Season 4 Casting Call

I had thought that he’d be introduced in Angband, accompany Morgoth to Hildorien and be left in charge there.
Ok so he'd be shown briefly before Morgoth leaves, taking him along? I don't think that makes casting necessary.

So this is the list:
  • Adult Idril (consider Turgon - Pål Sverre Hagen ;Elenwë - Gabriella Wilde; Young Idril - Mckenna Grace)
  • Ecthelion
  • Glorfindel
  • Rog (renamed)
  • Edhellos
  • Orodreth's wife (Meril?)
  • Annael
  • Another sibling of Celeborn (sister in frame)?
  • Oropher? (Perhaps not this season)
  • Curufin’s wife (name?)
  • Thorondor (voice)
  • Glaurung (voice)
  • Caranthir (already specified)

Last edited:
Question: are we going to be casting Gil-Galad anytime soon?
He never really came up on the list, most likely because he isn’t born yet; we're casting his mother after Orodreth was cast for Season 3. It was decided that Gil-galad would be Orodreth’s father (meaning that all the fan art we’ve seen of him is wrong) and he’d still likely be a small child by Glaurung’s debut (in the published Silmarillion where he is Fingon’s son he is presumably too young to rule which explains why the kingship of the Noldor passes to Turgon).

Last edited:
This is the final list, as I understand things. I'm probably not 100% correct, so please take a look and comment:

MAIN STORY:

• Adult Idril (consider Turgon - Pål Sverre Hagen ;Elenwë - Gabriella Wilde; Young Idril - Mckenna Grace). Wise, blonde, small and slight, princess-like, cute, physically unimposing
  • Ecthelion: dark, rugged, physically powerful. Sings well.
  • Glorfindel: gorgeous, blond
  • Rhogrin: physically largest captain of Gondolin, dark-haired, swarthy
  • Edhellos: dark, physically imposing, Herald of Angrod
  • Meril: Orodreth's wife. Should look young, less formal because of her Sindar culture
  • Annael: thin, small, wiry, dark-haired, dark skin, soft-spoken, sunnier personality before capture
  • Galathil: Celeborn’s sister (same in frame).
  • Diriel: Curufin’s wife.
  • Thorondor (voice): Manwe’s voice but altered
  • Glaurung (voice): rich and persuasive, mellifluous, creepily beautiful, not evil sounding
  • Caranthir: heavy jaw, muscular, good sneer, not ugly
FRAME:

• Gandalf: is described in the book very well; go with that.
  • Balin: old, friendly, and outgoing - smiling face. Everyone's favorite grandfather.
  • Thranduil: - blond, willowy?, weak, stern, haughtiness of someone with low self-confidence, Mark Gatiss, 'British Raj', not admirable, why not Orlando Bloom? (Let's not - my comment), short.
  • Dain Ironfoot: younger, but not young. Quiet; doesn't say much, gentle in speech. Taciturn but reliable. [Not pompous like Thorin.]
  • Legolas: can be dark-haired, stronger than his father, (not Orlando Bloom), not really tall, but potentially taller than his father. [Aragorn should be taller than Legolas.] EDIT: CASTING CANCELLED
  • Bard: Bard is a bit dark and foreboding - maybe a unibrow, craggy face, someone whose appearance makes people take a step back (not 'cute' or 'sunny'), dark coloring
  • Ragna: Bard's wife - sunny, 'keeper of memories', singer - much more personable than her husband, 'gets things done' (brisk), wisdom, seeing to the heart of things. Maybe a Beorning? of the Woodsmen. Not 'girly'. Strong.
  • Bain: Son of Bard and Ragna. Bain will be a teenager - maybe 13-14? - softer than his dad, lighter coloring, minor character (maybe one scene with Bilbo?) Represents the 'new generation of Men' growing up in a post-Battle of Five Armies world. EDIT: CASTING CANCELLED
  • Galathil: Celeborn's sister - should look like a relative of Celeborn; firm and reserved; isolationist, rarely speaks. Mysterious. Intimidating. [Mandos role] Tony's suggestion: 'beautiful woodswitch'
  • Dís: a senior dwarf. NOT a voice for reconciliation. Very stern and severe. Matriarchal. Everyone's a bit afraid of her (even Dain).
  • Roac (voice): a raven. EDIT: CASTING CANCELLED

Last edited:
This is the final list, as I understand things. I'm probably not 100% correct, so please take a look and comment:

MAIN STORY:

• Adult Idril (consider Turgon - Pål Sverre Hagen ;Elenwë - Gabriella Wilde; Young Idril - Mckenna Grace). Wise, blonde, small and slight, princess-like, cute, physically unimposing
  • Ecthelion: dark, rugged, physically powerful.
  • Glorfindel: gorgeous, blond
  • Rhogrin: physically largest captain of Gondolin, dark-haired, swarthy
  • Edhellos: dark, physically imposing, Herald of Angrod
  • Meril: Orodreth's wife. Should look young, less formal because of her Sindar culture
  • Annael: thin, small, wiry, dark-haired, dark skin, soft-spoken, sunnier personality before capture
  • Galathil: Celeborn’s sister (same in frame).
  • Diriel: Curufin’s wife.
  • Thorondor (voice): Manwe’s voice but altered
  • Glaurung (voice): rich and persuasive, mellifluous, creepily beautiful, not evil sounding
  • Caranthir: heavy jaw, muscular, good sneer, not ugly
FRAME:

• Gandalf: is described in the book very well; go with that.
  • Balin: old, friendly, and outgoing - smiling face. Everyone's favorite grandfather.
  • Thranduil: - blond, willowy?, weak, stern, haughtiness of someone with low self-confidence, Mark Gatiss, 'British Raj', not admirable, why not Orlando Bloom? (Let's not - my comment), short.
  • Dain Ironfoot: younger, but not young. Quiet; doesn't say much, gentle in speech. Taciturn but reliable. [Not pompous like Thorin.]
  • Legolas: can be dark-haired, stronger than his father, (not Orlando Bloom), not really tall, but potentially taller than his father. [Aragorn should be taller than Legolas.]
  • Bard: Bard is a bit dark and foreboding - maybe a unibrow, craggy face, someone whose appearance makes people take a step back (not 'cute' or 'sunny'), dark coloring
  • Ragna: Bard's wife - sunny, 'keeper of memories', singer - much more personable than her husband, 'gets things done' (brisk), wisdom, seeing to the heart of things. Maybe a Beorning? of the Woodsmen. Not 'girly'. Strong.
  • Bain: Son of Bard and Ragna. Bain will be a teenager - maybe 13-14? - softer than his dad, lighter coloring, minor character (maybe one scene with Bilbo?) Represents the 'new generation of Men' growing up in a post-Battle of Five Armies world.
  • Galathil: Celeborn's sister - should look like a relative of Celeborn; firm and reserved; isolationist, rarely speaks. Mysterious. Intimidating. [Mandos role] Tony's suggestion: 'beautiful woodswitch'
  • Dís: a senior dwarf. NOT a voice for reconciliation. Very stern and severe. Matriarchal. Everyone's a bit afraid of her (even Dain).
  • Roac (voice): a raven.
Sounds good; I’ve had my reservations about what they want for Idril (the Hosts themselves have said in the Season 3 casting session that they want taller actresses for Elven women), wondering about whether or not we want to have Arminas cast since @Rhiannon introduced him this season and he’ll play a role down the line, or will we cast him later?

I’ve had my reservations about what they want for Idril (the Hosts themselves have said in the Season 3 casting session that they want taller actresses for Elven women),
I know but as you know you're free to nominate anyone you think is right for the part. I will feel free to note that the casting criteria aren't met, though (if there's a significant difference).
wondering about whether or not we want to have Arminas cast since @Rhiannon introduced him this season and he’ll play a role down the line, or will we cast him later?
No. @Rhiannon have introduced a lot of characters and if we'd do casting for all of them we'd have a list twice as long. It's sufficient to know when those characters first appeared, when they have more important roles, we will get into casting.

Last edited:
I know but as you know you're free to nominate anyone you think is right for the part. I will feel free to note that the casting criteria aren't met, though (if there's a significant difference).

No. @Rhiannon have introduced a lot of characters and if we'd do casting for all of them we'd have a list twice as long. It's sufficient to know when those characters first appeared, went they have more important roles, we will get into casting.
I'm mostly introducing characters so I do not have to call those with minor speaking parts "Elf 1," "Elf 2," etc. We don't need to cast them all.

Agreed - we only want to cast characters who have been talked about in the sessions. If the Hosts want to comment on some of those minor characters during the script review and request that we cast them, or talk about who they'd want cast, we could consider adding to the list, but I think they can all wait til next season (and not every minor character needs to be cast).

If anything, I think we have too many names on the Frame list. While those were all potential characters for this season, I'm not sure they all even have lines, whereas other characters not mentioned there (such as Thorin III Stonehelm) do. I'd rather trim the Frame casting list down to characters who are significant enough in the Frame to appear in multiple episodes and actually have a characterization. So, in my opinion, Legolas, for example, should not be cast at this time (even if we do give him a cameo in the Frame this season), and Bain son of Bard doesn't need to be cast, either. The voice of Roac probably isn't all that significant, but I'm fine with leaving that on the casting list because it would be good to get an idea what we have in mind for a Raven to sound like.

Right. I suggest then that we do not cast Legolas, Roac or Bain. But Stonehelm...? I hope we can accept not casting him.

Did he come up in conversation about casting him?
Not to my knowledge. I think we will have to consider him one of those that the execs may or may not (presumably not) will want to cast when they’ve read the scripts.

I don't think Thorin Stonehelm was mentioned at all in the discussion of the frame. I introduced him in Episode 4. Dain thanks him for a report, then Thorin leaves and Dain greets Balin and Bilbo. He appears again at the end of Episode 8 when Dain offers him to Dis as the first apprentice in her new workshop. He has only had one spoken line so far. I don't think it's necessary to cast him.

Well the casting call here is just a list of the characters that we want to cast. The nomination process will begin soon, I hope. We’re just waiting for an admin to open a sub-forum.
Would it be too much to ask to open up a nomination sub-forum?

Would it be too much to ask to open up a nomination sub-forum?
I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking. I have sent a message to admin who have the power to open a sub-forum. We’re waiting for that to happen. It hasn’t happened, which can only mean that the message hasn’t come through yet. Nobody is ignoring what has to be done.

Back