Session 3.17 - S3Ep12: Penultimate to the Season Finale

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Questions for Next Time - Friday March 23rd

1. How do we make Fingolfin’s arrival in Middle Earth fitting?
  2. What does Círdan do in response to the burned ships?
  3. What is Maedhros thinking when he accepts the parley?
  4. How do we handle the Rising of the Moon and the Girdle of Melian?

3. Maedhros is probably wondering “Is it true?” and even if that Morgoth genuinely wants to surrender, they should bring a large number of people to support him; it says in the Published Silmarillion “Maedhros... persuaded his brothers to feign to treat with Morgoth, and to meet his emissaries at the place appointed; by the Noldor had as little thought of faith as had he.” [Published Silmarillion 108]. Since the Noldor know of Morgoth (he’s a Vala, which means he much more powerful than they are), they are at the least suspicious, if they don’t assume it’s a trap, and bring lots of soldiers. It just so happens that Morgoth sends more soldiers, plus at least two Balrogs, as the text mentions that there were Balrogs, in the plural.

1. Not really sure. The text says that the Sun rises for the first time when Fingolfin reaches Mithrim. Or has the Sun already risen in our series of events?

1. Do we include the Battle of the Lammoth (but without Argon)?
The podcast is not yet available for me to download so I am hesitant to try and answer any question without listening to the decisions that have been made. Concerning Argon, is there anyone that can take his place? He almost single handedly turns this battle and becomes such a legend that his name is popular even in the 3rd age.

I don’t know; maybe we can have Argon. He’d have to be retroactively introduced.

No, it was requested that we not have Argon. There are enough other characters named in the Silmarillion whom we've barely introduced yet, so it was deemed a waste of time to try to fit Argon in. So, start with the published Silmarillion version and then go from there.

2. We might have to make something up. It's not mentioned what Cirdan's reaction was to the burned ships, but as a shipwright, he'd think it was a waste for the Noldor at the very least. He will most likely be angry that they were taken from the Teleri in Alqualonde, then he puts two and two together, and realizes what the Noldor have done. Then he writes to Thingol.

Thinking as an engineer/designer, my hope is that Cirdan would work through his tears and glean every speck of shipbuilding technical knowledge he can from the wreckage.

As part of that, he should immediately learn:

1. These ships were built by his kin across the sea.

2. The ships have been sailed here by sailors who did NOT know what they were doing (remains of rigging all screwed up or whatever).

1 and 2 together gives a pretty good guess of at least the outline of what happened.

4. The text mentions Fingolfin marching to Middle-Earth when he sees the rising of the moon. Unless we have changed the timeline...

The Published Silmarillion, pg. 100: "...and even as the Moon rose above the darkness in the west, Fingolfin let blow his silver trumpets and began his march into Middle-Earth, and the shadows of his host went long and black before them."

What does Círdan do in response to the burned ships?

Unlike SOME people, some of us have not forgotten Cirdan. In the script outlines, we have used Cirdan to contextualize what Feanor's actions mean from a point of view outside of the Cult of Personality he has created. In E08 Cirdan says that only the Enemy could wreak such wanton destruction. In E09, he and Celeborn trace Feanor's host up the Firth of Drengist onboard ships, and have a discussion where it is revealed that Cirdan knows the burned ships were of Teleri construction, and they wonder about what has happened. In E10, they track the Feanorians on foot up to the Rainbow(less) Cleft and discuss whether they are tracking the Teleri survivors, or the monsters who slew them. At the end of the season, we have some choices to make. Cirdan cannot actually make diplomatic contact with the Noldor until after the Noldor are reconciled. We could conceivably have him meet them if we want them to be unable to understand each others' languages (which has other problems), or we can have him find them, but send word to Thingol before making actual contact. We could have them witness the arrival of Fingolfin's host on the plains about Thangorodrim, which would go a long way to helping create the mythos with which the Sindar surround the new arrivals.

MithLuin, are you and Nick opposed to, or interested in using, the timeline I suggested here? I noticed you didn't show it to Corey but I don't know if that was lack of time, or widespread opposition to my idea. I didn't much expression of opinion about it either liking or disliking it. Does anyone here have an opinion about it? If you all oppose it, please tell me why it's bad?

I really, really prefer to put the whole parley in Episode 11 significantly before the Moon rises, and delay the entire spider attack until episode 12. Otherwise it will look like Maedhros was only imprisoned for about a week at most, and it was totally no big deal at all. He certainly should be captured and chained before the Moon rises.

1. Do you mean, what do we have them do, in addition to the Moon rising dramatically upon their march?

3. That they might really bring a Silmaril, and he really badly wants to take it, but Morgoth does not deserve his good faith and can't be trusted anyway. He may argue that, if there's even a chance the Silmaril will be brought to the parley, that the Oath requires them to do something.

Now, why are his brothers not present? Some of them may think the parley is too dangerous/foolhardy. Some of them are unhappy with him for openly disagreeing with Feanor, but what motivation does that give say Curufin for specifically opposing this parley? I wonder if it was agreed that it was better not to bring any of his brothers for some strategic reason.

I'll post an updated version of my proposal here instead, to avoid confusion, since it had things crossed out on it and stuff. I'll probably edit it once I watch all of last week's podcast.

(things that I think cannot be moved to a later episode)

Episode 11: The Last Light
Second Battle aftermath - Death of Fëanor
Boldog's remnant army returns to Angband
More falling out among the sons of Fëanor
Sauron’s false parley leads to Maedhros’ capture
Valar Interlude - Making of the Sun and the Moon
, council of the Valar
Crossing the Helcaraxë pt 3 - Cold and misery, Tilion and the Aurora (shadows vs. Tilion)
Laiquendi will have no new King
Beleg sends a message to Thingol ?

Episode 12: Despair and Hope
Maedhros’ brothers refuse to bargain with Morgoth, Maedhros is interrogated (tortured)
Beleg reaches Doriath

Spiders attack Menegroth - surprise!
Melian creates the Girdle, repels the spiders from Doriath
Crossing the Helcaraxë pt 4
- Endurance through cold and starvation
Círdan’s scouts discover the Ñoldor at Lake Mithrim
Fingolfin reaches Middle-earth, Rising of the Moon - Maedhros has already been chained to Thangorodrim for a significant period of time

Episode 13: A New Age
Hiding of Valinor (Valar send-off)
Eöl buys Nan Elmoth with Anglachel
Círdan reports the arrival of the Ñoldor to Thingol (can be the last tag)
Saeros and Guest-Elves go to Doriath (this is a retreat)
Fëanorians fortify camp in Mithrim, Maglor declared King (this is a retreat)
Fingolfin's folk march across the land to Thangorodrim
Rising of the Sun -- Beleriand and Mithrim start changing immediately and visibly
Uneasy detente between Fingolfin and Maglor's camps at Mithrim, Fingolfin reforging Ringil

Last edited:
There likely isn't room in Episode 11 for the parley.

I was not sure until Friday how the Execs would feel about having Feanor's death be in the beginning of an episode rather than at the end of one. They said it was fine, so we do have some flexibility in how we structure the Feanorean plot line in episode 11 now.

Even so, there are a *lot* of other things that have to happen in that episode, and it is more important that we give the Valar a proper sendoff and introduce the spiders. The Execs also suggested not including Eol's purchase of Nan Elmoth here, because it was getting a bit crowded. But we may have room for a tag with the emissary arriving. We'llsee.

So, certainly, we can talk about getting the parley started prior to the rising of the Moon here in Episode 12. As for your concern about timing, I imagine we will show Maedhros suffering from exposure and starvation while he hangs from Thangorodrim. But we don't need to pin him up there immediately. He won't be rescued until next season.

I think that the hosts are finally starting to see just how empty the final episodes of this season would have been if no changes had been made, which explains why they were ok moving Feanor's actual death scene to E11. They even reluctantly agreed to allow the creation of the girdle in E12 rather than in E11.

I completely understand not having the time to talk about any outline proposal, what with the whole Amros thing, and I forgot that we hadn’t yet gotten permission to delay Fëanor’s death.

I do wholly agree that the Sun and Moon plot are of the greatest importance in Ep 11, and we will need at least one scene each for the Helkaraxe and the Council of the Valar, plus one more for the shadow demons vs. Tilion if we have that fight.

But, what I don’t understand right now is, why is it necessary to put the spider battle in Ep 11 instead of Ep 12? Can people here please explain why you are thinking the spider battle cannot begin in Ep 12? (Unless Corey explained why it must be done that way, last Friday -- I did not find time to finish the whole podcast tonight.) To my mind, that time in Ep 11 could be better spent attempting to fit the parley into the episode. I request that we attempt to include as much of the parley as will fit when we script-outline Episode 11 – we can at least see how much can be shown.

So, certainly, we can talk about getting the parley started prior to the rising of the Moon here in Episode 12. As for your concern about timing, I imagine we will show Maedhros suffering from exposure and starvation while he hangs from Thangorodrim. But we don’t need to pin him up there immediately.
*nod* Certainly, if we really can’t fit it into Ep 11. Although, so far I do prefer Marielle’s idea to not show the actual chaining at all (neatly avoiding the logistical question of how it was done, and saving screentime), just have him already up there when the Moon rises and briefly show his reaction to the light. Or only his reaction to Fingolfin’s trumpets, which come so soon after the Moon rises. The rather short time between Moonrise and Fingolfin reaching Angband doesn’t really leave enough time for any part of Maedhros’ story to happen after Fingolfin arrives, not to mention how Fingolfin’s host would get involved somehow (and provoke a reaction from Maedhros) if they were already in Middle-earth while or before the parley was happening.

Nick can correct me if I’m mistaken (or totally out to lunch) about pacing here, but it seems to me that the Moon rising is by far THE most awesome and dramatic event in Episode 12, and it would be best to make it the last or penultimate scene in Act 4, with swelling music and a major scene-lighting change. Whatever else we do here, my current feeling is that the rest of the episode’s events, or nearly all of them, should happen before the Moon rises.

He won’t be rescued until next season.
True, but that is the very first thing next season, right?

About Argon:
It’s already been said here that he won’t exist in our story, but I wanted to say two additional things about the battle in Lammoth. It was one of Tolkien’s later ideas and I usually prefer those, but it is one that has two problems to my mind. One is simply the difficulty of cramming it into our very packed and squeezed season ending – possibly it could be fit into Episode 13, though for now I’m somewhat skeptical.

The other problem I see with the idea is more fundamental. Yes, it’s clear that Calaquendi can survive decades of starvation and/or extreme cold (though we are shortening the timeline for both the Helkaraxe and Maedhros, which makes both more believable) But for me, it’s a bigger stretch to imagine that the shivering, starved, bone-tired host of Fingolfin can win a battle against an Orc ambush, as handily and decisively as in that Lammoth Battle story, just a few hours after finally getting off of the Ice. It strains my sense of plausibility if they were not exhausted, unarmored, and in need of rest. In fact I think (in Ep 13) they probably should rest for a bit, and find some fresh food, before marching to Angband.

Valar discussion prompt:
In the Council of the Valar, Manwë’s final ruling is that they will almost never intervene with the Ñoldorin war effort which is doomed anyway, and will not make any direct attack that could either destroy a continent, wipe out the Second Children, or provoke Morgoth into blasting most life off of Arda. But during the Council, what will he and the other Valar say? Ulmo is going to be intervening, and Tolkien said that Manwë was aware of and allowed or approved of Ulmo’s actions throughout the First Age. Will that come up at the Council, or privately between the two of them? If the latter, will it be kept hidden from the audience so Ulmo’s interventions are a surprise? Will we mention the Eagles, or hint at/foreshadow them, or keep them a total surprise?

We are showing the Valar stepping back, and will complete that stepping back with the Hiding of Valinor (hopefully delayed until Ep. 13). Do we want to make it clearly gradual, with some minimalist intervention foreshadowed? Or openly planned? Or do we want to make the Ñoldor (not to mention the wholly innocent Dark Elves, Dwarves, Ents, and Mortals) look wholly abandoned, and then spring out Thorondor and Ulmo as total surprises? I’m inclined to foreshadow something subtly, if we can do so without any spoilers or guarantees of intervention. So, nothing specific to Eagles, Gondolin, or Nargothrond. I think that we can balance showing that the Valar do care about those folks, without spoiling future plots.

Regarding the innocence of all those non-Ñoldorin people in Middle-earth, I think it’s important that in the Council the Valar have concrete and clear reasons for non-interferance, besides punishing or allowing the Ñoldorin rebellion. I think Tolkien wasn’t clear enough that they did consider all those other innocent peoples, and we should show them thinking hard about it and articulating why intervening would also be bad for all those folks. Directly attacking Angband would destroy a continent and that’s clearly bad, but they could have intervened indirectly to give aid to the Dark Elves, Dwarves, Ents, and especially the Humans to whom they never even sent a messenger. I am thinking that we probably ought to either show the Valar having a good and justifiable reason for not helping or even speaking to any of those people ... or we should plan/brainstorm to later, occasionally show some subtle, indirect interventions in their favor, interventions that aren’t for the benefit of the Exiles.

Melian will protect Doriath. I can’t recall whether the Falathrin Havens get sacked again, but if not we could subtly imply that Ulmo is protecting them, as he later protected Gondolin, Nargothrond, and probably Balar and the Mouths of Sirion. So, maybe the Sindar can basically be doing alright, except those who join in the Ñoldorin war efforts. So, what about the Nandor, Ents, Dwarves, Avari, and Mortals?

The Hosts were fine with introducing the Spiders attacking Doriath in the same episode as the raising of the Girdle. I am not.

Giant spiders are meant to be freaky and terrifying. So, if they are a surprise attack, this unknown threat out of the blue....then you can't defeat them 5 minutes after they appear on screen. They're...nothing, no threat, no danger, no...anything. We knew about the orcs long before there was an orc battle. We built up to it. There was anticipation. Same with the balrogs who just killed Fëanor. The audience may very well have forgotten about Sauron's conversation with the freaky giant spiders in the barren mountains by now, and so they're not primed to think any particular way about them. How dangerous are these spiders to the elves?

And so...we have to show them that. The Doriath plotline for episode 11 needs to be 'Doriath is overrun with giant spiders no one knew about,' not, 'Don't worry, dear, giant spiders attacked your kingdom while you were gone, but I took care of them.' So, once the spiders are introduced as a credible threat that no one knows how to fight, *then* we can have Melian make the Girdle. I think that works best split across two different episodes.

I'm not saying we need screentime for 40 minutes of giant spiders attacking and eating elves. Nothing like that. Just some time to see the problem, figure out what does and does not work against them. (Light and Song are great; Traditional weapons, not so much.) Time for everybody to get concerned and panic about this new threat.

Putting it all in one episode is fine, if the episode is focused on that. But since the episode also contains the death of Fëanor and the making of the Sun and Moon...I doubt that would work as well (and same with Episode 12 having other focuses). Obviously, there's more than one way to structure all of this stuff. Here at the end of the Season, we have to make sure we're bringing all of our season-long arcs to a satisfactory close. Waiting too long to spring a surprise makes it look like we didn't plan for it, or that we're trying to set it up for next season. I think the Girdle and the Spiders should be wrapped up in Episode 12, so I was hoping to see the spiders in Episode 11.

I guess I feel the very same way about the parley and Maedhros imprisonment story -- that it can't all be squeezed down into one single episode without damaging the pacing and making the situation look insignificant, -- and so either we should spread it out over Eps 11-12, which I think we could do if Episode 11 wasn't half spiders and half Valar -- or else he isn't even captured at all until after the Moon rises and Fingolfin is in Middle-earth (as depicted in the current working outline), which I think would be a mistake. We have a lot of work to do with the parley, too -- we have to show the messengers going back and forth multiple times which needs several scenes, plus 2 scenes inside Angband, and a battle scene. I don't think that all that can or should be squeezed into just a few scenes as Plot C of Ep 12, which is already mostly focused on the Spider battle and the Girdle.

It seems to me that you are saying we will need to show all the different strategies that are tried against the Spiders, and depict in detail which strategies do and don't work, in Ep 11. If I'm not mistaken and that is what you're thinking here, I think that proabably cannot be depicted in less than approximately 1.5-2 Acts, or about half an episode. At the same time I don't follow why Episode 12 cannot mainly focus on the Spider battle -- that was already going to be the primary focus of Ep 12, right? If Maedhros is captured in Episode 11, then Episode 12 will have more time for the Spiders and the Girdle -- much more than just 5 minutes. When we outlined the Dagor-nuin-Giliath episode, we put nearly all the battle in one episode and it didn't feel to me that we made that battle look insignificant -- it took up much of Ep 10, but we still had room for 2 Helkaraxe scenes with Elenwe's death, and some other stuff too. When we wrote the death of Denethor episode, again most of the battle was in one episode, but it didn't feel insignificant or a foregone conclusion either. So I don't follow why this battle needs to be the primary focus for two episodes. The Spiders have been seen before by the audience.

What about this: put the start of the spider attack near the end of Ep 11 (huge horrific monsters eat people! somebody's dwarf-made sword breaks on a spider's carapace and it eats him), but only 1 scene or 2 short scenes of that. Not show multiple different battles in which a bunch of different weapons and songs are each attempted against them, delay those battles until Ep 12. Then we see how much room that leaves in Ep 11 for the Feanorian plot and see how much of it can be dealt with before Ep 12.

Last edited:
Back