to invade Utumno with an army of ladle-wielding cubs?

Yeah, that's a good idea.

In any case, I think that it is an important ingredient in the story. It is a mythology, and in telling a mythology it would be s shame to skip the part of how the stars got their names. :)

Back