Season 2: Episode 1 - The Awakening of the Elves

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
...or was 'Crisis at Cuivienen' a serious suggestion for the episode title?

Our discussion is currently available here: https://blab.im/nicholas-palazzo-silmfilm-script-discussion-s02e01-k63zyg

And hopefully, Nick will be able to edit it for YouTube as well (see below!)

Our first step is to turn our ideas into an Outline, preferably in a format suitable to script-writing.
Something like this:
0. Skeleton/Story Question –
1. Teaser –
4. First plot point –
6. First pinch point –
8. Mid point –
10. Second pinch point –
12. Second plot point –
14. Climax 1 –
15. Climax 2 –
16. Dénouement –​

There are likely some issues we did not manage to discuss or work out, so discussion can continue here. For instance, if Celeborn is young at the opening of the episode, and we want time to be passing, should he grow up during the War? Or are we going to keep him youthful throughout episode 1, and then show him as an adult when the Ambasadors return? Also, we have failed to introduce Míriel, who should appear in this episode. Details to be worked out....

Last edited:
Here is my first attempt at the Frame Opening for this episode - as you can see, I am *not* familiar with Screenwriting format, so...bear with me. First draft and all of that; I know my dialogue sucks :p. Just trying to get a feel for what we introduce in the beginning and how we emphasize the themes for the season. Feel free to offer criticism.

Establishing Shot: Lothlorien
Arwen is in a flet in a tall tree, looking out over the world. She seems sad/troubled. Nearby, we see the beauty of the golden woods of Lothlorien. Further away, we see the darkness in Southern Mirkwood (Dol Guldor). Her gaze shifts from the Shadow on the forest to the high mountains to the west, and...

Flashback: A party of elves is crossing the High Pass in the Misty Mountains. We focus on one woman in the party. Suddenly, orcs attack! Some elves are killed, and the woman is dragged away by the marauding orcs.

Back to Arwen; closeup of her face, perhaps with tears in her eyes? Someone approaches her from behind.

Celeborn: There you are! (looks at view) You've chosen a beautiful spot.​

Arwen: (dashes away any tears and turns to greet him) Grandfather.​

Celeborn: You have been quiet lately.​

Arwen: I have felt the need to be alone more often these days.​

Celeborn: What is troubling you?​

Arwen: (looks to Dol Guldor) The Shadow is difficult to escape lately.​

Celeborn: (nods) The Shadow has always been with us, since the beginning.​

Arwen: You make it sound as though there is nothing to be done!​

Celeborn: (smiles) It may seem that way at times. I mean that we have always had to contend with it. There is no elf who ever lived who was able to avoid facing the darkness.​

Arwen: I know. I know this darkness is nothing new. But...it seems more urgent now. And I miss my mother's guidance.​

Celeborn: It was always urgent. Even in the beginning of days, on the shores of Cuiviénen.​

Arwen: (looks doubtful) But there were no orcs in those days. I remember the stories my mother told me when I was young, about the elves awakening for the first time on the shores of the lake and seeing the starlight mirrored in the waters there. I always imagined it a place of beauty.​

Celeborn: And so it was, but we also had fears and dangers to face in those days......​

*cut to young Celeborn in the forests near Cuiviénen*

Last edited:
Disorganized rundown of what we discussed - anyone willing to put this into an outline format? (Go to 2:38 in the video on the Blab page to get the summing up part of the discussion.)

Frame: Arwen looking out, flashback of attack on Celebrían, conversation with Celeborn

Opening: Young Celeborn lying on his back enjoying the peaceful idyllic forests near the shores of the Lake. A leisurely shot with the sounds of nature and everything at peace.
Suddenly, an elf (Elwë) bursts onto the scene and drags Celeborn up, telling him to RUN! A group of elves run through the woods, but only Elwë and Celeborn return.

Meeting by firelight: Elwë tells the other elves what he saw. In this meeting, it is revealed that Elwë is the first survivor of an attack by the Dark Rider. Other elves (including many of the Vanyar) have gone missing, but no one knew what had happened to them. We meet Ingwë, who has lost his mother and father, and Finwë who is Elwë's friend and is interested in taking precautions to prevent this in the future. There is a lot of disagreement about what should be done. The Vanyar have been concerned about this for some time (and that's why they live on the island). The Noldor are skeptical about the malicious intent behind the attacks - they know elves have been disappearing, but until now were willing to blame accidents or beasts. The Teleri are rather fearful about all of this and don't know what to do. Dissatisfying end to discussion. [Optional: Mysterious cloaked stranger watching the meeting? Melkor or Sauron?]

{Daily elvish life sequence}

Memorial: The elves gather and sing a lament for the elves who have been lost.
Suddenly, a large figure on a horse appears before them! For a moment, everyone freezes in shock. Then, most of the elves scatter, wanting to get far away from the terrifying figure. Ingwë stands his ground so there is a tableau of him and Oromë staring at one another in both surprise and curiosity. Then, the moment is broken (someone calls Ingwë's name, Nahar stamps, etc) and he too runs away.

War: As the elves are trying to decide what this visitor means (Ingwë insists that this Rider is not a bad thing; other elves are convinced that it is a bad omen). Then, there is an earthquake, sending everyone into panic. The Teleri are terrified ('The Sky is Falling!'). The Noldor accept their fate (We've had a good run, but it's over now.) The Vanyar have Estel (There's nothing we can do about this, but let's trust it will turn out okay). We have the point of view of young Celeborn (possibly with voiceover). In the early part of the battle, there is very remote sounds and flashes from the battle at Utumno. (The viewer should recognize events like the arrival of Eonwë by lighting bolt) The elves abandon some of their houses and build more defensive (underground?) hideouts. As time progresses, the battle seems to die down. There is a lull where the elves wonder...is it over? And then...it is closer! Fire in the trees across the Lake, sounds of battle. The elves decide to evacuate to the island of the Vanyar (ferry boats). There is a discussion about abandoning Cuiviénen. [Some run off into the woods, never to be seen again?] They watch the fires spread around the Lake. Then, it quiets down. A rainstorm comes up and puts out the fires. There is anti-climatic confusion on the part of the elves....is it really over now?

Aftermath: Some time afterwards, the elves have returned to 'life as normal', though they are still all on the island. They have a big-picture plan of spreading out and exploring the world (diaspora). They are preparing their boats and having a feast and song to celebrate 'Hey we're still alive!' [This is meant as a farewell feast for the elves who are leaving the island.] As they are singing their song, Oromë (less tall/terrifying than before) appears on the shore and joins their song, his voice carrying across the water. They...stop singing. Ingwë immediately wants to get in a boat and go to the shore. Other elves try to stop him. He is insistent that he wants to meet this being and that it's not a bad thing. He is hopeful and excited. Elwë is most adamant about him not going, that it's dangerous. Avari-spokesman (from Episode 3) is adamant that all that is waiting for him across the Lake is death. Ingwë informs everyone that he is going regardless, and invites others to come with him. Finwë passionately convinces Elwë of his sense of adventure, and they both join Ingwë in the boat. Their boat leaves first, and then other Vanyar (and some others) get in boats and follow him. The Avari all stay on the island.

Final scene: Ingwë, Finwë and Elwë greet Oromë. We see the other boats coming across the Lake. [Or do we open Episode 2 with this?]

Frame: Celeborn and Arwen debrief - Arwen has more purpose to face this question now. Celeborn emphasizes the choice of response to the Shadow (echoing some of what Ingwë had said). Arwen is no longer silenced/paralyzed by her fears.

Last edited:
Disorganized rundown of what we discussed - anyone willing to put this into an outline format? (Go to 2:38 in the video on the Blab page to get the summing up part of the discussion.)

As I'm at work, here is a very rough first pass. If someone could go through the video and put in as many details as possible, that would be appreciated.

0. Skeleton/Story Question
After surviving an attack by the Dark Rider, Elwë tries to overcome his fear. But will he succeed when the War of the Powers threatens Cuiviénen?

1. Teaser
Frame: Celebrían flashback. Arwen and Old Celeborn.
Main: Elwë saves Celeborn.

Act One
Establish Cuiviénen settlements and three tribes.

Meeting by firelight.

4. First plot point
Memorial interrupted by Oromë.

Act Two
Elves try to decide what this visitor means.

6. First pinch point
Earthquake, lightning, panic.

Early battle

8. Mid point
Lull, fire across the lake.

Act Three
Evacuation to Vanyar island.

10. Second pinch point
Fire in the sky, discussion of abandoning Cuiviénen.

The battle's anticlimax. Rebuild and return to life as normal.

12. Second plot point
Establish diaspora plan. Oromë interrupts.

Act Four
Ingwë wants to get in a boat and go to the shore. Other elves try to stop him.

14. Climax 1
Elwë is most adamant about him not going, that it's dangerous. Avari-spokesman (from Episode 3) is adamant that all that is waiting for him across the Lake is death. Ingwë informs everyone that he is going regardless, and invites others to come with him.

15. Climax 2
Finwë passionately convinces Elwë of his sense of adventure, he and Elwë, who overcomes his fear, join Ingwë in the boat. Their boat leaves first, and then other Vanyar (and some others) get in boats and follow him.

Dénouement
Main: The boats cross the lake, Ingwë, Finwë and Elwë stand in front of Oromë.
Frame: Celeborn emphasizes the choice of response to the Shadow (echoing some of what Ingwë had said). Arwen is no longer silenced/paralyzed by her fears.

On the Avari spokesman, I'm going to propose Morwë, rather than Nurwë. It seems an easier name. Though we could make someone up (maybe a female?). Something to discuss for episode 4.

Wonderful preview image, I think will just go ahead and become a hermit in the mountains somewhere so no human will ever see my face again.

Great job guys! I have one or two questions and random thoughts..

Opening: Young Celeborn lying on his back enjoying the peaceful idyllic forests near the shores of the Lake. A leisurely shot with the sounds of nature and everything at peace.
Suddenly, an elf (Elwë) bursts onto the scene and drags Celeborn up, telling him to RUN! A group of elves run through the woods, but only Elwë and Celeborn return.
I don't think this should be close to the lake. The Hunter should snatch straying elves, so perhaps the elves are exploring the foothills of the Orocarni or something. That could also give us an opportunity to get a nice overlooking view of the bay of Cuiviénen.

[Optional: Mysterious cloaked stranger watching the meeting? Melkor or Sauron?]
I don't think we should show this, the feeling of unknown threat will be bigger if the viewers are at more or less the same level of knowledge as the elves are. (Apart from that, the whole 'Meeting by firelight'-part is really great)

Memorial: The elves gather and sing a lament for the elves who have been lost.
Suddenly, a large figure on a horse appears before them! For a moment, everyone freezes in shock. Then, most of the elves scatter, wanting to get far away from the terrifying figure. Ingwë stands his ground so there is a tableau of him and Oromë staring at one another in both surprise and curiosity. Then, the moment is broken (someone calls Ingwë's name, Nahar stamps, etc) and he too runs away.
This is lovely. But somehow I feel like it is coming too soon, like there isn't enough of the fear of the Hunter before this. Maybe we could cut to Celeborn and Arwen doing some short storytelling, but that would kind of break the spell. I really can't come up with a good idea right now, and the problem isn't that big, so maybe I'll just let it be...

And then...it is closer! Fire in the trees across the Lake, sounds of battle.
Wow, is the War this close?? I thought the Valar had secured this area. I kind of like the image, but I'm not sure I agree that it should be that close.

Elwë is most adamant about him not going, that it's dangerous.
I'm curious, why does Elwë have to be so scared? Somehow it doesn't fit with him being out and about and almost being taken by the Hunter. He seems resourceful, curious and a bit bold, if anything. Maybe wreckless.

I don't think this should be close to the lake. The Hunter should snatch straying elves, so perhaps the elves are exploring the foothills of the Orocarni or something. That could also give us an opportunity to get a nice overlooking view of the bay of Cuiviénen.

I agree with this. Makes sense.

I don't think we should show this, the feeling of unknown threat will be bigger if the viewers are at more or less the same level of knowledge as the elves are. (Apart from that, the whole 'Meeting by firelight'-part is really great)

I tend to agree with this, which is why I was suggesting to have the "mysterious stranger" be Annatar, a face we will not see until the second age. A moment for rewatchers to go, "Oh my God, he was right there!" but not giving anything away to first-time viewers.

This is lovely. But somehow I feel like it is coming too soon, like there isn't enough of the fear of the Hunter before this. Maybe we could cut to Celeborn and Arwen doing some short storytelling, but that would kind of break the spell. I really can't come up with a good idea right now, and the problem isn't that big, so maybe I'll just let it be...

I can see your point here. The fear would have to be built up over the conversation before. First we witness an abduction, then we see the reactions of the elves, possibly even the grief of family members who had loved ones taken.

Wow, is the War this close?? I thought the Valar had secured this area. I kind of like the image, but I'm not sure I agree that it should be that close.

Well, no, the war itself is elemental and remote. What the elves are seeing there is the result of Melkor's attempted assault upon Cuivenin when the battle goes bad for him. Remember how in episode 13, Gothmog leads a small reserve force to strike against the elves, and is thwarted by Ents/Eagles/Oromë/Yavanna? That happens quite close.

I'm curious, why does Elwë have to be so scared? Somehow it doesn't fit with him being out and about and almost being taken by the Hunter. He seems resourceful, curious and a bit bold, if anything. Maybe wreckless.

Indeed, Elwë is bold and adventurous. It is to his curious nature that Finwë so passionately appeals. For a time, his nature is somewhat quelled by the abductions, by the terrifying appearance of Oromë, and by the war itself. Finwë appeals to his former sense of adventure.

I tend to agree with this, which is why I was suggesting to have the "mysterious stranger" be Annatar, a face we will not see until the second age. A moment for rewatchers to go, "Oh my God, he was right there!" but not giving anything away to first-time viewers.
A wonderful idea, but I'm not sure it will work. Annatar would return in, what - ten years? More? Besides, it will be dark, will it be possible to recognise him at all? And would he really look different that Mairon? Where are we on his shape-changing? Sorry, but I think there are too many questions...

I can see your point here. The fear would have to be built up over the conversation before. First we witness an abduction, then we see the reactions of the elves, possibly even the grief of family members who had loved ones taken.
Could we perhaps see them also take some defensive measures, or watch how some elves bring some kind of special equipment when going hiking? Or something like that

Remember how in episode 13, Gothmog leads a small reserve force to strike against the elves, and is thwarted by Ents/Eagles/Oromë/Yavanna? That happens quite close.
Alright, I'm on the wrong track I guess, I like the Ents to be some distance away so that the elves can encounter them on the Journey and the Nandor can stop and try to teach them to speak then. If they're close, that should happen earlier, which I think complicates things too much. But maybe the fire can spread to the lake but the fight itself be, well...not that close.

Indeed, Elwë is bold and adventurous. It is to his curious nature that Finwë so passionately appeals. For a time, his nature is somewhat quelled by the abductions, by the terrifying appearance of Oromë, and by the war itself. Finwë appeals to his former sense of adventure.
Ok. So he's pretty easily persuaded? Then why is he afraid in the first place? It seems like an unnecessary twist to me. But perhaps he isn't motivated by fear, but by the fact that he sees that others are scared. He might want to show leadership by speaking on the behalf of the scared? The problem is, he has seen the Hunter. He should at least have some idea that this is not the same being.

I agree that the opening sequence with Celeborn should not take place right next to the Elvish settlements. However...it's a big lake. They can be far afield and still by the shores of the lake. The setting isn't too important to me, so long as we see the lake almost right away.

Similarly with the end of the Battle - it is across the Lake, so far away, but *much closer* than it was, and the elves have no way of knowing if those wildfires are going to spread around the Lake. Keep in mind how keen elvish eyesight is - they can see distant objects clearly.

We are saving the meeting between Ents and elves for the Journey, yes. They do not meet in the aftermath of this battle.

IF we use the cloaked mysterious stranger, it should just be a shadowy figure standing on the edge of the firelight watching. No lines, no explanation. The purpose would be to ramp up fear of the dark. The viewer would not need to recognize Melkor (or Mairon), but we might see the face.

The conversation by firelight should include some safety talk, and yes, we can see measures implemented. There is the potential for a delay between the meeting by firelight and the memorial; in that time we can see daily life among the elves, but also mothers admonishing their children not to wander alone, etc.

Elwë is adventurous. His adventuring got all of his closest companions kidnapped by the Rider. He's a bit leery of letting other people put themselves in danger now. He did get a glimpse of the Rider, yes, but he was running for his life at the time. He did not form a clear picture, and he can't be sure this isn't the same person. The elves do not ride horses yet, so any rider is the Rider. They also are not aware of any other thinking/speaking beings, so assuming there are 2 different beings out there might be something many of the elves are skeptical of.

As one who was not a proponent of having the viewers see one of our villains present at a council of the Quendi, I shall leave that case for others to make.

Yes, I think that we will see measures decided upon, with the Noldor perhaps suggesting and implementing the manufacture of weapons. (No metal, obviously.)

The Ents being collected for the defense of Cuiviénen does not preclude their scattering afterward. We actually had a rather longish conversation about the Ents which will be more readily available as I publish more video.

Elwë is not necessarily easy to persuade. It is a combination of the steadfast resolve and faith of Ingwë and the passion of Fingwë that convinces him to reject fear of Oromë, who is arguably the most or second most terrifying of the Valar.

He is also not alone in his fear. Think about what he is going through. Would not any rational being react to this situation with fear?

About Elwë Nicholas: Of course it is perfectly sensible to react with fear when a superhuman being appears. I just don't want him to be ruled by his fear. It's not just any person we're talking about, it's one of the most revered elves in history, one of the few who volunteers to go as ambassador to Valinor. I appreciate your ambition to differentiate the ambassadors, but personally, I'd like to see the characterisation of Elwë tweaked a bit, so that he is more sceptical and cautious, more concerned for the safety of the elves (particularly those of his tribe) than afraid.
(I didn't mean earlier MithLuin that Elwë had seen the Hunter clearly - he should feel a great deal of uncertainty.)

It was also important to us that Ingwë be the first to decide to approach, and the most certain, followed by Finwë (who had previously been skeptical) and Elwë last (which is why we have Finwë talk him into it).

The theme of the episode is confronting fear and making decisions in the face of it, so....Elwë should embody that most strongly as our primary character in this episode (he is essentially the protagonist here, with Finwë playing the role of his friend).

We're totally agreed that Ingwë is the first one to approach Oromë, Finwë is second and Elwë is third.
I'm not sure I agree that the fact that we have that theme logically leads to Elwë having to feel fear most strongly, but my point isn't that he should be without fear. I think I have described that I want his fear to be significant but not overwhelming. I don't know how big the difference is between our views but...
Perhaps you might say I want him to fear for the safety of others more than for his own life.

Well, I think we had discussed having Elwë actively attempting to prevent Ingwë from going out to meet with Oromë. Would that be more in line with your thinking, Haakon?

I don't think that Ingwë should be prevented in any way.
Elwë might try to prevent Finwë, though. That's a moment when Elwë might show his concern. When Finwë moves forward, Elwë tries to stop him, saying 'We don't know who or what this is, it might be the Hunter', to which Finwë answers 'Does he look like the Hunter you saw?' - Elwë says he's not sure, it's not obviously the same being but he can't say it isn't the Hunter for certain either. Finwë says 'I will take the risk' and steps forward. He could later just look at Elwë and signal to his friend to join him.
I guess that we can have a more hesitant approach this episode and a more confident feeling among the three when they volunteer to become ambassadors.

I don't really understand why a concerned Elwë couldn't attempt to prevent Ingwë from making the crossing. I think though, that if we put up a more detailed description of the scene as we discussed it, it will make more sense. I'm going to try to get as much video done as possible this evening, and then I can work on text stuff.

I see the Vsnyar as pretty much keeping together by themselves on the island, while the others stay on the shore. And I picture Ingwë as the leader, who is respected and not questioned much. So the other Vanyar won't stop him.

When this scene takes place, all of the elves are on the island, and the only way any of them will be able to meet the Hunter will be by getting onto a boat/raft and going across the lake to the shore.

Back