Season 2 Episode 6: Elvenhome

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
If all goes well, we should be having our Script Discussion on this episode on Saturday Oct 8th at 7:30 PM Eastern Time.

We will have to work out the Indis - Míriel - Finwë relationship, as well as figure out how to make Míriel's pregnancy foreboding and her actions slightly prideful....without making it look like we're blaming her for her sickness or making her evil or anything. We'll also have to decide how the mourning period progresses and when Indis gets involved in Fëanor's childhood.

And of course this will also be the reappearance of Elwë and Melian and the beginning of his kingdom among the Sindar (definitively deciding to *stay* in Middle Earth), as well as the Teleri disembarking from Tol Eressëa and building Alqualondë (and the earliest swan ships).

So, lots to do, and please join us if you can!

[There is a chance I will be late/miss this session, as I have plans during the day and don't know when I'll be back, but I'll make an effort to be there if I can!]

Notes on crap Brian wants to talk about before the Session ends and his ideas are lost when GoToWebinar closes:

Is it really all that valuable (or indeed, Tolkienian) to make Ingwe THE FIRST ELF all caps? I feel like probably if Tolkien wanted him to be that, he would have? Professor Olsen says that we get a "mythicness", a weight from this change, but I'm inclined to believe this was intentionally avoided by Tolkien, though why, I couldn't say without doing some research and pondering.

Ingwe as one of the -we Bros.: we had originally said that Finwe and Elwe were homies, but we sort of left Ingwe to be a bit aloof: I think we can start that way, but agree with the professor that leaving it this way such that they be left out of the ferrying episode isn't the best angle for us to be coming from. Finwe should be choosing between Ingwe and Elwe in this episode, and while we should be maybe a bit surprised that he chooses Ingwe over Elwe, we should accept it, which means that their relationship should have developed to the point where that is a reasonable prospect. The Vanyar's enthusiasm for Valinor should be infectious to the Noldor, and Ingwe should grow in friendship with both Finwe and Elwe. They are still very "go team Valinor" over the course of the journey.

Last edited:
Is it really all that valuable (or indeed, Tolkienian) to make Ingwe THE FIRST ELF all caps? I feel like probably if Tolkien wanted him to be that, he would have? Professor Olsen says that we get a "mythicness", a weight from this change, but I'm inclined to believe this was intentionally avoided by Tolkien, though why, I couldn't say without doing some research and pondering.

Tolkien had a variety of thoughts on this subject. The (late) version of the awakening of the elves features 'Imin' as the first elf of the Vanyar. His name literally means 'first'. It's told in a very children's story mode.

In the Lhammas (HoME V, pre-LotR but post-Hobbit), Ingwë is indeed the first elf to awaken. Corey taught the Mythgard Academy class on this days before we turned in the outline of Episode 1 the first time, and no doubt that influenced his 'no parents for Ingwë!' attitude. Oromë finds the elves almost immediately and teaches them language. [The elves have no pre-Valar-contact culture in this version of the story.] I don't think Tolkien meant to stick with this, and it does not fit our timeline [with elven culture flourishing at Cuivienen for a full generation before the Valar find them.

I am not in love with this idea, obviously, but we've now fought the execs on this multiple times and they keep coming back with, 'No, Ingwë is first, he doesn't have any parents or siblings.' So...that's what Corey Olsen wants to do, and that's what we are going to have to put in the Script Outlines.

The consequence is that now Ingwë has a dead wife (who is also Indis' mother). I think that Haakon's suggestion of having this wife return from Mandos to Ingwë solves most of my problems with the 'don't distract from Míriel' issue, and is probably the best way to show elvish reincarnation rather than just talk about it.

Ingwe as one of the -we Bros.: we had originally said that Finwe and Elwe were homies, but we sort of left Ingwe to be a bit aloof: I think we can start that way, but agree with the professor that leaving it this way such that they be left out of the ferrying episode isn't the best angle for us to be coming from. Finwe should be choosing between Ingwe and Elwe in this episode, and while we should be maybe a bit surprised that he chooses Ingwe over Elwe, we should accept it, which means that their relationship should have developed to the point where that is a reasonable prospect. The Vanyar's enthusiasm for Valinor should be infectious to the Noldor, and Ingwe should grow in friendship with both Finwe and Elwe. They are still very "go team Valinor" over the course of the journey.

We were kinda grasping about for someone for Finwë to be talking to in that episode, so making Ingwë a friend works. It also explains how Míriel and Indis end up spending time together. If we have to keep the Vanyar and the Noldor on the same Ferry....we can give Ingwë something to do.

I felt that was an inordinate amount of push-back over a minor structural change to the story, but if the Execs hate it, I'll get rid of the extra Ferry ride.

I mean, I think we can do what they want and still argue about it. The fact that Ingwe WAS the first and then that idea was abandoned seems rather to make restoring that to him even less appealing. I personally feel like it's too cliché and really sort of goofy to say "well he's the oldest...". Whether he has siblings or not is kind of immaterial to me, it seems like such a flimsy and inappropriate thing in a world full of "regular folks" being heroes... or maybe that's purely a Third age motif, I dunno.

The return of Ingwë's wife might indeed solve a few problems, but it also creates the task of showing her return.

So how does it work? Does she reincarnate in Valinor? In that case, when? Or is she reborn into the Vanyar community...during the Journey? Or on the Ferry? Or in Valinor?

We also need to put some effort on keeping the viewers reminded of her before she returns. By the way, she needs a name. Iminyë?

I was thinking it would be interesting if Ingwë's now- dead wife came back to him in episode 5, giving us yet another reason for Ingwë to love the Valar and want to live on Taniquetil besides a rocky relationship with the Noldor.

Last edited:
Yes...I think that timing is good. We perhaps don't have to show very much. Ingwë can visit the Valar and return with his adult wife restored to him. The question of how the rebirth/re-embodiment was accomplished can remain open. Lorien could be involved in some way.

We mention her death in Episodes 1 and 2 in the outlines. Her death could also be brought up in Episode 3 as part of 'this is a dangerous place' arguments. Perhaps even used against Ingwë as the Vanyar are making strong pro-Valinor arguments, and someone says 'you just say that because you lost your wife' - showing that the debate is getting rather nasty.

If we mention her death three times, forget her for an episode and then have her return that should work. And then when Míriel dies, Finwë could be the 'only' one experiencing this grief and all of Indis' attempts to relate to Fëanor in a 'I know what it's like to grow up without a mother' way can be overshadowed by 'yeah, but yours came BACK, so you know nothing of what I'm experiencing'.

Last night's session was great. Sadly, I missed the end but here's as far as I got in my (slightly disorganized) notes:

Teaser
  • Tol Eressëa gets grounded (Teleri or Osse making that decision?)
  • It being referred to as the "Lonely Isle" in conversation, thus the name

- Episode protagonist/s: Finwë/Míriel?
- Climax: Míriel's death/Finwë's reaction to her death?

Act I
  • Announcement of the pregnancy
  • Míriel has a mystical awareness that tells her she is with child
  • Míriel tells Indis (after telling Finwë)
  • Finwë's reaction to the news (Míriel has vision, passes out, reassures Finwë all is well upon regaining consciousness)

End of Act I:

* Míriel starts experiencing problems with the pregnancy
  • Wastes away as pregnancy progresses (someone explains this to Finwë, "She's putting too much of herself...")
  • She's pouring so much of herself into this child because .... ?
- It's about time and she's making the absolute best of it (having had so many interruptions before)
- Doing it for Finwë (choice should be more proactive, less selfless on her part?)
- Visions of Fëanor's greatness
- Parents naturally want to put the best into having children, etc.

Act II
  • Teleri stuff (the building of Alqualondë)
  • Fëanor's birth (interspersed with visions)
- Este attending
- Someone remarks the amount of pain she’s in is unusual
- takes a really long time (lengthy drawn out labour)

Act III
  • Confrontation in Nan Elmoth
- Wolves show up and attack search party, disperse when Melian and Elwë emerge, Melian helps one of the injured

• Switch back to Valinor
- Míriel is weakening, says she's tired and would like to go to Lórien, Finwë readily complies
- Death scene ("Do not hold me accountable", etc)
  • Final Angband scene (Sauron & co....Draugluin(?) walks in to report, Sauron in the middle of creating an orc, etc.)
  • Back in Valinor, everyone sad, Finwë grieving
- Visits Lórien with young Fëanor, (show scene where Fëanor visits alone?)
- Finwë learns Elwë isn't coming (before Míriel dies? Otherwise the news may be eclipsed by her death)
- Finwë confronts the Valar?

Okay, that's all I have and some parts are missing, but I really like how Míriel's pregnancy is handled and the idea of Elwë and his new bride coming back in the midst of chaos. To supplement the interspersed visions during birth, maybe we could have Míriel "hearing" an angry/passionate, resonating voice saying unintelligible things at first which gradually become fragments of what will be Fëanor's address to the Noldor (and possibly the crowd's response?). And then perhaps even a line or two of the Oath? I suspect there may be a glimpse of burning ships (or not?), but I think it would be interesting to include Fëanor's voice somewhere in there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the note-taking, Richol! That's really helpful.

One of the challenges of this episode is that it focuses a lot on Míriel, but as she dies before the end, it's difficult to keep her as the protagonist. We'll probably have to hear her speak from Mandos after her death (or at least have her words reported so that she's still playing a role in the story.)

To keep track of the other side character story lines....

Elwë and Melian
His people have been searching for him, but most have given up hope. He and Melian return in time to rescue some of their people from werewolves. Everyone is very surprised to see Melian, but they accept her as their queen when they see that Elwë loves her and that she cares for their people as well (healing someone injured by the werewolves). Elwë is renamed 'Thingol'?

Sauron
He has finished making the werewolves as his 'muscle' against the balrogs, but Drauglin returns with his tail between his legs after meeting Melian. Sauron is involved in some ill-defined elf torture/experimentation that is clearly part of the Necromantic Orc Project. It may involve ripping elven souls out of their bodies and stuffing them in some other type of body. Sauron is frustrated by his secondary position to the balrogs, and reaching a 'none of you will ever understand my intentions' point.

Olwë
At Ossë's request, Olwë agrees to the anchoring of the island ferry. The Teleri do not want to lose their friend Ossë, who is forbidden to approach the coast of Valinor after that whole rebellion debacle last season. After a time, though, the Teleri get curious about the just-out-of-reach Valinor, and Olwë asks Ossë to help them build boats. Ossë agrees, knowing it means he will lose his friends, and the 'Lonely Isle' gets its name. The Teleri finally reach Valinor, and build Alqualondë on the shores of the Sea.

Indis
Early in this episode, her friend Míriel tells her that she's pregnant, and makes it clear that she wants Indis to stay in Tirion for awhile longer. But the other Vanyar have moved to Valmar, including Indis' father (Ingwë) and her newly-reembodied mother. Indis is torn between her people and her friend, but decides to stay a little bit longer. She visits Míriel after the difficult birth, and we see a very tired Míriel trying to tell her friend that she just can't do this. Indis tries to be supportive, but doesn't understand the cause or extent of Míriel's exhaustion. When Míriel decides to go to Lorien, Indis goes to Valmar thinking she'll see her friend again later.

Fëanor
Born halfway through the episode, he is a very healthy baby despite earlier concerns. He spends his earliest years in his parents' house, which is somewhat hushed because of his mother's mysterious wasting illness. He is there when his parents say goodbye to one another, and he is there when Finwë returns to visit Míriel, only to find her dead. He visits his mother's 'graveside', bringing her little items that he has made for her. He hopes she will wake up someday, but he is too young to understand that that isn't going to happen.

Finwë
He is overjoyed with the news that he and Míriel are going to have a child. But that quickly turns to worry as her pregnancy becomes a bit unusual. She has fainting spells during which she experiences visions, and she loses weight in a way that concerns the midwives. When the labor is very long, Finwë fears he may lose his wife or the baby. But...everything's fine! Healthy baby, tired mom, time to start family life with a newborn. It seems that nothing he can do helps Míriel recover, though, so he is still quite worried about her. Then, the Teleri arrive in Valinor with news that Elwë is lost in Middle Earth and the Island Ferry is now permanently rooted, so there is no way to go back and find him. Finwë is devastated by this news, because he was really looking forward to seeing his friend Elwë and he could really use a friend right now. Then Míriel tells him she's like to go to Lorien, and he's happy that she made a request he can do something about and takes this as a sign that she's 'getting better' and will come back rested enough to spend time with their toddler child. However, when he returns to Lorien to visit her, he finds her dead (well, 'spirit fled' or whatever) and breaks down, railing against the Valar in a 'how could you let this happen?' way. Estë and Irmo, who have been involved in helping during the birth and after, try to explain about her pouring too much of her spirit into the child and there's nothing they can do. Finwë rallies a bit when he realizes that...this isn't forever, she'll come back....Ingwë's wife came back, so.... And then Námo informs him that, no, Míriel will *not* be coming back. And he is crushed. He is heartbroken and mourning alone for his lost wife. Later, he and Fëanor visit the 'graveside' together.

Míriel
She is happy to finally be having a child with Finwë. She is effusive and excited to share this news with her husband Finwë and later her good friend Indis. The first unusual thing to happen is that she has a vision of her child, and when the vision ends, she is being helped up from the floor where she fainted. She assures everyone that she's fine, and happily tells Finwë that she's having a son! She continues to have visions throughout the pregnancy, and concludes that her child will be awesome :D. The pregnancy takes a lot of energy, though, and is difficult for her. She thinks if she can just make it to the birth, she'll be fine. During the (very long) labor, she has another vision that reveals some of the darker aspects of Fëanor's future - [Oath by torchlight, kinslaying, ship burning, death-by-balrog, or something like that]. She names him Fëanor, and informs Finwë that there will be no more children. She has trouble facing what she has wrought - in trying to make her son the best and greatest ever and sharing as much of her spirit with him as she could, she seems to have....set him up for an epic fall and she can not bring herself to watch that happen. She tries to explain to Indis and Finwë (separately), but they don't really understand. Finally, she decides to go to Lorien as she just can't take it any more. She says farewell to Indis, and then later to Finwë and little Fëanor. Then, when left to her own devices, she flees her body and chooses to go to Mandos. She then refuses to consider re-embodiment.

Thematically tying this all together with 'everyone needs to find their home' is a nice idea, but geesh, this is not an easy task!

Oh no, Karita is silent in the first video! I can't hear what she's saying :(. Luckily, she's there in video 2.

I know. It took me a while to fix that.... That's why you see me watching the screen to the side a lot. The good news is that I can now properly manage a larger group since I have the tools ironed out better.

Back