Session 1.8

I see the fall of the balrogs in two parts, and please follow my logic on this.
I really like the idea of the world in a gloaming state with light embodied in the air and in the Powers so there is a perpetual glow no matter where you go. It is not until the lamps are lit that the concept of shadows comes into being when there are two distinct light sources and with the removal of the glow or some of the glow from the atmosphere.
The balrogs are creatures of both flame and shadow. Can you see where I am going?
We have now introduced the idea that the creation of the lamps is flawed right from the beginning by concentrating light and with the motivations of the proto-balrogs during the construction of the lamps being a bit suspicious, when the lamps are lit for the first time, this is when the balrogs start to show their fall. I think it would be cool to show the first shadows cast on the construction team including the proto-balrogs and in either in their showed side or in their shadows we can see a hint of the fallen balrog shape (as the last scene in Episode 5 as a foreshadowing of their destruction and of the balrog's fall accompanied by an uneasy dis-chord). Then when the lamps fall they shed the fair form (and their wings) and take on the flame as part of their fully revealed nature.

I see your point Phillip. My view though is that the fall of the Balrogs has more to do with Melkor's fall than with the flawed idea of building the Lamps. If we connect the fall of the Balrogs with that idea, we somehow make the Valar responsible for their fall. Not much but enough to make it a bit problematic I think. Also, I feel it would make the moral aspect of their fall somewhat unclear. I would like the focus of the process to be how they accept to have Melkor stirring up hate in them, and on how they let this hate lead to the aggression of destroying the Lamps. This is represented visually and physically by their fair beings of intense light burning, resulting in the ruining of their wings (and looks, generally) and consuming their power partially - the bright fire becomes just a red hot one, mingled with shadows.

In addition, I feel that making Melkor's connection to the destruction of the lamps tenuous is a major departure from the themes portrayed. The Valarkaur do not seem to be possessed of great initiative at any time, but fanatical in their devotion to Melkor. I would like to see a brief exchange after Melkor's monologue concerning how unfair the Valar are being. I would like to see Melkor make eye contact with proto-Gothmog and meaningfully say, "I wish I had never made those cursed lamps..." A brief nod from Gothmog, and then he stages the rest.

This would give Melkor a level of plausible deniability, which Arien can confirm, but make it clear to the audience that Melkor wanted the lamps destroyed.

Here is the script outline discussion of the Fall of the Lamps:

Comments welcome!

Last edited:
Back