Session 2.02

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
The next session 2.02 is due to air on Friday the 3rd of June. Input has been requested for (not that you have not started already) an episode by episode sketch for Season 2. Feel free to go into detail in any areas, and any ways that the frame (Arwen and Celeborn in Lothlorien) can tie in to the main story.
Season 2 will consist of 13 episodes starting at the waking of the elves and going to the darkening of Valinor.
Reading for the whole season is half of Ch 3, Ch 4-8 and parts of Ch 10 of the Silmarillion.

To start things off....

Season 2: Frame is Arwen and Celeborn in Lothlorien dealing with the loss of Celebrían
  1. Awakening of the Elves - We see the end of the last season from the elves point of view, including some of them being snatched in the darkness (the Hunter), the battle across the lake, and then eventually meeting Oromë [Frame: Mention of the children's tale of Imin, Tata, Enel and their spouses being the first elves to awaken at Cuivienen]
  2. Invitation - The Valar decide to bring the elves to Valinor (despite Mandos' ominous rumblings), and when the invitation is extended, Ingwë/Finwë/Elwë visit Valinor as ambassadors to check it out first. They are suitably impressed with the Light of the Two Trees. Melkor's fate is discussed. [Frame: Reveal that Celebrían, Arwen's mother and Celeborn's daughter, has gone to Valinor.]
  3. The Great Migration - the Avari remain in Cuivienen with many of the unbegotten, and the others begin travelling through Middle Earth, Vanyar in the lead. Tom Bombadil cameo; meeting ents. The Nandor settle down before the Misty Mountains with Lenwë and his son Denethor (future site of Lothlorien?). The beginning of the Super Secret Necromantic Orc project - just hinted at, but we see Sauron and Gothmog. [Frame: Perfect time for an excursion outside of Lothlorien, perhaps in the direction of Fangorn.]
  4. Crossing the Sea - Elwë meets Melian while returning from a visit to Finwë; Vanyar and Noldor arrive in Valinor (via island) and meet the other Valar; Calacirya/Tírion upon Túna; Teleri left behind (Ossë again); introduce Círdan and Olwë as leaders in Elwë's absence. [Frame: Discussion of being separated from those we love, by distance or death, and the importance of elven memory.]
  5. Latecomers - Finwë misses Elwë; Split of Sindar/Teleri; Teleri and their Swanships; Alqualondë and the Vanyar leave Tírion; [Frame: The Swanships of Lothlorien]
  6. Noontide of Valinor - birth of Fëanor, death of Míriel [Frame: It should not be difficult to make parallels to Arwen's loss of her mother.]
  7. Next generation - Thingol and Melian reunite with the Sindar (birth of Lúthien?); Marriage of Finwë and Indis; birth of Fingolfin and Finarfin (and 2 daughters); Courtship of Fëanor and Nerdanel; orcs appear in Middle Earth; Sindar accidentally hunt petty dwarves; [Frame: An elf is born in Lothlorien? Perhaps a naming-ceremony or wedding? And commentary on how rare this is these days, versus how common it was in the springtime of Valinor.]
  8. Trial -Melkor is released from prison; Noldor craftsmen under Aulë. Meanwhile, in Middle Earth, the dwarves help build Menegroth; [Frame: Time to deal with the Necromancer of Dol Guldor...possibly in real time (thus overlapping the last season)]
  9. In the Light of the Trees - Creation of the palantíri and later Silmarils; Galadriel refuses a lock of hair to Fëanor; Celegorm hunts with Oromë; something something Teleri (Finarfin's wife Eärwen?) [In the Frame, Arwen can complain that she doesn't know what the Light of the Trees was like, because she has heard it compared to everything from the Morning Star to Galadriel's hair. She's basically told, 'yes', but no one gives away the destruction of the Trees to the audience. There's a song...]
  10. Discord - the feud between Fëanor and his half-brothers Fingolfin and Finarfin; friendship of Maedhros and Fingon the Valiant; Melkor in Valinor, befriending the Noldor and being creepy (stands over Míriel's body in Lorien); In Middle Earth, Decision of Denethor to split with his father Lenwë and bring the Green Elves over the mountains into Beleriand (Oromë?) [Frame: Elf-dwarf relations in the aftermath of Erebor?]
  11. Banishment - Fëanor threatens Fingolfin with a sword; Fëanor banished to Formenos with his sons - Finwë and many of the Noldor go with him (does Nerdanel?); Melkor's deeds come to light and he flees Valinor; Fëanor shuts a door in Melkor's face [Frame: Justice in Lothlorien? A stranger wanders into the Golden Woods and has to answer for himself?]
  12. Final set-up - Fëanor 'invited' to the feast by Manwë, family politics...Aredhel's friendship with Celegorm and Curufin? Fëanor teaches his sons to wield swords. We need to see that the Noldor have a problem even with Melkor's lies exposed. [Now would be a good time for Celeborn to be wise and insightful, explaining the good and evil that came of Finwë's remarriage.]
  13. Darkening of Valinor - Feast (Finrod's Vanyar girlfriend Amarië introduced); Fëanor comes alone without any jewels or family; Melkor meets with Ungoliant, and together they enter Valinor and destroy the Trees, casting Valinor into darkness; they attack Formenos, and the sons of Fëanor flee; Finwë stands up to Melkor and is killed; the Silmarils are stolen; Melkor and Ungoliant flee north, pursued by Tulkas; theives' quarrel; Balrogs rescue Melkor (Sauron conspicuously absent) [Frame: We see that Arwen has come to some kind of peace about her mother's decision, but chooses Middle Earth for herself as her own home. She perhaps expresses the hope that she will see her mother again some day.]

I'll leave the question of what to do with the frame for a later post. Hopefully Haakon will post his draft outline as well; I didn't look it over before posting this, but I remember he had a lot of good stuff in it. One thing my outline is missing is much mention of the Valar - they do still have to be fairly major characters this season.

EDITS - still working on this....
Frame - just some starter ideas to connect episodes to frame. I won't develop them, really, until we nail down the episodes and some of the overarching themes for the season.

Deleted: Dwarf Chapter - Let's see what the dwarves are up to in their halls!; meet Eol the Dark Elf? Maybe? Not sure this needs an entire episode - perhaps add to Episode 6, *before* the dwarves meet the Sindar?

Last edited:
Hi, yes I've been working on a draft. Here's what Ive come up with so far. It's getting more and more sketchy as the season progresses... I've put the different elven groups in bold just to make sure I get all of the different divisions.
  1. The Awakening. (More frame than in other episodes) Frame: Arwen’s arrival in Lothlorien. Establishing family relationships (Elrond, Celeborn, Celebrian, Galadriel) and Arwen’s complex feelings for Celebrian. Arwen questions Celebrian’s decision and thinks elves should have stayed in Middle-earth in the first place. Celeborn thinks it is a valid opinion but says Middle-earth was a dangerous place. The story of the elf-fathers (War of the Jewels) told in a semi-realistic fashion (voice over, sketchy scenes or like the story of the three brothers in that Harry Potter movie); “Imin” is perhaps identified as Ingwë*, but the others are forgotten. Main: Elves and Ents. The fear of the Hunter (Connected to death of Imin?). The War to begin all wars from the elven perspective. The cataclysmic effects on the geography. Oromë finds the Children and names them eldar. Trial and imprisonment of Melkor ("Three ages" – important for later on).
  2. The decision. The Valar decide to summon the elves to Valinor. Ulmo objects. Mandos: 'So it is doomed'. (Frame: comment on the many sorrows that follow.) Angband: The power struggle between Sauron and Gothmog. Cuiviénen: More on elves and Ents. (Frame:Talk of visiting Fangorn) Oromë arrives, inviting the eldar to Valinor. Some suspicion among the elves is expressed, even fear. The ambassadors volunteer to go (the one who might be elf-father Ingwë and two slightly younger elves from the second and third kindred).
  3. The ambassadors. The ambassadors in Valinor. (Elwë doesn't meet Melian since she is in Middle-earth) They return and convince the elves to come to Valinor, and become the leaders of the eldar. The Avari remain at Cuiviénen. Introducing some prominent elves. Among the Avari: Elf-fathers and –mothers of the second and third kindred (Tatyar and Nelyar). Sauron’s necromancy. Beginning of the Great Journey.
  4. The Great Journey. While Oromë is away on other business, the Teleri halt at the sight of the Misty Mountains. Lenwë. The Nandor meet the Entwives. (Frame: Visit to Fangorn?) Some of the Teleri have pressed on, but Elwë disappears. Elwë and Melian.
  5. The king is lost. Oromë finds Lenwë’s people, but many years have passed and they want to stay where they are. In Beleriand, Nowë (Círdan), Beleg, Mablung, Daeron and others are searching for Elwë. We see some of Beleriand. (Elwë and Melian still spellbound) Ulmo speaks to the eldar. Vanyar and Noldor leave for Valinor.
  6. The Lonely Island. Teleri left behind. Olwë, Ossë and Uinen ; more on Círdan, who now becomes the shipwright. In Valinor: The Vanyar are close to Manwë and Varda. Finwë begs Ulmo to bring the Teleri, which he does (and they become the Falmari). The sadness of Ossë. Eldamar and Tol Eressëa. The Eglath (the Forsaken, later called the Sindar) remain in Middle-earth.
  7. Fëanor. Aulë and the Noldor smiths. Mahtan. The birth of Fëanor, death of Míriel. (Frame: reference to Celebrian in Lorien) In middle-earth: Elwë and Melian spell broken. They join (or found by) the Teleri. In Valinor: Alqualondë and the swan ships.
  8. The second marriage. Marriage of Finwë and Indis. Birth of Findis, Fingolfin and Finarfin. Fëanor and Nerdanel. Noldor create jewels and other beautiful things (like the Palantíri). The Valar discuss the the fact that the end of Melkor’s three ages of imprisonment is near. Middle-earth: King Greymantle in Neldoreth. The Falathrim and Círdan. Birth of Lúthien.
  9. End of the imprisonment. The Dwarves arrive. Elves accidentally hunt petty dwarves. (Frame: Galadriel on the whole Dol Guldur, White Council and Erebor business) Belegost and Nogrod. Beginning of works on the Dwarf road and Menegroth. Denethor and the Laiquendi come to Ossiriand. They bring tidings of fell beasts east of the mountains. Sauron’s necromancy. The first orcs. (Death of Elmo here?) The making of weapons for Thingol. Melkor brought before the thrones of Valar. He abases himself and sues for pardon, aided by Nienna. Manwë grants him pardon.
  10. The Silmarils. Valinor: Melkor is released from prison. He begins to teach the Noldor. Grandchildren of the three kings. (Fëanor asks for Galadriel's hair? (Frame: maybe this is told by Galadriel in the frame, as a memory, and not shown in main?)) Young Celebrimbor is seen watching his grandfather in the smithy. Celegorm, Oromë and Huan. Birth of Celeborn, grandson of Elwë’s brother Elmo, in the now finished Menegroth (that was fast!). Creation of the Silmarils.
  11. Unrest. Melkor's poisonous words. Unrest among the Noldor. Whispers of Fingolfin and sons plotting. The making of weapons. Finwë’s council. Manwë is grieved.
  12. Exile I. Melkor's deeds come to light and he flees Valinor. Banishment of Fëanor; Shutting the door in Melkor's face. Preparing the feast.
  13. Darkening. The feast. Meanwhile: Melkor finds Ungoliant. They sneak into Valinor. Darkening of Valinor. Murder of Finwë.
*Since Ingwë is High King of all elves and leader of the Vanyar, and all Vanyar went to Valinor, it is reasonable to assume that Ingwë was the leader of Vanyar all along, which means he is the elf-father Imin. He should be married from the start (to Iminyë?). Finwë and Miriel seem to be younger, as does Elwë (who doesn't marry until he meets Melian and therefore cannot be one of the 'Unbegotten' first generation of elves). Alternatively, Ingwë is Imin's son. In that case, Imin must die early on, since he doesn't become one of the Avari.
Edit: The legend of the elf-fathers should contain quite a lot of truth since many of the elves we know were born early on lived for a very long time afterwards and there's no reason to believe they came up with a lie about their close ancestors, or let such a lie live on year after year, century after century.
Second edit: Of course, an amount of time corresponding to five thousand of our solar years seems to have passed between the Awakening and the arrival of Oromë, so I'm not going to complain about any decisions going in another direction.
STILL EDITING.... Frame is this colour.

Last edited:
I have a suggestion for the frame: Arwen is still grieving over the loss of Celebrian, but her reaction is to reject her heritage and see her mother as "a cop out". She becomes very passionately Middle Earth, remaining resistant to Valinor.

Galadriel is a foil here, because she understands Valinor and what it means. She can tell the story of how the elves awoke as a morality tale to Arwen, to explain what happened to bring them to Valinor. This could prompt an on-going debate the maintains the frame through season: Valinor vs. Middle Earth, which nicely parrallels the main story.

Last edited:
I think that we should definitely save the death of Denethor (of the Green Elves) for Season 3. We want to see the *actual* 'release the orcs!' into Beleriand after Morgoth's return to Middle Earth. At first, it should seem that the Noldor have come back to Middle Earth to 'save' the other elves from Morgoth. And that works better if we show Denethor's death in the appropriate time. In season 2, we should have small bands of orcs being mysterious and causing problems, but...not an army, yet. There is no need for the Girdle of Melian...yet. If we need someone to die, I suggest Thingol's unfortunately named younger brother Elmo (Celeborn's grandfather). Thus, we can have Celeborn, our narrator, always refer to him as 'grandfather,' and within the story he can always be referred to by his relationship 'father,' 'brother', etc. We can also invent any character we want and then kill them off here. Seems such a waste, when there are so many canonical deaths, but that's the point - elves who die this early didn't barely make it into the histories.

I agree that we do have to think about how to wrap up the Middle Earth storyline. I proposed having Denethor and the Green Elves enter Beleriand as the last 'new' thing that happens, with the possibility of a dwarf-centric storyline (if we want that in season 2). Haakon has suggested the birth of Celeborn and a visit of Olorin to Melian as some of the final wrap-ups for the Middle Earth segment. Other ideas?

I think that it would be better to end the Middle Earth story on a positive note, because if this is about the tension between Valinor and Middle Earth for Arwen, then Middle Earth should come out looking pretty good. We should see a hopeful future (with some ominous background, of course). So, I don't mind having a death in the second-to-the-last Middle Earth episode, but the final view of Middle Earth (in Season 2) should be something uplifting, celebrating what is good in the lives of the Sindar or the dwarves.

The final three episodes of the season should have no Middle Earth content at all. We are building to an important climax in Valinor, and the focus needs to be there. For the rest of the season, we can intersperse the stories, rather than having a 'Valinor' episode followed by a 'Middle Earth' episode. We need to be in both places from Episodes 4/5-10 (so, half the season).

Agree/disagree?

Last edited:
Yes I agree, and I'll edit my draft and push the Middle-earth material in episode 11 to episode 10. Let's go where the drama is.
(If it is possible, there has to be room for everything..)

I suggested that Elmo dies when the first orcs show up. I mean the first few orcs. If Elmo and his son Galadhon is attacked by a couple of orcs, who manage to kill Elmo because they take the elves by surprise, but then are killed, we get: 1) a scary introduction of the orcs, 2) a memorable death for Elmo while 3) someone survives to tell Thingol about it which leads to his asking the dwarves to make weapons for him.

Last edited:
I agree that we do have to think about how to wrap up the Middle Earth storyline. I proposed having Denethor and the Green Elves enter Beleriand as the last 'new' thing that happens, with the possibility of a dwarf-centric storyline (if we want that in season 2). Haakon has suggested the birth of Celeborn and a visit of Olorin to Melian as some of the final wrap-ups for the Middle Earth segment. Other ideas?

I think that it would be better to end the Middle Earth story on a positive note, because if this is about the tension between Valinor and Middle Earth for Arwen, then Middle Earth should come out looking pretty good. We should see a hopeful future (with some ominous background, of course). So, I don't mind having a death in the second-to-the-last Middle Earth episode, but the final view of Middle Earth (in Season 2) should be something uplifting, celebrating what is good in the lives of the Sindar or the dwarves.
I've decided against having Olorin visit Melian. It's too close to Melkor's release, and if Olorin gets the news of fell beasts and orcs, he might have something to say when Melkor's release is being discussed. I don't know, maybe not but I think it's best to not mess that up by bringing that information to the trial.
Anyway, now my draft has the Middle-earth storyline end with baby Celeborn being born in newly constructed Menegroth. The dwarves have made weapons for the elves and everything is looking pretty nice and solid.

I think that, as we go along with the plot/story, we will have to make decisions about how strictly chronologically to tell the story. For instance, we might decide to take a step back and give some 'history' of Men at the beginning of the Turin season, and have the story of young Huor and Hurin in Gondolin then (or even save that for the beginning of the Fall of Gondolin season). Or, we might decide to do that in 'real' time, so that the words of (adult) Huor and Hurin to Turgon at the end of the battle of Unnumbered Tears will make sense to the audience when it happens. Both decisions (chronological storytelling versus revealing backstory when relevant) can be effective, and the published Silmarillion jumps ALL OVER THE PLACE with the chronology of the story. The, oh, by the way, let me tell you about something now....is quite a common narrative device. Thus, we learn about Finrod's beloved Amarië, who went not with him into exile...at the Mereth Atherad (Feast of Reuniting), well after the entire Valinor/ Flight of the Noldor sequence. And we learn about Eärendil, the mightiest mariner of song, at the time when the Valar hide Valinor from the departing Noldor (so about 500 years before he is born). And we return to see what Thingol has been up to in Doriath many many years after we last saw him.

We will likely want to do some of that, and change some of that. But we will need to know what the chronology *IS*, so we can make conscious choices about what to include when. Which is...difficult...because Tolkien (of course) had multiple versions of the timeline in different documents created at different times (because of course he did!) I think that this one is a very solid starting point, with the understanding that there are other possible interpretations:

http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org/reference/references/chronology-of-the-silmarillion.php

Here is the relevant bit for Season 2, to help with our Episode planning discussion (mostly from the Annals of Aman, Years of the Trees - see the page linked for comments on different versions):

1000 Varda begins to make the great constellations
1050 Elves awaken
1085 Oromë meets the Elves
1090 Valar attack Morgoth
1099 Breaking of Utumno
1100 Binding of Melkor

1101 Valar summon the Quendi to Valinor
1102 Ingwë, Finwë and Elwë brought to Valinor
1104 Ingwë, Finwë and Elwë return to Cuiviénen
1105 Elves set out on the Great Journey
1115 Nandor abandon the March
1125 Vanyar and Noldor reach Beleriand
1128 Teleri reach Beleriand
1130 Elwë meets Melian
1132 Vanyar and Noldor leave Middle-earth
1133 Vanyar and Noldor reach Valinor
1140 Tirion completed. Ingwë leaves Tirion
1150 Olwë and other Teleri leave Middle-earth
1151 Grounding of Tol Eressëa
1152 Elwë returns to the Sindar
1161 Teleri reach Valinor
1165 The last Vanyar leave Tirion
1169 Birth of Fëanor
1170 Death of Míriel
1185 Marriage of Finwë and Indis
1190 Birth of Fingolfin
1200 Birth of Lúthien
1230 Birth of Finarfin
1250 Dwarves enter Beleriand. Fëanor creates a new alphabet for the Elves.
1280 Marriage of Finarfin and Eärwen
1300 Thingol builds Menegroth. Daeron invents the Runes. Birth of Turgon and of Finrod.
1330 Orcs enter Beleriand
1350 Nandor enter Beleriand
1362 Births of Aredhel and of Galadriel
1400 Melkor released
1449 Fëanor begins work on the Silmarils
1450 Fëanor completes the Silmarils
1490 Banishment of Fëanor
1492 Melkor visits Formenos
1495 Darkening of Valinor. Death of Finwë and flight of the Noldor. First Kinslaying.
I thought this would be particularly helpful for coordinating the 'Meanwhile, in Beleriand' switching back-and-forth that we may intend to do. The italicized part is what happens at the end of Season 1, and obviously we've altered that order a bit so that while the elves are 'discovered' by Sauron and later Oromë, that is all off-screen, and will only be shown now in Episode 1 of Season 2. One Valian Year is just under 10 years of the Sun, so one can choose to treat these years as decades, if one would like. But that's not really necessary, as Tolkien seems to have given his characters enough time to grow up in 'Valian' years, the same as if they were Years of the Sun.

One possible breakdown:

Episode 1
1000 Varda begins to make the great constellations
1050 Elves awaken
1085 Oromë meets the Elves
1090 Valar attack Morgoth
1099 Breaking of Utumno
1100 Binding of Melkor
Episode 2
1101 Valar summon the Quendi to Valinor
1102 Ingwë, Finwë and Elwë brought to Valinor
1104 Ingwë, Finwë and Elwë return to Cuiviénen​
Episode 3
1105 Elves set out on the Great Journey
1115 Nandor abandon the March
1125 Vanyar and Noldor reach Beleriand
1128 Teleri reach Beleriand​
Episode 4
1130 Elwë meets Melian
1132 Vanyar and Noldor leave Middle-earth
1133 Vanyar and Noldor reach Valinor​
Episode 5
1140 Tirion completed. Ingwë leaves Tirion
1150 Olwë and other Teleri leave Middle-earth
1151 Grounding of Tol Eressëa
1161 Teleri reach Valinor
1165 The last Vanyar leave Tirion​
Episode 6
1169 Birth of Fëanor
1170 Death of Míriel​
Episode 7
1152 Elwë returns to the Sindar
1185 Marriage of Finwë and Indis
1190 Birth of Fingolfin
1200 Birth of Lúthien
1230 Birth of Finarfin​
Episode 8
1250 Dwarves enter Beleriand. Fëanor creates a new alphabet for the Elves (Tengwar).
1300 Thingol builds Menegroth. Daeron invents the Runes. Birth of Turgon and of Finrod.
1400 Melkor released
Episode 9
1362 Births of Aredhel and of Galadriel
1449 Fëanor begins work on the Silmarils
1450 Fëanor completes the Silmarils
1280 Marriage of Finarfin and Eärwen (I was intending to bring this up in the context of their children wanting to understand their Teleri heritage)
Episode 10
1330 Orcs enter Beleriand
1350 Nandor enter Beleriand
Episode 11
1490 Banishment of Fëanor
1492 Melkor visits Formenos​
Episode 12/13
1495 Darkening of Valinor. Death of Finwë and flight of the Noldor. First Kinslaying.
BOLD is for any item I put in out-of-sequence
Fëanor married Nerdanel as a young man of 49, so the story of their courtship falls (chronologically) between the births of Fingolfin and Finarfin (and thus after Finwë remarries Indis). Aredhel and Galadriel are the only two female grandchildren of Finwë we know about, and they are born in the same year. If we wanted Fëanor's youngest (the twins) to be born at the same time, we could do something with that.

Last edited:

This really helps emphasize that the migration to Valinor was in many ways a mistake, without having someone lecture. Elves in middle earth are doing ok overall, until the events from Valinor spill over into their domain.

A more tedious approach will be to take all the events of the published Silmarillion in these chapters and divvy them up between episodes.
Summary from here: http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org/reference/silmsummaries/home.php

Like so....

Episode 1: The Awakening of the Elves

It was told by Mandos that the Elves would awaken under the stars, and so Varda made new and brighter formations of stars in the sky to give light to Middle-earth and serve as warning to Melkor. Shortly after she finished her task, the Elves awakened by Cuiviénen and beheld first the light of the stars. (Of the Coming of the Elves)

Sometime after, Oromë rode into the eastern realms of Middle-earth and heard the sound of singing and came upon the Elves. He went to them and many fled, afraid, but the most noble among them took courage and—seeing the light of Aman in his face—approached him and discovered him to be benevolent. (Of the Coming of the Elves)

It is believed, however, that by Melkor’s watchfulness, he was the first of the Ainur to become aware of the Elves, and many of them he captured and took to his prisons, where they were made into the first Orcs. He also spread rumors of Oromë, telling the Elves that they should fear him, and for this reason, many fled from him and were also captured by Melkor. (Of the Coming of the Elves)

When Oromë brought news of the Elves’ arrival to the other Valar, they rejoiced and decided to make war against Melkor. The siege of Utumno was terrible, and many of the lands were damaged and reshaped, and even the Elves perceived the shaking of the earth and the light of fires to the north. At last, Melkor was wrestled to the ground by Tulkas and bound in chains and taken to judgment in Valinor, where it was decided that he would abide in the halls of Mandos for three ages. (Of the Coming of the Elves)

The Valar did not discover all of the depths of Angband and Utumno, and many foul creatures remained there or fled from the siege; nor did they find Sauron, and so evil—while lessened—remained in Middle-earth. (Of the Coming of the Elves)

Episode 2: Invitation to Valinor

The Valar then sat in council again, deciding what to do about the Elves. Many of the Valar desired the fellowship of the Elves and to keep them safe and wished to bring them to Valinor; others opposed. At last, the final decision was made to summon the Elves to Valinor, and of this decision, much grief would arise. (Of the Coming of the Elves)

The Elves, though, having seen nothing of the Valar save their aggression, were reluctant to heed the summons, and so Oromë invited three ambassadors—Ingwë, Finwë, and Elwë—to come with him to Valinor. Enamored by the light of Valinor and the splendor of those lands, the three ambassadors convinced many of the Elves to follow them to Aman. (Of the Coming of the Elves)

Nonetheless, all could not be convinced, and some remained behind or forsook the journey along the way. Those who did journey to Valinor were then sundered into three groups: the Vanyar, under the guidance of Ingwë, King of all the Eldar; the Noldor, behind Finwë their king; and the Teleri, the largest and most reluctant host, who followed Elwë. These Elves are called the Eldar or the Calaquendi (Elves of light), while those who remained behind are the Moriquendi (Elves of darkness). (Of the Coming of the Elves)

Introduce Sauron and Gothmog in Angband, with allusions to the Super Secret Necromantic Orc Project.

Episode 3: The Journey across Middle Earth

The journey of the Elves to Valinor was long and tedious, for there was no road and many of the Elves remained fearful and reluctant, and when Oromë on occasion had to leave them, they would stop until he returned to guide them. Eventually, the host reached the Anduin and the Misty Mountains—lifted to terrible heights by Melkor to hinder the riding of Oromë—and the Teleri dallied long on the shores of the Anduin and became separated from the Noldor and Vanyar, who were more eager to follow Oromë. Some of the Teleri remained at the Anduin and became the Nandor, but Elwë eventually led the majority of his people over the Misty Mountains and, from there, northward into Beleriand. (Of the Coming of the Elves)

Monsters in the woods that harass the elves on the move are seen to have something to do with Angband.

Episode 4: In the Woods of Nan Elmoth

Melian was a Maia, one of the Ainur, and her singing was renowned in Valinor. She went to Middle-earth to fill the silence with her voice and the songs of birds. (Of Thingol and Melian)

At this time, the hosts of the Noldor and the Teleri were separated by forests, and Elwë went often through the forests to visit his friend Finwë. It was during this time that he heard the singing of Melian, and—enchanted and forgetful of his purpose—he followed the sound until he came upon her in a clearing in Nan Elmoth. Enamored by her, he took her hand, and a spell was set upon him that they stood together for many years, during which he forgot his people and abided with her. (Of Thingol and Melian)

The people of Elwë sought him but did not find him, and Olwë his brother then took the kingship of the Teleri and led them to Aman. Elwë never made it to Valinor, and he and Melian became king and queen of Doriath. His people were the Sindar—the Grey Elves—and they were known for Melian’s power and the fact that, of all the Sindar, Elwë alone had seen the light of the Trees. In later years, he became known by the Sindarin name Elu Thingol. (Of Thingol and Melian)

At last, the Noldor and the Vanyar arrive at the shores of Middle-earth, where they first meet Ulmo and develop their love for the sea. It is also Ulmo who devices the means to transport them: He uproots and island and draws it across the sea to Aman with the Eldar upon it. (Of Eldamar)

Unfortunately, though, the Teleri had dawdled too long in eastern Beleriand, searching for Elwë. When they heard that Finwë and Ingwë had departed, many continued to the shore, where they befriended Ossë and Uinen and learned sea-music and sea-lore and fell in love with the sea. Others of the Teleri, however, remained in eastern Beleriand, searching still for Elwë. (Of Eldamar)

Introduce Olwë, Celeborn's father, and Círdan

Episode 5: Across the Sea

The Valar shaped the land of Valinor for the Noldor and Vanyar, breaking a gap in the Pelóri mountains to form the Calacirya, the Pass of Light, through which the Light of the Trees reached the shores of Aman and the western shore of Tol Eressëa. They raised a green hill called Túna, where the city of Tirion was built and the Vanyar and Noldor dwelt together in fellowship. (Of Eldamar)

The Vanyar were the beloved of Manwë and Varda, but Aulë and his people loved most the Noldor, who loved speech and craft. It was the Noldor—the House of Finwë—who first found gemstones and learned to shape them, giving them freely to others, enriching Valinor. (Of Eldamar)

Meanwhile, in Angband - conflict between Gothmog and Sauron. Do we see the orcs?

To the grief of Ossë, Ulmo returned to bear the Teleri over the sea, also on an island. Some of the Teleri were persuaded to remain behind: the Falathrim, of whom Círdan was lord. Those left searching for Elwë also wished to travel to Valinor, but Ulmo and Olwë would not wait, and they were left behind as the Eglath—the Forsaken People—and when Elwë awoke from his long trance, they settled in the forests as his people. (Of Eldamar)

Ossë, meanwhile, followed Olwë’s people upon their island, and he begged Ulmo to stay their passage. Having believed from the beginning that the Elves should remain in Middle-earth and also knowing the hearts of the Teleri and their love of the sea, Ulmo heeded the request, and anchored the island off the shores of Valinor, much to the displeasure of the other Valar and the dismay of Finwë. This island came to be known as Tol Eressëa, the Lonely Isle. (Of Eldamar)

After many ages upon Tol Eressëa, the Teleri began to feel conflicted by their love of the sea and their love of the light that came through Calacirya, and at last, desired the light of Valinor and to see their kinsmen again enough to leave Tol Eressëa. Ossë was grieved but obeyed their wishes and taught them the art of shipbuilding, giving them also a gift of swans by which their ships were drawn over the sea. In Valinor, they dwelt on the shores where they could meet their friends in Valmar and Tirion, if they desired, but also walk in the waves, beneath the stars. They scattered the beach with gemstones and found the first pearls; in their harbor were their famous ships, shaped as swans. (Of Eldamar)

The Vanyar, also, felt their hearts change and desired the full light of Valinor and moved to dwell with Manwë or in the forests surrounding Valinor. The kings, then, were Finwë in Tirion, Olwë in Alqualondë, and Ingwë of the Vanyar was King of all the Eldar. (Of Eldamar)

Episode 6: Grief in Valinor

The three races of Elves were now in Valinor, and Aman was its most blissful and productive. Among the illustrious achievements of this age was the invention of writing by Rúmil of Tirion, of the Noldor. Also at this time, Fëanor—the firstborn son of Noldorin king Finwë—was born in Tirion. (Of Fëanor)

While bearing her son, Fëanor’s mother Miriel put forth too much of her spirit and body into him and was consumed, too weary to go on living. She was sent to the Gardens of Lórien, where her spirit left her body and fled to Mandos, and Finwë alone of all the Elves in Aman knew grief and went to Lórien no more, giving his love instead to Fëanor... (Of Fëanor)

Opportunity to introduce the dwarves in their halls, before they meet the elves.

Episode 7: For the Elves Will Tell You Both Yes and No

...who grew swiftly and quickly became skilled in craft and lore, devising the first gemstones and improving the alphabet of Rúmil. (Of Fëanor)

While still young, Fëanor married Nerdanel, daughter of Mahtan. From Mahtan, Fëanor learned how to make things from metal and stone. Nerdanel alone could restrain the temper of her fiery husband, although he eventually became too much even for her. Nerdanel and Fëanor had seven sons. (Of Fëanor)

Around this time, Finwë decided to remarry and wed Indis of the Vanyar. Finwë and Indis had two sons—Fingolfin and Finarfin—and their marriage was not pleasing to Fëanor. Fëanor lived apart from them and busied himself with craft. (Of Fëanor)

In Middle-earth, in Beleriand, the Elves that had remained behind took Elwë as their lord. These Elves were called the Sindar, and in their language, Elwë was called Elu Thingol. Under his guidance and that of Melian, the Sindar thrived to be the wisest and most skillful of the Elves in Middle-earth, and while Melkor was still chained and Valinor was its fairest and brightest, a daughter Lúthien was born to Thingol and Melian. (Of Thingol and Melian)

Episode 8: Trial

In the second age of Melkor’s captivity, the Dwarves came also into Beleriand and built great halls in the sides of Ered Luin, the Blue Montains, chiefly Nogrod and Belegost. The Eldar welcomed the Dwarves—surprised to find that they were not the only people to speak and make things with their hands—although few learned the Dwarvish language and fewer ventured into their halls. The Dwarves built a road across Beleriand, and the Dwarves and the Elves profited much from each other. [Later, the Dwarves would form a stronger bond with the Noldor, whose work with gemstones they would prize above all else.] In the third age of Melkor’s captivity, the Dwarves reported to Thingol that the servants of Melkor lived still in the north and had begun to again roam the land. Uneasy at such reports, Thingol commissioned the Dwarves to make weapons for his people, and the Sindar learned much of the Dwarves, although they never surpassed them in skill, and the lands were free from evil once more. (Of the Sindar)

At this time also, Melian foresaw that the peace would not last forever, and Thingol paid the Dwarves to delve him an underground realm of caves called Menegroth. Under the guidance of Melian, the Elves and Dwarves worked together to create Menegroth in the likeness of Valinor, and it was the fairest dwelling east of the sea. (Of the Sindar)

It also came to pass that Melkor’s term of imprisonment ended, and he was brought before the Valar, where he swore to aid in healing the hurts he had caused. Manwë granted him pardon then, and he gave his counsel to the Valar and the Eldar. Soon, he was allowed to wander Aman at will, and though several of the Valar saw through to the evil that Manwë could not perceive, they did not rebel. (Of Fëanor)

The Noldor, however, loved the new skills that Melkor could teach them, and through them, Melkor spread the lies that would be their undoing. Fëanor, however, always hated and mistrusted Melkor, and though Melkor would later claim to have played a role in Fëanor’s genius, this was in fact a lie, and Fëanor always worked alone. (Of Fëanor)

The palantíri are created, likely by Fëanor...do we have any use for long distance communication with them in Valinor? (Formenos to Tirion, perhaps?)

Episode 9: In the Light of the Trees

Finwë’s house is summarized: his three sons, Fëanor, Fingolfin, and Finarfin, and their children. Fëanor was known for his skill with craft and words; Fingolfin was strongest and most valiant; and Finarfin was wisest and known also for bringing together the House of Finwë and the House of Olwë through his marriage to Olwë’s daughter Eärwen.(Of Fëanor)

The Noldor shared a love of knowledge and exploration, not least of all Fëanor son of Finwë, and he and his seven sons explored the lands of Aman and were often guests of Aulë and Celegorm—third son of Fëanor—of Oromë. (Of Eldamar)

[Aredhel's heart desires to find the sons of Fëanor, her friends of old...the land of Celegorm which she seeks...] (Of Maeglin)

Fëanor asks Galadriel for 3 locks of her hair; she refuses him.

When Fëanor came to his fullest creative power, he created the Silmarils, three jewels filled with the Light of the Two Trees. The Silmarils were hallowed by Varda so that no one mortal, evil, or with unclean hands could touch them. The people of Aman were delighted with the Silmarils, and Fëanor often displayed them at festivals. (Of the Silmarils)

Brief glimpse of a young Celebrimbor watching Fëanor at work?

We re-visit the body of Míriel in Lorien...possible Melkor standing over her?

Sauron and Gothmog training small bands of orcs and sending them out into Beleriand?

Episode 10: Discord

When Melkor saw the Silmarils, his desire to sunder the Valar and the Elves increased, and he began to spread rumors and lies among the Elves. While at first, little came of his labor, with time, the Elves began to whisper of what he told them, chief of which was that the Valar had brought the Eldar to Aman out of jealousy, fearing that the Elves would flourish beyond their control. The Valar had not yet spoken to the Elves of mortal Men, and this Melkor also used to his devices, claiming that the Valar preferred that the weaker mortal race should inherit Middle-earth. (Of the Silmarils)

The Noldor paid heed to these words, and a hunger for his own kingdom grew especially in Fëanor. While Fëanor despised Melkor, Melkor’s words reached him nonetheless, and he began to jealously guard the Silmarils. Seeing the strife between Fëanor and the children of Indis, Melkor also spread lies that Fingolfin sought to supplant Fëanor’s rights as the eldest son; to Fingolfin and Finarfin, he told that Fëanor would drive them from their homes in Tirion. (Of the Silmarils)

[Maedhros, the friend of Fingon ere Morgoth's lies came between] (Of the Flight of the Noldor)
[Fingon had been close in friendship with Maedhros] (Of the Return of the Noldor)

In previous chapters, it was told of Lenwë’s people, who forsook the journey of the Elves at the great river Anduin and later migrated further north. Lenwë’s people were a woodland folk, and they did not have weapons of steel. Hearing of the might of Thingol’s realm, Denethor, son of Lenwë, gathered his people and brought them over the mountains and into Beleriand, where they were welcomed by Thingol and dwelt in the land of Ossiriand. (Of the Sindar)

At this time also, Daeron devised the Cirth (runes), and the Dwarves praised it and learned it, and it spread throughout Middle-earth in the ensuing years, although Daeron’s own people—the Sindar—did not value it so much and used it little. (Of the Sindar)

Episode 11: Banishment

Not long after, the Noldor began crafting weapons and speaking openly of rebellion, especially Fëanor. Fingolfin sought the counsel of his father Finwë concerning Fëanor, and Fëanor threatened him with a sword on the palace stairs, earning himself twelve years of banishment from Tirion, a decree laid down by the Valar. At this time, the Valar also uncovered Melkor as the root of the rumors, but Melkor had fled and could not be found, although a shadow came over the land that told them that he remained in Aman. (Of the Silmarils)

Nerdanel decides NOT to go to Formenos with her husband and sons.

Fëanor went to Formenos to serve the terms of his banishment, taking his sons and his father Finwë with him. Fingolfin ruled the Noldor in his father’s stead. Melkor then came to Fëanor in Formenos and offered to help him form his own kingdom, adding that the Silmarils were at risk in any realm of the Valar. Fëanor saw through his fair words, though, and slammed the door in his face. Finwë, fearful of his son’s daring insolence, sent word immediately to the Valar. (Of the Silmarils)

Melkor fled then to Middle-earth, and the shadow was removed from Valinor, but not knowing what evil may still come, the people of Aman looked with fear to the future. (Of the Silmarils)

Episode 12: Preparation for the Feast

Manwë had planned the festival, intending to heal the feud between the princes of the Noldor. Fëanor was commanded to come, but Finwë and Fëanor's sons remained in Formenos, along with the Silmarils. (Of the Darkening of Valinor)

Hearing that Melkor had fled and suspecting that he had gone to his strongholds in the north of Middle-earth, Oromë and Tulkas pursued him, but he had turned back and gone—unknown to the Valar—into the south of Aman, to the land of Avathar. There lived Ungoliant the spider, in endless hunger, and she devoured all light that she could find and spun forth webs of darkness between a cleft in the mountains. Melkor persuaded her into his service by offering her anything she demanded, a promise he did not intend to keep. (Of the Darkening of Valinor)

Fëanor fortifies Formenos, making it a stronghold, and arms his people. Shift from craftsmanship to martial arts.

Episode 13: The Darkening of Valinor

Amid a cloak of darkness, Melkor and Ungoliant surveyed the realm of Valinor, which was in a time of festival honoring the gathering of fruits. Before the throne of Manwë, Fëanor met Fingolfin, who pardoned the threat Fëanor had made in Tirion and promised to follow him. (Of the Darkening of Valinor)

[She whom Finrod had loved was Amarië of the Vanyar] (Of the Noldor in Beleriand)

At the same time, the Trees mingled, and Ungoliant and Melkor came forth to Ezellohar, where the Trees stood. Melkor wounded each Tree with his spear and their sap poured forth, and Ungoliant drank them until they were dried and withered, swelling to a size that even Melkor feared and putting out clouds of darkness. (Of the Darkening of Valinor)

Darkness fell then on Valinor. The darkness—being made from the destruction of light—was malicious and all sight, sound, and will were lost. Manwë knew that it was the work of Melkor and Oromë and Tulkas set forth in pursuit of him, but they were lost amid the blindness and confusion of the darkness put forth by Ungoliant. (Of the Darkening of Valinor)

[Murder of Finwë in Formenos when the Sons of Fëanor flee.] (Of the Flight of the Noldor)

Meanwhile, Melkor and Ungoliant crossed the north of Aman, across the Helcaraxë, and into the north of Middle-earth. Melkor sought to escape Ungoliant, and she perceived this and stayed him, and he fed her one by one all of the treasures of Formenos—except for the Silmarils. The Silmarils had begun to burn him, but he held them away from her, until she rose against him and tried to strangle him with webs of darkness. He let forth a terrible cry then that echoed ever after in that land—called Lammoth—and it summoned from the depths of Angband the Balrogs that the Valar had failed to discover. With their whips, they broke her webs and she fled, frightened and under a cover of darkness, to Nan Dungortheb, the Valley of Dreadful Death. (Of the Flight of the Noldor)

Last edited:
I put this up as a conversation piece only. I have not gone into the wonderful detail that MithLuin has and I don't know my chronology as well and there are many story-lines I have not included, but there may be ways of piecing elements into certain episodes.

This outline is related to my post under "Ask the Co-Hosts" http://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/a-storytelling-question.267/
Therefore you may notice that I have indicated one main character per episode. It does become problematic, but this is a way to solve the "we have too many characters for the general viewing public to adequately keep track of" syndrome that we a re rapidly falling into.

Suggested Episode Overview Season 2:

1. The Awakening (Orome). Prologue (elves) shows the elves awakening from their point of view. Orome discovers the elves and spends time with them, takes the word back to Valinor, and returns to defend the elves in the War of Powers. Orome returns to Valinor for the trial of Melkor and Valar decide to invite the elves to live in Valinor. The words of Mandos.

2. The Invitation (Ingwe). The representatives are chosen and they travel to Valinor. They are enchanted by the beauty and resolve to accept the summons on behalf of all their people (Elwe catches a glimpse of Melian in Lorien?). Return to Cuvienen and the debate. One group refuse the call and call themselves The Avari, the Unwilling and disappear from the stories (one spokes-elf of note can be taken by evil forces and used in the SSNOP in later episodes).

3. The Vanya and Noldor (Finwe). The journey of the first kindred, led by Orome, spending years waiting for him to come back and lead them some more. The journey is hard and some lose heart and turn back. Elvish children are shown as they grow showing the passage of many years. Pursued by Melkor’s creatures, they embark upon the island to Valinor and are welcomed by the Valar.

4. The Teleri (Elwe and Olwe). The slow march of the Teleri in the footsteps of the first two groups. The stay east of the Misty Mountains and the departure of the Nandor. The continuation over the Misties and then the Blue Mountains into Beleriand. The loss of Elwe and the taking of Olwe to be king in Elwe’s absence. The final call comes and Olwe leads the remainder of his people over the sea while Cirdan and Elwe’s friends stay. The island stays in the bay becoming Tol Eressea and the Teleri are content to stay. The making of the gap in the Pelori and the light of the trees touching Tol Eressea.

5. The Birth of Feanor (Finwe). The romance of Finwe and Miriel, the Vanyar living on Taniquetil and the Noldor on Tirion. Pregnancy and the unborn Feanor burning brightly (portents etc.) The birth of Feanor, the waning of Miriel, her move to Lorien for healing and the departing of her spirit, Finwe visiting her body and his grief.

6. The second marriage of Finwe (Feanor). Finwe getting over the grief of losing Miriel, falling in love with Indis, the spirit of Miriel still being present in the household, Feanor feels it leading to anger and Finwe feels it leading to sorrow. The falling out of Feanor and his leaving to travel Valinor (montage of his travel spending time with many of the Valar and Calaquendi. Visits his mother’s body during travels and hears of the birth of his half-brothers Fingolfin and Finarfin. Meeting and falling in love with Nerdanel and marriage.

7. The Sindar (Mablung). The reuniting of Elwe and his friends after he wakes, friendship with the dwarves, the establishment of Doriath, the wedding of Thingol and Melian, the first attacks by orcs and the creating of Melian’s girdle.

8. The Unchaining of Melkor (question, do we state like the PubSil that Melkor was full of deceit or do we use suspense and have it a surprise when he turns? So who’s point of view is the episode from?)

9. The Silmarills (Feanor). Feanor’s admiration for the two trees, wondering how to preserve their light, asking Galadriel for a lock of hair, consulting with Aule, testing, failing, trying again, making them (make him a bit Amadeus by nearly killing himself with the creative exertion). The admiration from all on his creation, the hallowing by Varda and Mandos’ prophecy.

10. The lies of Melkor (a Noldor smith). The subtle lies spread among the Noldor, Feanor creates his secret forge, fell weapons are made and worn by many Noldor. Feanor speaks out about returning to Middle Earth, The confrontation between Feanor and Fingolfin in Tirion (beef up the confrontation), the banishment of Feanor for 12 years.

11. Banishment of Feanor (Feanor). The banishment of Feanor, the Building of Formenos, creating the horde and the chamber of iron for the Silmarils. Finwe goes to Formenos, Fingolfin takes up the kingship in Tirion. Feanor spurns Melkor on his doorstep and makes a sworn enemy.

12. Melkor Flees (Melkor). A replay of the events in the last episode from Melkor’s point of view, Melkor being revealed, hiding as mist, going to Formenos when we see his true lust for the Silmarils, nearly being captured by Tulkas, fleeing to the south, seeking out Ungoliant, taking on his last and permanent form, an uneasy alliance with Ungoliant (he narrowly gets her to agree to aid him almost becoming her dinner). The journey through Valinor in darkness, cliff-hanger as they come to the two trees.

13. The Darkening (Fingolfin). Feanor arriving for the celebration, Manwe declaring he was invited, the reuniting of the brothers and the promise of Fingolfin, the darkening from Taniquetil, the pursuit and Tulkas’ beating the air, the trees demise told by a witness, the ring of doom and the request for Feanor to yield the Silmarils and his refusal, the news of the death of Finwe and the theft of the silmarils brought to Fingolfin and Feanor, the naming of Morgoth and the curse to Manwe. Epilogue (Melkor). Melkor’s rescue from Ungoliant by the balrogs.

The decision to (mostly) focus on the Middle Earth storyline and then switch to Valinor about half-way through the season is going to require some reworking, but what I heard of the breakdown was pretty workable. The theme for the season is definitely the philosophical question of the place of the Elves in creation, and all the sundering and splitting that happens when they disagree on that (triggered by the Valar's invitation to Valinor). There is also a desire to save both dwarves and the construction of Menegroth until Season 3, which makes the timeline a little tricky....

1250: Dwarves Enter Beleriand
1300: Thingol Builds Menegroth with the Help of the Dwarves
1330: Orcs first enter Beleriand
1350: Denethor leads the Laiquendi into Beleriand

We want the 1350 event, but we want to leave out the 1250-1330 events...sorta. As long as Denethor doesn't visit Thingol, that's quite workable, and the 'meanwhile, in Middle Earth' early in Season 3 (or whenever the rebel Noldor are in Araman) can get the audience caught up there.

It's probably going to work but I'll have to listen to the whole session before I can contribute with something valuable. I missed about a third of the broadcast.
My suggestion will probably be that we postpone the arrival of the Laiquendi.

Whew! Amazing write ups. Though I did my "homework" by reading my chapters the only thing I think I can add (and more of an opinion once again) is to leave out (for now) the mention of the birth of Luthien via EP7. The Tale of Beren and Luthien (for me, anyways) was such a cornerstone chapter and of course both characters have a huge impact. I don't think it would add much at all to mention her birth only to revisit the tale later (perhaps seasons later). I think it could work (and well) by retroactively recounting her birth if needed.

So how did this end up going?

I was busy playing board games and trying to finagle my way into a regular D&D group because apparently I believe I am still 15 years old and that it is currently 1996.

The session went well, and the co-hosts got a lot done despite being a man down through most of it; Dave Kale wasn't feeling well.

Nothing wrong with D&D. Been trying to get a group together here for a bit now. Might even consider running a one-shot of the old Middle-Earth Roleplaying game at Midmoot in September, actually. :)

But back to the session. We probably won't see the audio feed up until sometime next week if past experience is any indication. There is a lot of editing that is done over at Mythgard and this is by no means their only project.

As to content, they worked out a timeline for the episodes which I think may work out very well with minimal tweaking. As MithLuin mentioned earlier, the first half of the season is going to be primarily Middle-Earth focused as we track the migration of the Teleri. Then we'll be diving into what is happening over in Valinor with the Noldor for most of the second half, including the Simarils and the Unchaining of Melkor.

By the way, they intend to frontload some of the design stuff this time, so the next session will be going over that.

Nothing wrong with D&D. Been trying to get a group together here for a bit now. Might even consider running a one-shot of the old Middle-Earth Roleplaying game at Midmoot in September, actually. :)
It was I that posted the "No Drow please". I have nothing against D&D, and have played it, but it is not the Silmarillion. Even if Tolkien was a major influence on D&D and other role-playing games, there are quite large and numerous differences.

Back