Session 1.15

Oh. I completely forgot about Ulmo in my outline. He, Ossë and Uinen could be responsible for at least some part of the breaking of the land. Hopefully the everyone else remembered them...

Last edited:
I'm probably going to get this wrong/forget something, but here is my recollection of Friday's outline/plan:
    • Yavanna confronts the twisted beast, meets Oromë, and they discuss the state of Middle Earth, the Children, etc.
    • Aulë confesses the dwarf incident to Yavanna
    • Yavanna speaks to Manwë about Eagles and Ents. [Dwarves are not mentioned.] He pans the idea and thinks it weird.
    • 1st Council of the Valar: Some are openly calling for forcing Melkor to stop; Manwë sends Eonwë to summon Melkor to join them as a last attempt for a peaceful resolution.
    • Manwë and Varda ascend Taniquetal and view the state of Middle Earth. Varda and Manwë have a private conversation. It is Varda's advice that sparks the Vision. Manwë now is on board with Eagles/Ents as well as the inevitable coming violent conflict.
    • Varda kindles the new Stars to 'Varda star motif' music [Elves awaken off screen]
    • Eonwë arrives in Utumno and delivers Manwë's message. This goes about as well as expected. Eonwë then becomes the precursor of literally everything for the rest of the show. Mairon forges a set of manacles for him. He is chained in a high place. He defies Melkor. He fights to escape, and is cast down from the precipice by Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs. His spirit flees.

Break between episodes occurs here.

• Mairon reports the location of the elves to Melkor. His turncoat-status is unknown to the Valar.
    • Eonwë's spirit returns to Valinor. He goes to Lorien for healing. When re-embodied, Mandos states that he will be the mightiest in arms in all of Arda.
    • 2nd Council of the Valar (brief). Manwë declares they will be going to war, and the Valar unanimously agree. Manwë weeps. Mairon slips out at the end.
    • Oromë returns with knowledge of the Elves.
    • Battle is fairly elemental with little need of foot-soldiers. Much destruction results.
    • Oromë and the Ents guard the area where the Elves are. Melkor tasks Mairon with unleashing monsters against the Children to destroy them if the war goes badly.
    • Utumno destroyed, Tulkas wrestles Melkor, Melkor in chains
    • 3rd Council of the Valar - Judgment of Melkor (brief)
    • Mairon and balrogs retreat to Angband. Gothmog accuses Mairon of abandoning Melkor and names him Sauron.

Last edited:
So I finally got around to listening to this episode, and there's a lot of stuff going on in it, particularly some threads that we will probably need to be cutting back and for between; like, Eonwe's torture, Manwe's powwow with Iluvatar, Varda's star making, Melkor's first sight of the constellations, and Eonwe's eventual return Valinor all seem to need to be going on at roughly the same time, and I think there's a good opportunity to do some cool scoring and voiceover work as we cut around all of these and maybe a few other things while Manwe's having his heart to heart with Iluvatar to really hit all the themes we've dealt with throughout the season that culminate in that final choice to go to war with Melkor.

Now when Professor Olsen first said that Manwe should have a vision and discussion with Iluvatar, my gut reacted pretty negatively. "Aren't we wrecking Manwe's, and by extension the Valar's, agency by having literal capital-G God give the marching orders, here? Shouldn't Manwe make this choice, as King?"

And I realized today after a lot of thinking that I wasn't considering all the angles. Instead of a sort of Jehova-to-Noah, build-me-an-ark moment, maybe what we have here is a teachable moment for Manwe. Maybe instead of giving a directive or order, Iluvatar should be more of a teacher, and help him understand why war is the right thing to do here.

So I was hoping we could have some chats here about what that conversation might actually look like themes to explore, and Iluvatar's perspective. And one of the angles I realized is kind of interesting is that we've created sort of a tantalizing parallel by having our Valar be of different minds about the whole thing. We've had Manwe resist multiple suggestions to enter into conflict with Melkor because he sees it as a failing, an abandonment of the harmony that was supposed to be in the Music as Iluvatar had intended before Melkor's rebellion. But what this has done, if you think about it metaphorically, is put Manwe in a position not terribly dissimilar from Melkor's in the Ainulindale. Melkor's whole deal was that he had his own theme he wanted to play, and he was gonna play it no matter what was going on around him, and everybody near him could either align their theme with his or just be overpowered. When you do harmony, you have to listen to everyone around you, or your notes are never going to match: you can't hit the chords properly when you sing unless you listen carefully to the exact notes other people are hitting and adjust as you go.

Manwe is being pulled in the direction of war by a lot of the other Valar, but his stubborn resistance is starting to look a little familiar. His heart is in the right place, but he's at risk of pulling a Melkor because he's refusing to listen to those around him and, though not out of any sense of personal pride, is in danger of creating exactly the sort of dischord among the Valar that he's trying so hard to mend by trying to avoid war with Melkor. I think it would be extremely poetic (and the narrative seems to support this theme) to have Manwe, as a result of his own nature, come to a very Melkor-ian place and then choose a different path; the parallel should be pretty obvious, maybe explicit, and it would give us a really great opportunity to not only see more clearly just how Melkor went bad through comparisons I Manwe, but also illustrate how he and Manwe are different, not the least reason being that Manwe asks for help in his time of crisis.

Does that sound like a good way for Iluvatar to characterize the issue here? I want Manwe to have an epiphany, not have him be ordered to bring Melkor to justice. I want him to gain wisdom and choose the correct course of action freely as a result of speaking with his father, to exercise his gift of free will rather than be given permission to make war, and not have somebody say "remember the music" as if it's all pre-ordained and written in stone.

Edit: like how great would it be if Manwe goes "it's all falling apart, they're all turning into Melkor" and then Iluvatar goes "don't you see by not listening to them that you're the one most in danger of becoming Melkor?"

Yes Ouzaru I like this line of thought. Actually Manwë runs the risk of deviating from the Music if he takes his pacifism too far, and he should realise this and humbly accept that his will isn't above Iluvatar's plan.

I mean, I don't wanna emphasize the "plan" over much, that gets into killing the agency of the characters. The whole trigger for that line of thought was "how do I not take this moment away from Manwe, have can I put the choice to go to war firmly in their hands and still have it be the right thing to do?" I don't want anyone's primary motivation to ever be "God told me to/said it was okay so, shrug". As much as there was space for the Ainur to embellish the music as they saw fit, I feel like the implication should be they (and all the other sentient creatures of Arda) still have free will, otherwise there are zero stakes in anything anyone does.

Yes they have free will. I'm just saying that deviation from the group is the same as deviation from the harmony of the music.

I don't think we want to have Eru telling Manwë what to do. The epiphany should be a result of Manwë's own wisdom as much as possible. In the communion, Eru can lay out the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle, but Manwë puts the pieces together all by himself.

Yes I never saw the vision as being a "God told me " moment. I always saw it as a journey of discovery for Manwe, a time where he is meditating and immerses himself in the music again. The valar at this stage have been in Arda for many thousands of years and in that amount of time it is easy to forget the details of The Music. I don't think I ever envisaged Iluvatar talking directly to Manwe during the vision but more like replaying Iluvatar's words (Manwe remembering) from episode 1 about all themes being derived from him and nothing being played without being part of his plan. I think the scene should feature the Music heavily, in particular the discord and images from the season that viewers will recognize as well as scenes from the War to Begin all Wars to show that the music is timeless. After the vision I don't want to hear the words from Manwe "Iluvatar told me". I think as you have said that takes away Manwe's free will and he comes across as some kind of unthinking zealot. The scene to me is shows Manwe quiet and in communion (what he sees and hears may not be quiet). This may be a recurring theme for Manwe each time he needs to make a large decision. He has to realign himself to The Music again and again whereas Varda is most likely humming the music all the time so she doesn't need a refresher.

Yes I never saw the vision as being a "God told me " moment. I always saw it as a journey of discovery for Manwe, a time where he is meditating and immerses himself in the music again. The valar at this stage have been in Arda for many thousands of years and in that amount of time it is easy to forget the details of The Music. I don't think I ever envisaged Iluvatar talking directly to Manwe during the vision but more like replaying Iluvatar's words (Manwe remembering) from episode 1 about all themes being derived from him and nothing being played without being part of his plan. I think the scene should feature the Music heavily, in particular the discord and images from the season that viewers will recognize as well as scenes from the War to Begin all Wars to show that the music is timeless. After the vision I don't want to hear the words from Manwe "Iluvatar told me". I think as you have said that takes away Manwe's free will and he comes across as some kind of unthinking zealot. The scene to me is shows Manwe quiet and in communion (what he sees and hears may not be quiet). This may be a recurring theme for Manwe each time he needs to make a large decision. He has to realign himself to The Music again and again whereas Varda is most likely humming the music all the time so she doesn't need a refresher.

I don't know, I think we could have an actual conversation here. I like the idea of not sticking with Manwe, that we could see a lot of what's happening around Arda at this moment, maybe Eonwe suffering in Utumno and some shots of Orome returning from Cuivienen. Certainly I think we need some internal monologue get from Manwe, if not a conversation. I guess it comes down to how much Iluvatar we want in the season; for consistency's sake, and the fact that we basically get no more lines for Iluvatar for the rest of the series, I feel like here at the turning point of Season 1 we could get something resembling the interaction with Aule, where there's actual back and forth dialogue. We could do it without any lines from Iluvatar, though.

Last edited:
Back