Season 1 Episode Outlines

Episode 2 is *much* more like what we intended, I think - we must have given you more to go on there ;).

I would say that the new details that have appeared are: the conversation with/about Ungoliant (she was just there in the shadows and they missed her in our original discussion, but this was debated later), the episode taking place in the evening/at night in Rivendell, and Manwë's much more proactive role in advancing his agenda. I am fine with these alterations, though I did like the idea of saving the 'hey, nice coastlines' moment until Yavanna arrived, as she was unaware of the conflict, and the comment seems more spontaneous, an innocent remark on the unintended beauty that contributes to the 'work together!' message without being didactic.

I'm not intentionally adding anything that isn't mentioned or hinted at in the script. Everything I have added is me merely filling in the blanks for themes/ideas that are already present in the outline. Any of my own brand spanking new ideas/suggestions I have put in brackets or asked as questions. Everything not in brackets has it's origins in the outline, podcast, or books I assure you. Please tell me if you feel that this is not the case in a particular instance.

For instance, the conversation with Ungoliant was an extrapolation of the sentences "Some of the Ainur do not respond to the summons. Ungoliant is missed." These are placed right between the summary of the Oromë visit and Ulmo's complaint of the Almaren project. In my reading of this paragraph, I associated the Ungoliant sentences with the Oromë encounter. (Apparently, they were supposed to be in context of the Almaren project. My bad.) I think having the scene contextualizes the later observation at Almaren (that not all of the Maiar have decided to show) while simultaneously developing the character of Ungoliant. But since that wasn't actually the intention, I will make a note of it in the script.

(See guys, these forums prove that communication is, in fact, key. Isn't it great that we can do all of this together instead of all by our lonesomes.)

Oh, I don't think there is any harm in including things that were in the podcasts, but that we managed to leave out of the script discussion and/or outlines! I greatly appreciate your efforts in fleshing these out and making them much more cohesive than they were.

I also recognize that it's a large task, and expecting you to do all 13 this week is not fair. So...I'll do my best to help out, and hopefully some other folks can pitch in, and we'll get these all done together.

I'll start with Episode 13, which we just did tonight, and others can claim an episode to outline (following Alex's model), and we'll get something put together.

I am not going to be super broken up if the hosts are not terribly satisfied with the end result. The fact of the matter is that we got started WAY late in the game, and the goal has sort of ballooned. That we only wrapped up the round tables on the episode more or less on the original deadline, not to mention the intervention of real life, means that we''re already up against a wall. I expect to take another stab at it after they give their feedback and impressions anyway, and I'm hoping that next season's round-tables will occur immediately after the associated Session of the podcast, although this will require that at least one round-tabler be present for the Session (and/or we get the notes from the Session from the wise-and-industrious official Note-Taker in time, whose name escapes me at the moment).

As the first casualty of real-life, I encourage everyone not to be terribly disappointed if the quality of the outlines isn't as high as we'd like in a perfect world. Worst-case scenario, you have my personal permission to throw me under the bus for not contributing much in the way of concrete writing and editing.

No need to throw anyone under the bus! This is a group effort, and I'd rather credit everyone for their contributions rather than blame anyone for not devoting more time to this project - this is supposed to be for fun!

I'm very much comfortable with a 'turn in what we have' approach and intend to do better next time (ie, less rush). As you point out, we can do this as we go, so most of the outlines will be available for tweaking for months before they are finally turned in.

Alex has the first two episodes looking great, so we'll at least make a good first impression. If they get to the middle and run into rambling chaos, meh, we tried :p

I'll hopefully have time to start Episode 3 today. I have a really weird week, but it should be done by Friday.

I'll let you know tomorrow if I have time to jump onto an episode; in that case, I'll grab the next one.

So, by all working together, we can make something amazing :)

(And, I hope no one is offended, but I'm maybe hoping this is the end of the 'life imitates art' part of the Silmarillion, cause it all gets very dark and everyone dies in the coming seasons.)

Ok just post here which episodes that are taken.
So, by all working together, we can make something amazing :)

(And, I hope no one is offended, but I'm maybe hoping this is the end of the 'life imitates art' part of the Silmarillion, cause it all gets very dark and everyone dies in the coming seasons.)
No nobody wants to be chained in the halls of Mandos or lose a hand or anything either...

Ok I'll take a stab at the Red Riding Hood/Not a damsel episode... :)

Oh and it's the episode with the Lamps! :)
SavetheLamps!

Last edited:
I can't promise anything but I might be able to have a go at another episode later on this week. But I guess I'm going to have to fix things on my episode 5 outline as well.

If there are no comments on what I have in the Episode 11 and Episode 13 threads, I'll pdf those and post them in the 'shiny' thread today.

Current plan:

Episode 1-3: Alex
Episode 4: Nick
Episode 5-7: Haakon
Episode 8: Karita?
Episode 9-11: Marie
Episode 12: Nick
Episode 13: Marie

So, it looks like we're covered! Let people know if plans change.

Last edited:
Ok why not say I take episode 7 as well. I can't promise doing a job I'm satisfied with, but it will be readable.

Back