Session 2.08 for S2E04

"Why do the Nandor leave?" is a tricky question, and I hope the hosts have some ideas. It can just be, 'Wow, the Misty Mountains look tall...no thanks' or 'we didn't realize the journey would be so long' or 'what pretty forests these are....let's stay here!'

But none of those reasons are super compelling.

As I understand the pubSil, they stop out of fear. So if that's the way we're going, we should just make the Misty Mountains really scary. That would mean that those who cross accomplish something really difficult and challenging.

I was trying to introduce the idea of a combination of reasons, that some fear the mountains and some (Lenwë, among others) find Ents.

When Thingol's reaction to seeing Melian was described as "Oh my gosh!", it made me put on my pondering cap, and yet I can't think of any equivalent exclamation that the denizens of Middle-Earth, especially an elf, might actually utter. "By Cirdan's beard!" has a nice ring to it...

As I understand the pubSil, they stop out of fear. So if that's the way we're going, we should just make the Misty Mountains really scary. That would mean that those who cross accomplish something really difficult and challenging.

I was trying to introduce the idea of a combination of reasons, that some fear the mountains and some (Lenwë, among others) find Ents.

Maybe its not a tangible fear (i.e. gee those mountains look scary and maybe there are giant rock monsters in them), but more of an existential fear, as in 'we're afraid that by leaving Middle Earth, we are not fulfilling our true purpose and destiny'.

Well, I think that the suggestion that Lenwe makes contact with the Ents would give us an excellent way to keep the Nandor on the eastern side of the mountains without them appearing to be a bunch of wimps.

It was mentioned in passing in the episode, but if the subtext of the entire frame (and even bits of the main story) is "The Redemption of Celeborn" I would be very happy. I always liked Celeborn and feel bad that he comes off a bit... underwhelming.

Back