Session 2.17 for S2E13

Yes, this is credited to the efforts of Yavanna and Nienna, and leads directly to the creation of the Sun and the Moon (late in Season 3).

So, while that might not happen yet, there should definitely be a major effort to save the fading, dying Trees - they're not...dead...yet... until the end of the Episode. We don't necessarily have to see the last bloom/fruit, but we could see the Triage. Nienna is likely 'just weeping' and not doing anything. Yavanna is doing stuff (singing, coaxing it back to life, breathing on it?). Fëanor is...?

Could Feanor be lost in genuine mourning for the trees? I mean, he's a creator himself, he's surely be capable of appreciating their majesty. Easy to lose track of in the "I'm Feanor I'm so great" vibe we're setting up, but it's the freakin' trees, man. Possibly the finest things ever created on Arda.

Yes, but that takes away his agency in this episode if he's lost in mourning.

Feanor could be attempting to funnel starlight into the trees through means similar to how he funneled tree light into the Silmarils.

OK, so he's actively involved in attempted healing/repair. That's a good step for a guy who usually does stuff rather than have stuff happen to him.

Perhaps when Feanor sees the work of Yavanna and Nienna, he grabs some of the Feanorean Lamps, breaks them open, and tries to coax the remaining dew from the Trees into the containers of the lamps for safe keeping. And when the flower and the fruit are produced, we can show that the initial holding containers for both are the Feanorean Lamps that Feanor himself broke to provide some sort of vessel for the light of the Trees. So, while Feanor is truly disconsolate that the Trees are dying, instead of lapsing into mourning, his creative impulses spring to life.

And then he's called to speak to the Valar.....

That would work also. And yes, after all that, when the Valar ask him to break open the Silmarils, their expectation that he'll do it makes more sense.

OK this is good. I like both the Fingolfin assisting angle (he's no Feanor, but he's high Noldor, surely he has some useful crafting skills) and the Lamps.

Yes let's do this!

If Fëanor has been fighting for the life of the Trees and failed, and then is asked to give away his loved Silmarils in the desperate hope of bringing light back to the Trees, this will be a seriously tough dilemma.

This would also help explain the snarkiness of Tulkas "Speak, Noldo...". Tulkas has been out trying to find Melkorgoth so he hasn't seen the work that Feanor has already put forth trying to save the trees... and also explains Aule stepping in and gently rebuking Tulkas.

I don't like the idea of Tulkas' words being the thing that pushes Feanor over the edge, but I really can't see a way around that perception.

I think the text as written supports that interpretation, and there really isn't anything else to sway him one way or the other. We could maybe spread the blame around by who's in the subsequent shots and giving a long, heavy silence, providing ample opportunity for people to say something before Aule finally comes in with his "this is a hard thing you're asking him to do", and of course at that point his mind's made up....

Not to be too heavy handed (but hey, it's showbiz), we could even have Feanor holding pieces of a broken lamp in his hands throughout the debate and seemingly doesn't realize it. Then, during the pregnant pause while everyone is looking at him, he looks down at the shattered remains of a Feanorean Lamp in his hands and has his epiphany.

Just as an update, I have no response yet concerning the move of the Thieves' Quarrel to S03, either by email, or on Twitter. If anyone has another method by which to make contact, feel free, because this is a change to their vision for the end of this episode. Heck if enough folks bugged them on Twitter, we might get a response.

I think it would be possible for us to write it the way we think best, with a disclaimer, and allow them to reject the idea in the Script Outline discussion (which the next two sessions are devoted to). I don't really want to pester them....

Last edited:
Looks like the Game of Thrones maker have stolen our idea of a final throne room scene with Melkor vs. Feanor!

Huh... good promo, but having not followed the show in 6 seasons... is the modern music normal?

Anyway, I think that's the sort of "inevitability" feel we want for the Melkor-Feanor feud at the end of Season 2.

Here is the season 6 soundtrack for Game of Thrones, so I'd say it's safe to say that this is promo material only.

Back