Season 5: Creative Contributions from Listeners

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
We have reached the part of the season where it's time for listener contributions! I thought I'd start a thread so anyone can post questions or content, and so there is one place to look for schedule updates concerning this portion of Silm Film.

So, first deadline: Casting Nominations end on MAY 31st! Make sure you get your nominees posted by the end of the month. Ideally, we'd like to have at least three nominees for each role (more is fine).
Instructions for nominating actors may be found here: https://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/nomination-instructions.4445/

The next deadline will be for the sets/props/locations portion. So far, that subforum is rather lightly populated, so hopefully we can do something about that in the next month or so.

Stay tuned for further announcements!

The Deadline for Casting nominations is fast approaching! We will need more nominees for the following characters by Monday May 31st.

Humans:
Emeldir - mother of Beren, wife of Barahir, she leads the refugees away from Dorthonion during the Dagor Bragollach. We are looking for an actress with a Mediterranean background, and mid-30's to mid-40's in age. Scary. Tough-looking. Formidable. Not necessarily unattractive. Tall. Commanding presence.

Andreth - wise woman of the house of Bëor; leader, failed romance with Aegnor. We need two actresses. One will be in her late 20's, to play the idealistic, passionate leader. And the other will be in her 60's, to portray her as bitter over how her life has turned out. Both actresses should bear some resemblance to one another, and be Mediterranean in looks. Kind of small. Big personality. Intelligent. Calm. Charismatic. Attractive. Animated face. Please nominate two actresses together as a pair for this role, so that we can see how the older Andreth and younger Andreth will look with one another.

Bereg - spokesman at the council for what will become the House of Hador. He is not impressed by the Elves he's met, and votes to move back East with his people. Late 40s. Could be blond. Farmer/herder. Not a man of action. Could be older than Hador and Amlach. Not cowardly. Wise. Common-sense. The House of Hador tends to have a northern European look.

Haldad – He emerges as a leader of the independent Haladin farmers when he suggests they construct a stockade. We see him when his twins are 16 years old, and then later when they are 30. The actor should be late 40s-50s. Not as imposing as his daughter. No taller than Haleth. The Haladin are South Asian in looks.

Elves:
Generally, we recommend that actors nominated to play elves be between 25-40 years in age.

Pengolodh – Bookish. Not physically imposing. Slighter or shorter. In our version, he is the son of Penlod, one of the Lords of Gondolin. He becomes an historian.

Elrhûn – Son of Annael. His father was taken captive to Angband, and then returns this season. Elrhûn will welcome him back at first, but that becomes more complicated when Annael is revealed as an unwitting spy in Season 6. Elrhûn will serve Fingon until the Nirnaeth, where he will likely die at his side. The Sinda elf will be a character for Seasons 4-7 of our show. Hard-faced. Stoic. Stern. Grim.

There is no limit to how many actors may be nominated for a particular role, so please considering adding a nominee to any of our Season 5 characters until the deadline passes. This is the opportunity to nominate actors for Maeglin, Bëor, and Hador!

Last edited:
Voting for Casting is now open! Cast your vote for the actors to play the characters of Season 5 by June 27th.

We will hold podcast Session 5-33 to discuss casting on Thursday July 1st at 3 PM EDT - note the special time!

Last edited:
Good showing on the casting - I think some of the choices surprised them, but no vetoes, so very solid work there. I was sorry not to be able to attend live, but no worries; I can add comments after the fact ;)

I know that one concern was a 5'3" Haleth. As Nick pointed out, her people can be a short people. If we are planning to mine Bollywood for actors and actresses to fill out the Haladin, I think we will find plenty of men and women in the 5' - 5'5" range. So I am not worried about Haleth being too short, though she is shorter than her father.

Also, there was a concern that Emeldir's actress (Emily Swallow) is not perfect for the Mediterranean House of Bëor - which is valid. However, Emeldir is the granddaughter of Adanel, who was deliberately chosen to look a bit different from Bëor. So, I think this is fine. After all, we wouldn't have wanted Barahir and Emeldir to look like brother and sister by being too similar in looks, either. And Beren canonically has light brown hair, so he can get that from his mother's side.

So - well done, Haakon! Thanks for all your work on organizing the casting process. And of course thanks to everyone who nominated and voted; your input makes this process richer.

Sessions 5-34 (July 8th) and 5-35 (July 29th) are dedicated to discussing Episode 10 of Season 5. We will return to discussing listener creative contributions in Session 5-36 on Thursday August 12th, when we will be discussing....

SETS / PROPS / LOCATIONS

This means that over the next month would be the ideal time to post photos in the appropriate forum, sharing your thoughts on what you think the locations in Season 5 will look like, based on the podcast discussions to this point. Tuesday August 10th is the deadline for sharing any images.

Quick reminder that there are three days left to post images in the Sets/Props/Locations forum for Season 5, in preparation for this Thursday's podcast session!

Back