Session 2.14 for S2E10

I agree, I toyed with the idea to include Finarfin at the meeting but it seemed to cause more problems than it solved.

I think you're right, Tol Eressëa is abandoned at this stage. But I think they could visit, hike on the island or sail around it and perhaps meet up with Ossë?

About Finarfin taking his time - I kind of like the idea that he is the opposite of impulsive, likes to ponder things for a while, isn't particularly concerned with keeping appointments and so on. Not that he should be slow, but more like he's not doing anything rushed.

Reflective almost to a fault? Sometimes, taking too long is almost worse than acting too quickly.

Reflective almost to a fault? Sometimes, taking too long is almost worse than acting too quickly.
Yes. Of course we can discuss to what degree. But if we go this way (which is in fact reasonable considering elven lifespan) he will have no means to deal with the explosive events that follow.

One option for Feanor becoming paranoid would be if someone could rival him in crafting, at least he thinks so. Maybe in a way he thinks somebody is steeling his ideas. Melkor could even enable that secretely to all, to Feanor, to this other craftsman and also to the viewer of course.

If this craftsman is Fingolfin, what does he create? Is he a craftsman at all? Does he forge his sword Ringil himself? Did Feanor design it?

"But Fingolfin gleamed beneath it as a star; for his mail was overlaid with silver, and his blue shield was set with crystals; and he drew his sword Ringil, that glittered like ice."
Coming back to this; I was rereading the Weapons & Warfare thread (general discussion, if memory doesn't fail me) and there MithLuin suggested that someone other than Feanor invents the first sword, since not every great work of the Noldor has to be his (with all the caveats about whether or not a sword is a "great work" applying). What if it's Fingolfin? If we have him being sympathetic/listening to Melkor, he might very well be the first to take that step. Feanor, then, would be copying him in this aspect, which surely would tick him off.

The reason Finarfin wasn't at the meeting was that he was walking with Aredhel and was letting her lead and they wound up going the wrong way. ;-)

It is going to be important that this is shot in a way so that the viewer understands the confusion and misinformation that is being bandied about and how it contributes to the reactions of everyone involved. Although we have established that Feanor is starting to spin off the rails, we need to show that from his perspective, he is reacting as the wronged eldest son of a revered king and not some petulant schoolboy.

Back