Session 4.02 - Season 4 Episode Outlines

Of all the capture plans, this one bothers me the least. I imagine it would have to be something of a mini-arc, lasting a 2-3 episodes at least to make the meaning stick, but it ticks off a bunch of boxes. It allows named characters to interact and be developed. It prevents us from needing a named villain in the room every time that we want to show these guys, preventing the temptation for unnecessary monologuing. It makes the escape a bit more believable. A weakened and emotionally damaged elf would (should?) have serious trouble escaping Angband, but Rog and Ecthelion together, make that very believable. This makes the idea that they were intentionally allowed to escape more insidious.

To me, Ecthelion and Rog cannot be allowed to escape and be spies for Morgoth, since Gondolin would have been compromised earlier than Maeglin’s treachery.

To me, Ecthelion and Rog cannot be allowed to escape and be spies for Morgoth, since Gondolin would have been compromised earlier than Maeglin’s treachery.
They don’t become spies. None of them. Nobody suggested that, ever. Orodreth is just weakened and by himself an element of risk, but certainly no spy.

The suspicion that one of them has fallen during the captivity is an entirely different thing. We don’t have to explicitly say that they’re all ok in that regard.

It doesn’t say when Melkor starts pumping out smoke and ash, but Dagor Agraleb is heralded by earthquakes and fire erupting forth from the Iron Mountains.

If that is the case, and Morgoth darkens that lands about Angband, watching that darkness extend towards the lands of the Elves would be ominous. If we went through with @Haakon 's idea and had Rog, Ecthelion, and Orodreth captured (perhaps on a scouting mission together), having them come back and report on what is going on in Angband, revealing that Morgoth has already built up another huge army would be pretty jarring.

I like the idea of the ash and smoke spreading steadily southward. It's ominous and then the battle turns it around and is a great victory. And then we can do the exact opposite for the Nirnaeth (it's a beautiful day, everybody is optimistic they'll win and restart the siege, and then...)

Giving Ecthelion and Rog the same story would make them too similar. Just because we haven't yet designed a scene to introduce Ecthelion doesn't mean the character needs to turn into Rog#2. He can have his own separate story.

We're creative people. We can come up with something more appropriate for Ecthelion. Here's a suggestion: He's one of the scouts who the Noldor send out to explore Beleriand just after Maedhros gets rescued. He successfully does something impressive when just he and 1 other scout are outnumbered and surrounded by wargs or demon-lions. And maybe later he meets some semi-northern Sindar and although they can't talk to each other perfectly, he impresses them with his musical skills. Maybe he recommends Nevrast to Turgon. (If that isn't a viable idea, I'm sure we can still come up with something appropriate. Being instrumental in welcoming Sindar into Nevrast is a good possibility too.)

It doesn't look likely to me that Orodreth would be scouting personally with Turgon's folks. They don't live in the same lands, or serve the same lords. And I don't think Orodreth and Rog would need to be captured together to escape together. They could be captured separately during the Dagor Aglareb, or even during separate events. (Maybe the appearance that Dagor Aglareb is the beginning of the Noldor kicking butt forever would be diminished if Orodreth is captured during it, instead of some earlier engagement.)

Concerning what happens to Orodreth, please let's restrain it to being weakened, not compromised. That is, if he's captured, I'd rather that it's only be an explanation for the way he's unassertive in the books, not something to make him broken, or make him like Theoden.

Last edited:

Depending on "broken". If it's broken to the will of another (in a breaking a horse sort of way), then agreed. If it's broken into metaphorical pieces (in a coffee cup falling onto a concrete floor and breaking sort of way) then maybe not agreed?

Substitute "dominated" for "broken" and it's something I don't want for Orodreth. Substitute "irreparably traumatized" for "broken" and it might be something I want for Orodreth. Barely holding it together is how I imagine Orodreth.

I think your ideas for Ecthelion are fine Faelivrin, but I honestly disagree about the dangers of the captive-escape story idea. Just because Ecthelion and Rog experience something together, they don’t merge into identical people. On the contrary, showing them together makes it easy to paint their characters in different colours. Also, an escape becomes more believable if it’s a small group helped each other out.
Now we can probably give Ecthelion more than that, such as your ideas. The more the better.

@Haakon But Rog and Orodreth can escape with a few extras, they don't specifically need Ecthelion himself with them.

@amysrevenge Right, I meant dominated, under the control of a slave-master, lacking in full free will.
As to the other sense, I doubt anybody gets out of Angband mentally undamaged. Beren is relatively unharmed (mentally), but he wasn't a prisoner in Angband itself.

So what should the villains be doing this season? I’ve thrown around an idea or two about Sauron working on Orc experimentation and technological advancements and Gothmog being responsible for the release of Glaurung, but not much else has been said on the subject.

The villains begin the season in dismay. The sunlight is too much for them, so their forces are trapped under ground. They are rebuilding their severely depleted armies. Thorondor aids in the rescue of Maedhros, suggesting the Noldor have at least a little aid from the Valar. This is the 'licking their wounds' stage.

Probably early in the Season, Morgoth has some reason to suspect that the Second Children have arrived. He should go off himself in search of them, or send Sauron, with the goal of winning them over to worship of Morgoth. The villains adventures in Hildorien will be successful, but also likely will mostly happen off screen.

Morgoth will use dark clouds to allow his armies to move above ground, presaging the Dagor Aglareb (with an enthusiastic Gothmog). The troops are well supplied and numerous, but....prove to be no match for the elves. This will be the last time Morgoth fields an all-orc army, suggesting that Boldog is disgraced in this battle.

Meanwhile, Sauron is focused on capturing, torturing, and releasing elves. He wants information, and he wants elves in thrall to him to act as moles and so discord. While very few elves are so thoroughly broken as to become his puppets, the fear and distrust that that might be the case makes it difficult for escaped elves to re-integrate into elvish society.

Morgoth starts making dragons. This project is mostly secret/under wraps, but is revealed when Glaurung 'escapes' Angband and wrecks havoc on the elvish lands in the north.

That's what the villains are up to this season (for the most part).

Great!
One quibble: I suggest that the Spell of Bottomless Dread is Morgoth's personal work, but Sauron begins or initiates the Dragon project.

I was able to watch all of episode 1 today. (On YouTube but with no skipping or sound quality problems! Didn't have to reload the video even once!)

My hope (in addition to catching up on eps 2-3 as well) is to write ASAP a proposal for outlines of the first several episodes, that get the order of early events closer to the order they happen in the Grey Annals, but incorporating all the details of MithLuin's most recent outline.

For now I am beginning to have a concern about altering the timing of the Dagor Aglareb, building of Gondolin and Nargothrond, and banning of Quenya. I am not claiming it would be a disaster, and I don't dispute that Cory has a thematic storytelling reason for suggesting it, but: If they are switched around in the timeline, that may create a problem for how we tell the Gondolin and Nargothrond story.

(My understanding is Corey proposed/asked that the sequence be 1. Banning of Quenya, 2. Dagor Aglareb, 3. Visions from Ulmo, 4. Nargothrond and Gondolin built.)

Using the canon timeline, we would show them starting to build the cities, then occasionally show scenes of building spread out between other stories happening in multiple episodes, to show time passing. Showing the progress of the two cities would even be a useful tool to show time passing, without having to focus on it except at the starting and the finishing.

But if we change up the timeline, then all of the building is grouped together into a group of episodes in which... no other stories happen? So then we have episodes in which only the building Gondolin and Nargothrond happen? Would anything else be happening except rebuilding Eglarest and Brithombar, maybe one scene mysteriously alluding to creating Dragons? Then is the only way to show time to use the awkward “50 years later” sign on the bottom of the screen?

I don't know if telling it that way is going to flow well, or compellingly.

Last edited:
Here is my proposal, incorporating MithLuin’s proposals, but with some events in a different order. Not yet worked into this outline is the capture of Elves, the escape of some (‘Rog’ and Orodreth), the release of others under the Spell of Bottomless Dread, and the treason by said agents.

Edit: The short, abridged outline version is here.

Episode 1: Intersections and Intentions
Maglor hastily moves the Fëanorian camp out of Fingolfin’s way. The host of Fingolfin meet first Círdan and the Sindarin scouts, then the Fëanorians. The Host of Fingolfin sets camp on the north end of Lake Mithrim, while the Host of Fëanor is re-settles on the southern shore. On the one hand are people who barely tolerate each other and come very close to exchanging blows, but do want to exchange news. On the other hand is a real language barrier, which takes significant time to overcome (they are two entirely separate languages, which are not at all mutually intelligible, and can’t be overcome in one week.)

Fingolfin learns Fëanor is dead, but he and nearly everyone in his camp judges the sons the accomplices of their father. Fingolfin re-forges Ringil – is he planning to fight the Fëanorians, or Morgoth, or both? (“there was peril of war between the hosts.”) Fingon learns that Maedhros is missing. Meanwhile, the Fëanoreans are uncomfortable. They never thought to see again the Elves they betrayed, and they’re outnumbered. Maglor and many of the common folk do repent of abandoning Fingolfin’s people and burning the ships, but have no idea what to do about it. The Fëanoreans are stuck and Maglor is not a decisive leader.

While most of Fingolfin’s people slowly begin learning Sindarin, Finrod learns Sindarin absurdly fast, and becomes the official translator and diplomat for the other Noldor in Fingolfin’s camp. He also starts teaching Sindarin to his siblings and cousins. (For a scene idea see: https://forums.signumuniversity.org...on-4-episode-outlines.3019/page-11#post-22866)

Círdan is surprised and happy to learn that these Elves have come from Valinor and are the descendants of the Elves they said goodbye to long ago. The Sindar ask after Finwë and Olwë, and want to know how and why the Noldor have come back. The Noldor dissemble. Nobody mentions the Kinslaying to the Sindar, because some of Fingolfin’s host were party to it and they realize these people are akin to the Teleri – their language alone shows that. They claim they have come back to fight Morgoth, and everyone agrees that is a good thing.

Galadriel and Celeborn meet for the first time and have good impressions of each other, but in their first scene can only communicate via Finrod. Cirdan sends Annael to Doriath as a messenger, announcing that friends, Elves from Aman, have come and killed many Orcs and Werewolves, saving the Falathrim. He and his crew take their one ship (they only brought one) to Balar to tell the Falathrim the news (Celeborn goes with, or not?). Annael’s travels to and from Doriath on foot and by small boat take weeks, or a month. Thingol’s reaction is not shown.

The Noldor meet more Falathrim, who sail up Drengist in multiple ships to meet their saviors. As a season or two pass, the Noldor learn to speak Sindarin (at first simple but grammatically correct sentences, with no fancy words. not “me Tarzan, you Jane”). Celeborn and Galadriel have a getting-to-know-you conversation. She is young and impetuous, and he is older and more likely to keep his thoughts to himself, but there is the first spark of mutual respect and interest between them. Círdan learns that some of the Noldor are descendants of Olwë, and suggests that they should come to Doriath to meet the king (Elwë), their kin.

The Fëanorians and the much larger host of Fingolfin remain separated, uneasy, and on the edge of violence. After tersely exchanging news, they have not spoken again, and have defensive perimeters with guards. There is no attempt to unite the hosts against Morgoth. Fingon and Finrod both point out that Morgoth could attack them any day now, nobody knows how many Orcs he has left, and as long as the Noldor are divided they could all be killed. But nobody listens to their wisdom.

Angband scene: After the initial shock of the Sunrise and the obliteration of his army wears off, “Morgoth laughed at the division of his enemies” He starts preparing for war. Forges produce new weapons, and a vast cloud of smoke belches out to hide Angband and Dor Daedeloth from the Sun. It spreads ominously over Hithlum. Morgoth is putting on a false confidence (the Sun terrifies him!) but the Noldor are looking pretty pathetic. He can make new Orcs faster than they can make new Elves, and Fëanor is dead. His remaining monsters and Orcs start roving the land again, secretly scouting the new situation. (Morgoth’s preparations and cloud can be an ominous episode ending, if not the forging of Ringil or rescue of Maedhros.)

either Episode 1 or Episode 2 (end of 1 or start of 2)
Telchar makes Narsil? Eöl is reintroduced, already living in Nan Elmoth?

Watching the cloud hanging over the land, and realizing that Morgoth is preparing to assault the Noldor while they still won’t even speak to each other, Fingon thinks long and hard. He suffered terribly on the Helkaraxë and saw many people suffer and die horribly, but he is willing to forgive and try to rebuild the unity the Noldor once had. If they can’t do that, they will die. The cloud itself gives him an idea, and he departs with a harp and a bow. Without telling anybody.

Fingon reaches Thangorodrim and discovers where Maedhros is hanging out of reach. With the help of Thorondor, he manages to rescue his friend. A very weak, traumatized, and one-handed Maedhros is brought back to the camp. The rescue is an early demonstration of teamwork making people stronger – this would have been impossible without Thorondor’s help. (Fingon could do this at the end of Ep 1, or the start of Ep 2. I’m not sure where it would fit best. Ep 2 allows the tension between the Noldor a little more time, but then gives us less time to show the process of reconciliation.)

Episode 2: Diplomacy
The Noldor react with amazement and praise to Fingon’s deed. Fingolfin sends a messenger to the Fëanorian camp. The two camps of the Noldor begin trying to reconcile, but tensions continue. Maedhros is beginning to heal, which will take a while. His brothers are all quite sincerely glad to see him, and probably all of them are at least somewhat grateful to Fingon. (Although Caranthir or Celegorm rudely asks, “What, Fingon couldn’t manage to bring back all of him?”) Maedhros initially has no energy, let alone mental stability, to spare dealing with politics. He leaves Maglor to continue somewhat ineffectively as regent. Fortunately, Maglor is minded to take the opportunity for genuine reconciliation more than some of his brothers, although he insists that of course Maedhros will take up the Kingship once he’s healed.

The Noldor station permanent watchmen to keep an eye on Dor-Daedeloth and Thangorodrim. They send many scouts around Beleriand, Ard Galen, and Dorthonion. One of these scouting groups is led by Ecthelion, who encounters a pack of Werewolves or a pride of demon-lions. By this time Morgoth’s own scouts are out and about. Ecthelion and a couple of Noldorin scouts are surrounded, but Ecthelion is awesome and kills nearly half the monsters. Maybe later he meets some semi-northern Sindar and although they can't talk to each other perfectly, he impresses them with his musical skills.

With the reports of the scouts, the Noldor draw up maps showing what lands the they could settle, and the location of Angband – the Sindar provide information as well, although maybe they themselves never bothered with maps of their familiar lands. The Noldor (now speaking fluent Sindarin) try to present a united front to the Sindar, and meet many from the inland people. Finrod sends Angrod to Doriath as an official ambassador, with a Sinda guide (an extra, or Annael or Galathil). Finrod cautions Angrod to behave diplomatically and speak as little of the Fëanoreans as possible. Finrod and Angrod are both, for now, sincere about trying to reconcile and forgive Fëanorians. Galadriel is trying as well, but is less forgiving than Finrod. Turgon is having nothing of this forgiveness and reconciliation. (Perhaps the three of them disuss it.) Angrod starts journeying to Doriath.

(More conversation between Galadriel and Celeborn?)

Meanwhile in Angband, the villains are very much alarmed by Thorondor’s involvement in Maedhros’ rescue. Morgoth suspects that the Second Children have awoken.

Maedhros is slowly recuperating... physically. He gets out of bed, and begins taking control of his house, but he's severely traumatized and not ready to take full command. He insists that Maglor, as a mere regent, must not attempt to exert authority greater than Fingolfin. He points out the precarious situation their house is in – they are outnumbered and have done nothing to actually earn forgiveness for burning the ships. He begins learning to do mundane tasks one-handed, but is not yet strong enough to properly wield a sword.

In Doriath Thingol meets Angrod and welcomes him as kin, and asks about Valinor, Olwë, and Finwë. Angrod gives an extremely whitewashed, sanitized version of the story thus far. He tells of Morgoth’s chief wrong, the Darkening of Valinor, but avoids mentioning the Silmarils and skips over the entire rebellion of the Noldor. He does not go so far as to call the Noldor emissaries of the Valar, but paints them as coming to avenge the Trees, defeat Morgoth, and help the Sindar. He chooses not to mention Finwë’s murder, to avoid having to discuss the unresolved succession crisis. As an ambassador, Angrod needs to be able to say he represents all the Noldor, not a just faction of uncertain standing among their people. Angrod does tell Thingol of their numbers and “the ordering of their force”, their valiant deeds in the North against Morgoth’s Orcs, and Fëanor’s death by Balrogs. But he has decided to forgive the Fëanorians, be loyal to the Noldor, and protect kinslayers such as Fingolfin and Fingon – so he mentions no wrongdoing.

Thingol is less than satisfied with this tale, and concerned to learn of a new standing army in Beleriand (even if it is between him and Morgoth). He doesn’t welcome them with a full heart. He allows the Noldor can settle the northlands (with misgivings) but declares Doriath off-limit (except by invitation). He warns the Noldor not to steal inhabited Sindarin lands, a very reasonable request although he phrases it coldly. Angrod considers his diplomatic mission a success – he has established kinship and friendship with Thingol, and gained permission for the Noldor to settle the northlands.

either Episode 2 or Episode 3 (end of 2 or start of 3) :
Maedhros starts practicing with his sword left-handed, though he’s not 100% either physically or mentally. He returns the goods and livestock stolen from Fingolfin’s people (except what was burned), gives many rich gifts as well, and “begs forgiveness” for what his people did to Fingolfin’s people – even though he himself wasn’t guilty of burning the ships.

Angrod returns from Doriath to Mithrim, and speaks with his siblings. He describes how amazing the Thousand Caves are, and how majestic Thingol and Melian are. Finrod is pleased with how the mission went.

With Maedhros finally hale enough to attend a meeting and take full charge over his house (and over all the Noldor, his brothers hope), the Noldor hold a great council to determine their future. But when Angrod presents Thingol’s words to the gathered Noldorin leaders, most of them feel coldly unwelcomed. Maedhros says disparaging things about Thingol. Caranthir has an immediate and violent reaction. He denounces Angrod’s authority to speak for all the Noldor, and says even more disparaging things about Thingol and the entire House of Finarfin. Angrod storms out. Maedhros sternly rebukes Caranthir – not physically, but cows his brothers with hard words and very stern looks. He’s scary when he’s mad. He speaks more diplomatically to the council, dismissing both Caranthir’s concern and Thingol’s authority outside his own borders. Fingolfin intends to respect Thingol as the High King of Beleriand, and is in awe of a man who was chosen to marry a Maia.

The Noldor are left with a question of who will lead them now – are they destined to fracture apart? Many, even among the Fëanorian non-royals, are disquieted by Caranthir’s behavior and concerned by the prospect of Fëanorian leadership. Even if they were willing to forgive the sons of Fëanor so far as to accept Maedhros as High King, the Fëanorians look too hot-headed and undiplomatic to lead. Most prefer Fingolfin as King.

Episode 3: Crowning the High King
During a recess of the council, Maedhros gets his house in order. He rebukes Caranthir further for the unwise outburst, and explains how that cost them. They need the Host of Fingolfin if they are going to fight the armies of Angband, and he’s not going to let his brothers cost them that fragile alliance. Curufin has some things to say about Fingon and Angrod. Maedhros says that now that he’s back, he’s in charge, and they’ll obey him. His brothers are intimidated.

The Noldor conclude their convocation. It is expected that the Host of Fingolfin will select Fingolfin and the Host of Fëanor will select Maedhros and there will be a permanent split into two separate people. Maedhros surprises them all (including the audience) by declaring Fingolfin the heir of Finwë and thus ceding his own claim as his father’s heir. We show this scene from Fingolfin, Fingon, or Finrod’s perspective. Afterwards, our point-of-view character considers that none of the other sons of Fëanor looked surprised or said anything to oppose Maedhros’ abdication. The point-of-view character asks Maedhros (aside) “You planned this all out, didn’t you?” and he replies that he had to make it clear to his brothers he wouldn’t allow them to interfere. What exactly he said to them, and when, isn’t specified.

Fingolfin is acclaimed as High King by all the Noldor, and crowned in a very fancy, very pompous ceremony. Fingolfin privately decides that Fëanor’s reforged crown with the three Silmaril holes is fugly, and plans to re-reforge it back to resemble the crown Finwë wore.

Fingolfin gives the Noldor some kingly advice about establishing themselves in Beleriand and staying on good terms with the Sindar. Using the maps drawn out before, the Noldor decide where each house will settle. Finrod expresses a desire and excitement to explore all of Beleriand personally, not just vicariously through the scouts. He longs to visit Doriath and see the Thousand Caves himself. Maybe Ecthelion recommends Nevrast to Turgon.

Maedhros specifically chooses East Beleriand. This isolation isn’t ideal and it’s the hardest area to defend, but it’s necessary to reduce the chances of conflict between the houses. He promises to stay in touch so they can continue to coordinate. He says goodbye to Fingon before they go, and they have some meaningful conversation about the hand that was cut off and the rescue that was supposed to be a mercy killing. (Emotionally, Maedhros hasn't really recovered from his torment.)

Last edited:
Edited: adjusting Amras' trajectory a little, based on an idea from Corey

Episode 4: Places Set Apart
Galadriel goes to Doriath to become Melian’s pupil. Círdan returns to the havens.

The Fëanorians move into East Beleriand, where Eöl is outraged at his new neighbors. While the Fëanorians establish and begin building their castles in the present, we get to know what Eöl has been up to through long ‘flashbacks’ (for lack of a better word) as he discusses the injustice of this situation with his servants, and with his Dwarven visitors. He and his servants came to Nan Elmoth to get away from tiresome and arrogant people, not to meet new ones! Described in as much detail as you want to include, here: https://forums.signumuniversity.org...son-4-episode-outlines.3019/page-7#post-22670

Amras initially wants to live alone far from his brothers. Maedhros persuades him to live near him on Himring, but Amras is judgemental towards his brothers and keeps going on about their doom. He hates all his brothers except Maedhros.

(I do not want the Fëanorians wantonly murdering Dwarves, but if everyone else really wants to make up that sory, this is the only reasonable time to do it: before the Noldor meet any Dwarves at all. Which means we have to explain what Petty-Dwarves are doing at Himring, or Rerir, or Aglon.)

either Episode 4 or Episode 5:
“Of Beleriand and its Realms”. The Houses of Fingolfin and Finarfin establish towns and fortify Mithrim, Eithel Sirion, Nevrast, Vinyamar, and Dorthonion. They establish their courts and more formal long-lasting relations with the Sindar.

Finrod gets his wish to go exploring, and visits his sister in Doriath.

Many Sindar, mostly Falathrim but some from the inland peoples, move north to settle in Nevrast and Mithrim. Ecthelion and Glorfindel are instrumental in welcoming them to Nevrast? The remaining Falathrim set up a village of huts on the Isle of Balar – they aren’t sure it’s safe to return to their home shores yet.

Death of Norn?

Villain storyline: Morgoth is away from Angband for cryptic reasons, and Sauron has been left in charge. Orcs are multiplying, Gothmog and Boldog are building new armies. Skirmishes between Elves and Orcs continue to happen, but always at night. Sauron has a different job: sending doppleganger spies among the Noldor. Eavesdropping on conversations, they learn that the Noldor have done things they’re ashamed of, and that the houses have had a feud.

(Morgoth discovers Men in Hildórien, but finds that he can no longer shapeshift. Hiding his hideous, terrifying appearance from them, he considers how to enslave these insects.)

Episode 5: Mereth Aderthad
Turgon’s court hosts Fingolfin’s Feast of Reuniting in Nevrast. Attendees include: all of the houses of Fingolfin and Finarfin, Galadriel, Maedhros, Maglor, Noldorin extras from all three houses (not many Fëanorians), Beleg, Mablung, Daeron, Círdan, Celeborn, Annael, many Sindarin extras not from Doriath.

NOT attending are Thingol, Melian, Lúthien, Eöl, the other sons of Fëanor, nor any Dwarves (but maybe Amras attends, and is disappointed to find Maglor there?)

Daeron and Maglor singing contest? duet?

A ‘false peace’ exists, as the Sindar don’t know the truth about the Noldor, and the lack of significant activity from Angband makes some people consider the Sun to have conquered Morgoth’s Orcs. The Sindar are enamored of these wealthy, knowlegeable, skilled warriors who saved their civilization from immanent destruction.

Celeborn and Galadriel have a heart-to-heart while looking out over the Falathrin ships in the harbor. Galadriel reveals some of the darkness that is over the Noldor, but focuses on the personal tragedy of having lost her mother. She telepathically reveals an image of her holding her mother’s corpse, with the background blurred out. She does not reveal the Kinslaying, though she wavers. Celeborn is a good, sympathetic listener, and considerate towards her pain. Orodreth meets a lovely Sinda lady (Meril).

The Sindar inquire, again, for news from Olwë and Finwë, from the Valar. The Noldor give evasive answers or none at all. They say they don't want to talk much about the Darkening of Valinor because it was so awful (which it was).

Villain storyline: Sauron’s spies attend the Feast in disguise as ordinary Sindar – perhaps Thuringwethil, perhaps Sauron himself. From eavesdropping on side conversations they learn about the Kinslaying and rebellion.

Episode 5, 6, 7, or 8:
Amras is sick of Maglor visiting Himring all the time, and of not being listened to. He moves all the way to Amon Ereb, far away from all his brothers.

Episode 6: Questions
Morgoth returns to Angband and orders Sauron to go corrupt the Second Children.

Galadriel tells Melian the rest of the Darkening of Valinor – that Morgoth murdered Finwë and stole Fëanor’s Silmarils, the last trace of the light of the Trees. Out of pride, or shame, or to protect Fingolfin and Fingon, she does not say a word about the Kinslaying, even when pressed by Melian. But she hints obliquely at the rebellion (of which she isn’t ashamed!)

Melian shares the pertinent parts of this with Thingol, who is bothered, but does not think it too serious to continue on in friendship with the Noldor (who after all have a common enemy).

Orodreth marries Meril in Dorthonion. Attending are all of Meril’s family, and all of the House of Finarfin (and Eldalotë’s parents, if they’re alive and in Middle-earth. (Galadriel and Celeborn declare their love?)

Some Sindar are questioning the gaps in the official Noldorin story, and realize they’re behaving like people who have something to hide. Speculation, and rumors of crimes committed in Valinor, begin.

either Episode 6 or Episode 7:
Rumors about the arrival of the Noldor spread through the Sindar. The rumors are even worse than the truth: all the Noldor are guilty of Kinslaying the Teleri and each other, they hate the Valar, they burned the stolen Telerin ships out of spite, etc... (We show somehow that demon dopplegangers are starting the rumors.)

Not yet knowing these rumors, Celeborn tells Thingol about his niece Eärwen’s death. For now Thingol thinks Eärwen died in the Darkening... but later this bit of news will feed the rumors and his rage at the Noldor.

Celeborn and Galadriel plight their troth (or declare their love to each other). Galadriel wants to meet Celeborn’s parents and family.

Finrod and brothers visit Galadriel. She asks him why he won’t marry. Finrod flashes back to a memory of Amárië. He makes his statement about never marrying, and an oath he will one day swear, and foretells his own death. (Either during a separate visit after Orodreth’s marriage, or during the visit in Episode 7. Or even wait until Episode 10.)

Episode 7: The Truth Will Out
Sauron returns from Hildórien and debriefs?

The rumors reach an explosive head. Círdan, believing the Noldorin houses are spreading rumors about each other out of jealousy, brings them to Thingol’s attention. Thingol believes the tales that the Noldor murdered Olwë and all his family, and plan to steal the Sindar’s homes. It just so happens that Finarfin’s sons are in Doriath. When Thingol confronts Angrod about his less-than-full tale of the flight of the Noldor, Angrod angrily accuses the Fëanorians of Kinslaying and burning the ships, and speaks of the rebellion and Helkaraxë. He feels no more obligation to protect the Fëanoreans from the truth of their own misdeeds. Thingol angrily and shrewdly asks Angrod whether the houses of Fingolfin and Finarfin are truly innocent of this bloodshed – can Angrod swear to it? Angrod can’t bring himself to make a bold-faced lie, even to defend Fingolfin and Fingon, perhaps realizing that Thingol and Melian will catch his lie. (He looks in Melian’s stern face and knows he can’t fool her?)

Thingol bans the speaking of Quenya and wearing any jewels except pearls, saying that those who do so are betrayers of kin and Kinslayers unrepentant. He sends the sons of Finarfin away, but not forever. Círdan and Thingol mourn the death of Olwë.

The sons of Finarfin discuss what happened. Angrod is sorry for the trouble his outburst will cause, but not sorry for the Fëanorians. Finrod still believes that reconciliation and unity are too important to squander.

Fingolfin as High King accepts the terms of the ban. He finds it more important to keep peace with their new neighbors than to protect their own culture. He’s fine with speaking Sindarin and who needs to wear jewels, anyway? The Noldor continue to speak Quenya only in private, amongst themselves.

The Fëanorians are furious. Somebody ratted them out, and Caranthir correctly guesses Angrod is to blame. The Fëanorians (except Maedhros) become increasingly sour about cooperating with the other two houses.

In Angband, Morgoth laughs.

Episode 8: Dagor Aglareb
Finrod begins establishing Minas Tirith on Tol Sirion.

Earthquakes. Thangorodrim and the Iron Mountains spew clouds of ash that ominously spread out over the northlands. Ashfall on Ard-galen, Hithlum, and the Marches of Maedhros.

Morgoth and Gothmog unleash a large army of Orcs on the north. All the good guys must put aside their differences to unite against the assault. Forgiveness so they can work together to protect their lands is wise.

Fingolfin, Fingon, Finrod, and Maedhros set up the Siege of Angband. Council of the Noldor at Eithel Sirion (or Minas Tirith?) to discuss strategy, at which Fingolfin proudly boasts that Morgoth will never break their siege. (Maedhros is the only Fëanorian attending the council.)

Morgoth is dismayed... but doesn’t react like somebody who has lost a war. (Sauron works on developing better armor and weapons?)

Episode 9: Portents
Minas Tirith is complete. Finrod and Turgon travel down the Sirion to the Meres of Twilight. They receive dream messages from Ulmo warning that the peace will not last.

Sauron returns from Hildórien and debriefs?

Finrod visits Galadriel in Menegroth and seeks Thingol’s help, telling him of his dreams. Thingol tells him about the caves of Narog, saying the Dwarves have spoken of that place. Thingol sets up a meeting with the Dwarves to aid Finrod.

Ulmo shows Turgon the vale of Tumladen.

Episode 10: Accord and Separation
The Petty-dwarves are driven out of Nulukkizdin by Dwarves of Eryd Luin, who lie to Finrod. They represent Nulukkizdin as a place that they themselves have abandoned and freely give away. Finrod does not know about the Petty-Dwarves, and trusts his new friends to be honest. (he doesn’t mind-read them, or if he does they block him)

Turgon’s people begin building Gondolin in secret. (Aredhel stays behind with Idril in Nevrast?) Turgon insists on absolute secrecy. He wants to be away from the other Noldor, partly to avoid having to even interact with Fëanorians.

Caranthir meets the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains. He initially insults them over their “unloveliness”, and they decide to trade with Celegorm and Curufin instead. Curufin and takes an interest in trying to learn Khuzdul, although the Dwarves are reluctant to teach their language to outsiders. Celebrimbor befriends several Dwarves, exchanges various crafting techniques, and is happy. (Fëanorians learn to make mail?)

Amras is anti-social on Amon Ereb.

A company of Orcs sneak the long way around Hithlum, come up the Firth of Drengist, and ambush the Noldor in Mithrim. Their assault fails, but the Noldor misinterpret their victory as a sign of Morgoth’s weakness. In reality, he’s merely testing them. Boldog is disgraced. Morgoth gives Sauron a new, mysterious job (cryptic references to creating Dragons, but nothing that could spoil the surprise).

Episode 11: Hewer of Caves
Finrod, Noldor, and [handsomely paid] Dwarves work on building Nargothrond. Finrod personally carves many of the stone pillars and walls with scenes of Valinor. Dwarves name him ‘Felagund’. Finrod’s people purchase mail armor as well. Young Zirak has heard the Noldor love jewelry and offers to craft some of Felagund’s unworked treasure into something beautiful, but Finrod respects Thingol’s ban on wearing jewels and has no desire to alienate the Sindar.

Turgon’s people continue building Gondolin in secret.

Círdan rebuilds the Havens with the help of the Noldor from the House of Finarfin, who fortify them. Finrod builds Barad Nimras to guard the sea. Círdan expresses his desire to continue to work with them and help them in their times of need despite the Kinslaying. He does not want to do Morgoth’s work for him.

Amras tries to sabotage Curufin and Celegorm’s trade with the Dwarves by forbidding them from travelling through the lands he has claimed.

Episode 12: The Hidden City
50 years later:

Turgon secretly moves all of his people, and all the Sindar in Nevrast, to Tumladen. He completes Gondolin with images of the Two Trees which he has made himself. Turgon establishes from the start the absolute secrecy rules, that nobody can leave, etc. Aredhel already disagrees with this.

Galadriel marries Celeborn. The ceremony is attended by her brothers and Fingolfin; and by Celeborn’s father Galadhon, mother, and brother Galathil (and a sister?). (and Orodreth?)

Nargothrond is complete. Young Zirak presents Finrod Felagund with beautiful lamps designed to light his new home, of the same kind that light Menegroth. Finrod moves in, leaving Orodreth in charge of Minas Tirith.

The Dwarves have moved their trade-road further north and established trade with Caranthir. Celegorm, Curufin, and Amras are disgruntled, while Caranthir has become very, very rich.

Villains make a cryptic reference to Men.

Episode 13: The Golden One
Young Glaurung escapes Angband and devastates the north (particularly Ard-galen). The Elves are shocked. Angrod and Aegnor fall back to Dorthonion. Fingon fights Glaurung back to Angband with horsed archers, winning great praise. Few Elves realize what a bad sign this is.

Turgon stays safely in Gondolin and does not fight.

Thingol stays safely in Doriath and does not fight.

Telchar makes her last work – the Dragon-Helm – and gifts it to Azaghâl.

Last edited:
So why would Thingol and Luthien not attend? And how does Luthien herself fit into all of this? It would be rather rude for one of the greatest Elven kings to not attend a feast to unite all the Elves under one cause, and Luthien can’t just be hanging around until Beren arrives in Doriath.

It is rather rude! I think it reflects more on Thingol's racial prejudice and (not yet justified) resentment of the Noldor, who are behaving themselves so far. We know he's going to be a racist jerk to the Mortals, for no apparent reason.

As for Luthien, my only suggestion so far is that Thingol forbids her from going (to keep her safe from strange men?), and she's willing to obey him.

I like how the building of cities and fortresses happens much in the background and we get our minor skirmishes to see some action too.I also like the way we get to see some hints aboutbwhat happens in hildorien, but yet it still leaves a lot open and unclear and we do not complezely get a picture.

I have a few ideas in my mind from reading your draft...

If it wasn't too close to game of thrones i'd propose the dwarves to make maedhros a hand of metal.

Could "Rog" eventually be a name that is guven by the orcs at angband to their prisoner?

I also wonder if , when we show the feanorians setting up siehe camp at ard galen discover some wild horses, perhaps akin to the mearas?, and we hint at them breeding horses from their own and indigenious races from middle earth

Would the feanorians, when they kill the petty dwarves willingly,maybe frame the sindar?To estrange sindarin elves and dwarves perhaps?

About the dragons, maybe we could show morgoth or sauron stroking a demonic serpent, which could grow bigger and somehow imply that the creature would evolve into Glaurung? (Or would that be too much like blofeld and his cat?)

Last edited:
If it wasn't too close to game of thrones i'd propose the dwarves to make maedhros a hand of metal.
I was going to ask, should he have a wooden hand. Curufin could probably make a very convincing-looking (but non mobile) hand of wood and leather, with nails of horn. Their mom could make statues that Elves mistook for people... I am a little bit concerned the audience could mistakenly think Elves can grow back body parts, if it looks too realistic.

Could "Rog" eventually be a name that is guven by the orcs at angband to their prisoner?
That's an idea. He wouldn't use it himself, of course, but it would be a way to reference his Lost Tales name. I also like the wild horses idea. Ard-galen, Lothlann, and Beleriand would logically be full of wild horses, since humans haven't exterminated them all like in the real world.

Back