Season 6 newcomers: a list

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
I took a quick look at the scripts (as far as the process has been taken) to get a sense of what we're looking at casting-wise. I'd like to dedicate a thread in this subforum to listing the characters of the season that haven't already been cast. I'm talking big and small roles, but please: if you post a comment adding a character, say someting about the size of the character.

In episode one, we seem to have a Maia of Námo. They just appear in one scene, so I don't intend to include them in casting talks unless someone specifically says that's important.

Vanwa (an elven spirit). Not sure casting is needed.

Baragund

Belegund

Beren

Gorlim

Inglor, Edrahil

Zirak

Old Thrall (has one scene in e1, no casting)

Newcomer (has one scene in e1, no casting)

Gil-galad

Finduilas

Guard (Three scenes in e1, but I think we'll avoid casting unless someone really loves this character)

Scene 13 Kinslayer (has one scene in e1, no casting)

Farastar Elf, a young captain

Estel (in the FRAME)

Gilraen (in the FRAME) Listing her here in case we want a recast (if not, we use Alicia Vikander with ageing effects)

Troll
(no casting)

Gorgol the Butcher

Refugee Elf
(assuming no casting needed)

Scout (assuming no casting needed)

Rían

Eilinel

Crows
(listed in script, I assume no casting needed)

Gwindor

Wolf/Dog Characters who are present but do not speak:
(Huan) (Nidhôl) (we have a Huan voice thread. I'm assuming Nidhôl doesn't need casting?)

If we're casting Rían, would Morwen be under consideration? And would both need recasting as adults if they're children at this point?

If we're casting Rían, would Morwen be under consideration? And would both need recasting as adults if they're children at this point?
I don’t know. That’s a question for the script team. All the scripts aren’t written.

Generally speaking, if a character appears in only one episode, that character will be cast by the director of that episode, not by the casting director. So, we do not have to cast characters who are only fulfilling a minor role in our overall casting process. And correct, the crows and the dog do not need casting - the crows have one line, so they need a voice, but it's up to your discretion if that is cast. We can use the voice of the crows again in Episode 8 when they talk to Glaurung.

Child!Rian appears in a dream sequence for one scene. Child!Rian and Child!Morwen appeared in Episode 12 of Season 5 - presumably, we would use the same child actress for this scene. But I don't see any point in casting them at this time. Let's wait to cast Rían and Morwen until they are adults and central characters.

We will need 3 dwarf characters to be cast in Season 6.
Zirak, who appears in Episode 1, will reappear in later seasons as Gamil Zirak. Let's cast him now.
The Episode 8 outline calls for two point-of-view dwarf characters who are rank-and-file dwarves from Belegost. They are at this time involved in the Siege of Keep Helevorn, but will also be useful characters for Season 7 in the lead-up to the Nirnaeth. We intend for them to be recurring characters (like Norn). Haerangil has suggested some possible names, but we haven't named them yet.

Thank you for the clarification, @MithLuin.

Oh, and there's a thread for Finduilas in the Season 5 sub-forum. Would it be prudent for someone to move it to either General or Season 6?

Okay, reviewing that list, I come up with:

Characters We Should Definitely Cast

Beren
Baragund
Belegund
Gorlim
Eilinel
Gorgol the Butcher
Two Dwarves of Belegost
Voice of Huan

Characters We Can Cast If We Want To
Zirak
Edrahil
Inglor
Gwindor
Finduilas
Gil-Galad
Vanwa (Deadwë)
Farastar (Fëanorian)
Voice of crows

Last edited:
Okay, reviewing that list, I come up with:

Characters We Should Definitely Cast

Beren
Baragund
Belegund
Gorlim
Eilinel
Gorgol the Butcher
Two Dwarves of Belegost

Characters We Can Cast If We Want To
Zirak
Edrahil
Inglor
Gwindor
Finduilas
Gil-Galad
Vanwa (Deadwë)
Farastar (Fëanorian)
Voice of crows
Please remind me of the roles of the Dwarves of Belegost and Farastar.

Back