Session 2.02

Maybe Celeborn is born around that time as well, we can have an episode full of baby elves.

Haha, I love it, babies!!! :) Cuteness overload.
Perhaps when Elwë introduces Melian to the other Teleri, she can be obviously pregnant with their child. The 'oh hey guys, I met this woman and got married while I was gone' introduction without much explanation.

Fëanor's courting of Nerdanel is also going to be non-proper if we do it right. He is young to be married (just under 50, while elves don't typically come of age or marry until 50-100 years), and they spend a lot of time exploring Valinor together, which suggests roaming the wild alone, not carefully chaperoned visits or anything of that nature.

I'm not suggesting that I want these relationships to be viewed as scandalous or anything like that - I mean, they get married and raise families and everything is above-board. But there is something 'not tame' about the nature of the courtship in both cases. Whereas Finwë and Indis are going to be completely proper and proceed with decorum...except for the part where this is Finwë's second marriage and Fëanor is furious that his mother is being replaced.

Actually, if we show the birth of Celeborn, and later the birth of Lúthien, Celeborn could have grown up to be a teenager or even reached adulthood by the time Lúthien is born - a way to show the passing of time. Celeborn could also say that these two events happened at about the same time, which will give us some feeling of the elven sense of time if we see him grow up in that time span.

Do we want to tie together the births of Fëanor and Lúthien? If we placed both of these events in episode 6, that could serve the 'Elvenhome' theme nicely as we develop an episode that tries to address what it means to be an elf. Both of them are exceptional, and responsible for driving the fate of many....but of course very different, and the fates of their parents are...actually, not so different as they appear at first glance. Both Finwë and Elwë are murdered over the Silmarils, and both Míriel and Melian die of grief (albeit for different reasons). But at any rate, the potential is not clear, as they would just be babies in these scenes.
The point being to... contrast them? I mean, it's not something that I think we're as readers meant to do, really, in the Published Silm or any of its versions. I don't think we couldn't do it, but I'm not sure why we would.

I think that yes, the effect would be that we contrast them, but it's also a way to mark time and present a beginning of their stories. It's like, "we have a lot of people here in our story, but listen and look carefully now, because these ones are going to be really important".

I don't really think I would want to telegraph Luthien at all, really. I'd kind of like for her to be a bit part until out of nowhere, bam front and center.

Feanor, on the other hand, yeah, big to do, pomp and circumstance.

Fëanor's birth is also necessary to show because Miriel dies. There's no real story in Lúthien's birth.

I don't really think I would want to telegraph Luthien at all, really. I'd kind of like for her to be a bit part until out of nowhere, bam front and center.

Feanor, on the other hand, yeah, big to do, pomp and circumstance.

I agree with the Luthien bit. I think the audience's reaction should be the same as Beren's when he first sees her which is lost if we've seen her several times prior to the meeting.

I do not think that it should be a secret that Thingol and Melian have a daughter, nor are we going to 'save' her onscreen for the meeting with Beren. If nothing else, we have to show Daeron being hopelessly in love with her prior to Beren showing up. But also, we are going to show Galadriel becoming friends with Melian and meeting Celeborn, so Luthien would be very conspicuous by her absence. Obviously, if we are just showing her as a baby/small child here, we don't need her adult actress yet this season. She can be a background character/bit part until Season 5, but...not a secret.

The 'story' in her birth is not much of one, I agree - it's that the Sindar have settled down to make a home for themselves in Doriath. In this season, we are pre-Menegroth and pre-Girdle of Melian, so showing them starting families gives a bit more of the 'settled' feel, to show that they've given up the idea of ever going to Valinor. We don't have to do this, of course, and I'm not sure we need to make the point that a Maia and an Elf can have a baby together, but it is interesting, and it is happening about that time, and....that episode still has no storyline, just a theme. I feel we could do with a parallel to the birth of Fëanor story in Valinor, and birth of Lúthien in Doriath seemed the obvious choice. But it could also be the birth of Celeborn, since he is in our Frame and we will need that to tie this episode together no matter what we do.

I just don't think she needs to be winked and pointed at as "Hey, check it out, big deal over here" until her part in the story becomes relevant, I wasn't suggesting we wait for a surprise reveal out of nowhere.

Back