Season 1 Script Discussion: Session 5

I'm a bit concerned.... I just realised that Arathorn was also raised by Elrond, as were his father and grandfather. So Elrond should pretty much know what he's doing, and Gilraen should know that her son is in capable hands.

I mean, I don't really have a problem pushing Gilraen as a bit of a helicopter mom, with high expectations and being generally dissatisfied with her son's education stemming from her larger issues with the loss of her husband, the loss of her home, etc. I would definitely try to go harder on pooh-poohing the happy as opposed to the sad. The issue is going to be balancing her objections and attitude so that she doesn't come across as needlessly, heedlessly morose and negative. I feel like we should be shooting for "critical" with Gilraen. I think the best way to get to that balance will be giving her useful, insightful, reasonable things to say to Lord Elrond, so even if the scales are tipped towards her being a student in much the same way Estel is, she is also giving back to him as a teacher.

Edit: Were they actually raised or just tutored by Elrond? Even then, I think we could easily spin some of the aspects of her husband's personality that she didn't care for as being "elvish" in origin from her perspective.

In episode 2, Gilraen objects to teaching about Melkor, due to the fact that the Numenoreans worshipped him, not because of the darkness of the story. In this episode, she objects to the fairy-tale nature of the story, for this story is just as dark as that of Episode 2.

In episode 2, Gilraen objects to teaching about Melkor, due to the fact that the Numenoreans worshipped him, not because of the darkness of the story. In this episode, she objects to the fairy-tale nature of the story, for this story is just as dark as that of Episode 2.
Alright - please read my outline and let me know if you think I should change anything.

Ok, just some notes based on the discussion we had for this episode.
We had left off with the idea to use metal being Mairon's rather than Melkor's (which I see was missed before you got to it), with Melkor coming up with the method of production. Aulë had originally been focussed on the idea of making them as mountains, saying that if they are as big as the plan calls for, they would be too wide, and possibly even collapse the crust.

Everything else is pretty much as we had it, though I would ask that there be more foreboding with the end of this episode. Elrond's pronouncement that the story isn't over yet, should not necessarily hold a hopeful note, considering where we are going to go next.

Certainly, it would be most beneficial if the people doing the outlines tweak the content to improve it. (If I do the outlines, I'm most likely to copy what I already had with minimal editing, so please, add value!)

This is the episode where Gilraen remembers the death of her husband, so she's allowed to seem a bit depressed. But softening her reaction from 'I object!' to (sigh) 'but you know that's not how the world really works' should be fine.

Also, please rename the episode and give it a more appropriate title. Just because I am equating Nessa with Little Red Riding Hood and Manwë in the War of the Powers with the Big Bad Wolf does not mean that we need to put that in writing ;)

Please note that Alex was using italics for the Frame Narrative portions of the outline/characters only, leaving the 'main' story in normal type.

Ok, just some notes based on the discussion we had for this episode.
We had left off with the idea to use metal being Mairon's rather than Melkor's (which I see was missed before you got to it), with Melkor coming up with the method of production. Aulë had originally been focussed on the idea of making them as mountains, saying that if they are as big as the plan calls for, they would be too wide, and possibly even collapse the crust.

Everything else is pretty much as we had it, though I would ask that there be more foreboding with the end of this episode. Elrond's pronouncement that the story isn't over yet, should not necessarily hold a hopeful note, considering where we are going to go next.
Elrond's comforting note is supposed to suggest that they are talking about Gilraen and her son as well as the story he is telling. She is depressed and he tries to tell her that her story isn't over.

Were they actually raised or just tutored by Elrond?

The chieftains of the Dunedain have been fostered in Rivendell as children for generations. The difference is that they all had fathers and/or grandfathers of their own, so while Elrond was likely involved in their education, he was much less a member of the family. Aragorn is the first 'fatherless' chieftain of the Dunedain to be fostered in Rivendell, and that is what makes this situation unique for everyone involved.

Certainly, it would be most beneficial if the people doing the outlines tweak the content to improve it. (If I do the outlines, I'm most likely to copy what I already had with minimal editing, so please, add value!)
I wish I had the time to do more.

Nice! I like how 'the story isn't over yet' fits in with the larger theme of all stories going on and being connected, and different characters having a part to play - like when Sam realized that they were part of the Silmarillion, too.

(Yes, time is the enemy of us all this season - no worries, and we'll do better in Season 2!)

Back