Season 4 Casting Call

Could we, maybe merge cekeborns greenelf sister with the character Evranin or nielthi? I mean... sure thaese are not silve4headed or treelike Sinda noble names, but then again i am not sticking to the names but the character concept... the names could be changed ( but Nielthi and Evranin ARE beautiful names... and they are goldogrin/Lemberin so maybe could be used as Nandorian).

I suggested some silver-tree names for Celeborn's sister. I'd rather save the names Evranin and Nielthi for characters that we'll inevitably need in the future. Evranin could be Lenwe's distant relative who marries Oropher.

Let's try to stick to the casting list here, shall we?

I recognise that people who want to put more names on the list (and I do, too) but I want us to remember that there will be opportunities to add characters later on, during the episode work. It will be easier to show how a minor character will have to be introduced when looking at a specific, minor situation.

So what has actually been decided about the frame? I feel there's a risk that the frame becomes something in which everyone puts their not-so-well-thought-through wishes (I'm not actually accusing anyone but myself), wanting to meet favourite characters again.

But it's this, right?:
  • Gandalf
  • Balin
  • Thranduil
  • Dain Ironfoot
  • Legolas?
  • Bard
  • Bard's son and/or wife?
  • a Raven?
  • another Dwarf? (Bombur? a woman?)
The question marks (and the whole list) are Faelivrin's.

Let's try to stick to the casting list here, shall we?

I recognise that people who want to put more names on the list (and I do, too) but I want us to remember that there will be opportunities to add characters later on, during the episode work. It will be easier to show how a minor character will have to be introduced when looking at a specific, minor situation.

So what has actually been decided about the frame? I feel there's a risk that the frame becomes something in which everyone puts their not-so-well-thought-through wishes (I'm not actually accusing anyone but myself), wanting to meet favourite characters again.

But it's this, right?:
  • Gandalf
  • Balin
  • Thranduil
  • Dain Ironfoot
  • Legolas?
  • Bard
  • a Raven?
The question marks (and the whole list) are Faelivrin's.
Sounds about right.

Ok so @MithLuin do you think you could run that list by the execs? Or are we going to have a special Frame Session before the episodes?

I *think* the plan is to deal with the Frame during the in-between creative episodes. I don't think we intend to have a Frame session before getting to the episodes, but there is one last planning session left where we break down the episodes, and that would be as good a time as any to revisit the plan for the Frame.

So, for example, if the Execs discuss episodes 1 & 2 in one session, the next session might focus on the Sindarin/Quenya issue, as well as the Frame story for the first two episodes, and touch on questions like what Ringil looks like or how ruined Maedhros looks after hanging on the cliff so long. Since this is something new we're trying, I am not sure exactly what they envision the creative-focused sessions looking like. I imagine that Corey Olsen will provide 'Questions for Next Time' as usual to indicate the plans for the discussion.

So, the short answer is that I am not sure when the best time to discuss Frame characters will be, but I will include that list in what I send along for session 4-12, and we'll go from there.

To recap:

Session 4-11: Friday March 29th - Discuss overall season plan (Gantt chart)
Session 4-12: Episode breakdown, Review Frame?
Session 4-13: Episode 1-2 Plot Discussion
Session 4-14: Episodes 1-2 Creative Discussion (+ Frame)
Session 4-15: Episodes 3-4 Plot Discussion
Session 4-16: Episodes 3-4 Creative Discussion (+ Frame)
ETC

But, that is of course subject to change if it doesn't work out quite as intended (a distinct possibility!)

In general, casting questions (character descriptions, etc) should be part of the creative sessions rather than the 'what happens in these episodes?' discussion. But the introduction of minor characters will no doubt come up when we discuss plot, which should lend itself to bringing up that character in the follow-up session to get any feedback.

The casting itself is an issue for creative sessions but I want the execs to 1) specify which characters are major and which ones are minor, and give us a heads up on 2) specific traits that are important in actors/actresses, and 3) skills necessary, if any (singing, for example). If they don’t think these things are important, they can just say they’ll take what we bring (but then, there’s less room to criticise our choices). The idea is to make the casting process better.

Last edited:
Alright, so Session 4-13 will be our first creative session, and the content is up to us! So, definitely sounds like a good opportunity to bring in the Frame Character questions.

So, here's the List:
  • Gandalf
  • Balin
  • Thranduil
  • Dain Ironfoot
  • Legolas?
  • Bard
  • a Raven?
Bilbo is already cast, correct? James McAvoy

And here's our questions:
1) specify which characters are major and which ones are minor, and give us a heads up on
2) specific traits that are important in actors/actresses, and
3) skills necessary, if any (singing, for example).

I'd be for having Bard's wife or a female dwarf play a role in the Frame -- seems like an easy way to get more women in the story (and a major reason I was surprised PJ & Co. made Bard a widower in the films...).

"Singing" as an example for question 3 made me consider that it might be fun to have a man/woman singer, so they can sing songs of the Coming and/or Death of Smaug to be contrasted to elven songs telling the same story. I know we don't actually have elf/man interactions until next season (that's still true, right?), but we can foreshadow/introduce the concept as early as we like. I'd suggest Bard's wife for that role, mostly because having the stoic and dutiful guardsman/bowman (who also has some gift of prophecy) king partnered with a "keeper of memories" queen appeals to me.

Alright, so Session 4-13 will be our first creative session, and the content is up to us! So, definitely sounds like a good opportunity to bring in the Frame Character questions.

So, here's the List:
  • Gandalf
  • Balin
  • Thranduil
  • Dain Ironfoot
  • Legolas?
  • Bard
  • a Raven?
Bilbo is already cast, correct? James McAvoy

And here's our questions:
1) specify which characters are major and which ones are minor, and give us a heads up on
2) specific traits that are important in actors/actresses, and
3) skills necessary, if any (singing, for example).
Looks like a good list, also bring up the list of characters in the main story as well?

We will likely have at least 3-4 of these 'Creative' sessions, so I'm fine with holding off on the main list until we're a little further into the season. Focusing on the Frame first gives us a chance to show the Hosts what we want them to do with these character lists/what sort of discussion we're hoping for.

As for other dwarves...any chance Dís is there? She lost her brother and her sons in the battle they are commemorating, so it seems her viewpoint would be a pretty stark example of the cost of war. She's not a war widow (as far as we know) but still. She also might have feelings about whether or not the elves could or should have intervened differently and changed the outcome.....

We will likely have at least 3-4 of these 'Creative' sessions, so I'm fine with holding off on the main list until we're a little further into the season. Focusing on the Frame first gives us a chance to show the Hosts what we want them to do with these character lists/what sort of discussion we're hoping for.

As for other dwarves...any chance Dís is there? She lost her brother and her sons in the battle they are commemorating, so it seems her viewpoint would be a pretty stark example of the cost of war. She's not a war widow (as far as we know) but still. She also might have feelings about whether or not the elves could or should have intervened differently and changed the outcome.....
I hadn't thought about Dis, to be honest. And the Frame cast list is to test the ground? I can live with that.

Beorn: his date of death is not mentioned, but before TA 3018. We could kill him off and have his son Grimbeorn show up.

Wait a minute: isn’t Thranduil a Sinda of Doriath?

Not on board with Thranduil being a weak character, since Legolas has to get positive traits from somewhere.

Last edited:
Input from today's session:

Bard is a bit dark and foreboding - maybe a unibrow, craggy face, someone whose appearance makes people take a step back (not 'cute' or 'sunny'), dark coloring

Bard's wife can have Marielle's description - sunny, 'keeper of memories', singer - much more personable than her husband, 'gets things done' (brisk), wisdom, seeing to the heart of things. Maybe a Beorning? of the Woodsmen. Not 'girly'. Strong.

Bain will be a teenager - maybe 13-14? - softer than his dad, lighter coloring, minor character (maybe one scene with Bilbo?) Represents the 'new generation of Men' growing up in a post-Battle of Five Armies world.

Beorn? He could maybe be included - up to us if we want him. If so, he's like Bard, but even moreso on the foreboding front. And 8 ft tall.

Thranduil - blond, willowy?, weak, stern, haughtiness of someone with low self-confidence, Mark Gatiss, 'British Raj', not admirable, why not Orlando Bloom?, short

Legolas - can be dark-haired, stronger than his father, (not Orlando Bloom), not really tall, but potentially taller than his father. [Aragorn should be taller than Legolas.]

darker-skinned elves in Mirkwood? Maybe Native American. [ethnic variation up to us]

Celeborn's sister - should look like a relative of Celeborn; firm and reserved; isolationist, rarely speaks. Mysterious. Intimidating. [Mandos role] Tony's suggestion: 'beautiful woodswitch'

Balin is old, friendly, and outgoing - smiling face. Everyone's favorite grandfather.
Dain is younger, but not young. Quiet; doesn't say much, gentle in speech. Taciturn but reliable. [Not pompous like Thorin.]
Dís is also a senior dwarf. NOT a voice for reconciliation. Very stern and severe. Matriarchal. Everyone's a bit afraid of her (even Dain).
Longbeards are which ethnic group? 'Typical' dwarves
The Blue Mountains are the 'refugee camp' of all the dwarves from Nogrod, Belegost, Moria, and Erebor.

Gandalf is described in the book very well; go with that.

talking Ravens give snarky rebukes

So, here's the updated List:
  • Gandalf
  • Balin
  • Dís
  • Thranduil
  • Dain Ironfoot
  • Legolas
  • Celeborn's sister
  • Bard
  • Bard's son Bain
  • Bard's wife
  • Ravens - Röac is still alive, and maybe a younger one as well?
  • new Master of Lake-town?
  • Beorn?
Bilbo is already cast: James McAvoy

Last edited:
As a heads up, as we plan out the season, it is likely that we will include fewer, not more characters in the Frame. Others may be there in passing, but with only 2 short scenes per episode, we are unlikely to introduce that entire list. So, we'll start with that now, and see what happens as we go. Until now, we've had more like 3-5 main characters in a Frame. So, I'm fine with Bilbo, Thranduil, Dain, and Bard being the central characters, and the others are there for color and to fill things out a bit. Which means....it's going to be mighty tricky to give them each a moment in the spotlight. But we'll see!

Well, Gandalf and Balin will have to be pretty involved as well. And Dís, it seems? And Celeborn’s sister..?

Okay so the June 7th Session will focus on Casting for Season 4!

Here is the list of characters Haakon has come up with to present to the Hosts:

• Caranthir
  • Adult Idril
  • Ecthelion
  • Glorfindel
  • Edhellos
  • Glaurung (Voice)
  • Orodreth's wife (Meril?)
  • Annael
  • Rog (renamed)
  • Fankil? (in Hildorien)
  • A sibling (or two) of Celeborn (at least a sister?)
  • Oropher? (Perhaps not this season)
  • Curufin’s wife (name?)
  • Thorondor (Voice)

Any suggestions for additional characters to discuss next week? Just as for the Frame, we will ask the Hosts to comment on their casting needs for each character - the same questions we asked them about the Frame characters.

My apologies, the casting for Season 4 will be discussed during Session 4-19 on Thursday July 11th.

Back