Seeds

Presumably, Celebrimbor would go to Círdan after the fall of Nargothrond, not Thingol. But obviously Tolkien never said, so we'll have to figure that out when we get there.
We should write something about Celebrimbor escaping the Battle of Tumhalad and making his way to Cirdan, since all those who were captured in the Fall of Nargothrond were massacred in Brethil.

I would like glorfindel to be the son of irime or findis..., findis would be my first choice because both share the fin- element in their names.

My question is how would Celebrimbor get to Cirdan during the Fell Winter?

It would be plausible, or possible for Celebrimbor to be a participant in the Nirnaeth along with Gwindor, but instead of getting captured he's among those forces of Fingon who end up in Gondolin. And Turgon doesn't notice he has invited this Feanorian in until well after the battle, when the forces of Gondolin are taking stock of the survivors who joined them. That would mean that Celebrimbor doesn't get to build the ill-advised bridge over the Narog, or reforge Anglachel/Gurthang.

I doubt it's as bad. Voronwe didn't find it life-threatening, although the refugees from Nargothrond did find it life-threatening (maybe only the Sindarin ones??). But in a situation like that, people would still take the shortest route they can to safety, and not split off to go alone. I have a lot of trouble believing Celebrimbor would choose to flee all alone, over a hundred or more extra miles, surrounded by enemies, without even trying to get into Doriath. I could believe, though, that he would arrive in Doriath, get a very poor welcome, and ask to stay only over the winter so he can take a boat to Balar in the next summer when conditions are sane and the river is ice-free. Then he (and whatever Feanorians come with him) would be in Doriath only very briefly.

Is the Fell Winter worse than crossing the Helcaraxe?
Celebrimbor didn’t cross the Helcaraxe, he was amongst Feanor’s host.

I have an idea: why not have Celebrimbor follow Turin from the Fall of Nargothrond, trying to persuade him to turn back, meet up with Tuor and Voronwe, and all three go to Gondolin. The only times Gondolin is found on foot (not by Eagle) is when Tuor and Voronwe travel to Gondolin and the Fall of Gondolin, and it’s mentioned in Unfinished Tales that Celebrimbor spent time in Gondolin after the Fall of Nargothrond.

I don’t think that’ll work, sorry. It’s too much of a departure from what happens in the post-LotR story of Tuor. In that story, Tuor is only allowed in because Ulmo makes it obvious to everyone that he personally sent Tuor to Gondolin. Celebrimbor would not have any way to receive such welcome and consideration, and probably would be killed by the guards of the Gates.

Last edited:
In a way i like the idea that some non-Turgon alligned noldor end up in Gondolin after the Nirnaeth... most of them would have been Fingonians
But a not wanted young Feanorian COULD be an interesting twist, maybe Enerdhil speaks for the young man who probably wasn't personally involved in the kinslaying? Just thinking...

You’re eager for Celebrimbor to meet Enerdhil sooner. I’m eager for him to meet Turin and start his reputation as an artisan of questionable masterpieces with Gurthang and the bridge. ;)

We could have enough of Fingon’s guys survive to make up one of the hosts of Gondolin? Is that too many survivors? Then one of the lords could be a character from Mithrim who goes to Gondolin.

No, just an idea thrown in...

I'm in no way pushing anything.

But yes, i think fingon could need a lietenant or two and one of them could turn up as one of the lords of Gondolin later, though with the probable exception of Rog i dont havevanyone in mind right now.

I would like glorfindel to be the son of irime or findis..., findis would be my first choice because both share the fin- element in their names.
I have always supported him being a descendant of Findis or Irime, but I would prefer for him to be a grandson with a Vanyar mother, so he would be the same generation as Idril and his mother could be the sister of Elenwe.

Glorfindel's story is going to involve him having a special relationship with Idril's descendants. It would be nice if he was related to her through both his father and mothers side. He needs some Vanyar blood to help explain the blonde hair too.

Back