Session 4.06 - Overarching Storylines, Continued

Beor was 48 years old when he came to Beleriand, he would have been the great-grandchild or great-great-grandchild of one of the firstborn.he easily is 4th or 5th generation i think, as the edain seem to have an average lifespan of ca. 80.Does Morgoth meet the firstborn or already the secondborn?
Depends on when he leaves for Hildorien and how fast he can travel.

The very first generation, I would think.

Even when Tolkien said Morgoth was involved personally, he specified that Morgoth returned in time for the Dagor Aglareb.

Wouldn't apparating/teleporting require going unclad? But regardless, I think Morgoth can go fast enough on foot that we don't have to worry about his travel times.* He's a god.

*as long as there's no surfing

I think even if its more than 7000 km ( like from rejkjavil iceland to kuwait city) Morgoth could well make more than 100 km a day and be there in one or one and a half months.same for Sauron/Fankil i guess.. How long does he stay?

Given what we have about early humans it's like were dealing with Beors father here, 1 generation, Morgoth/Sauron have 60 years time before the Dagor Aglareb to make this generation fall, and after the battle they can return for another 200+ years to finish the job

Last edited:
I think even if its more than 7000 km ( like from rejkjavil iceland to kuwait city) Morgoth could well make more than 100 km a day and be there in one or one and a half months.same for Sauron/Fankil i guess.. How long does he stay?

Given what we have about early humans it's like were dealing with Beors father here, 1 generation, Morgoth/Sauron have 60 years time before the Dagor Aglareb to make this generation fall, and after the battle they can return for another 200+ years to finish the job
Who’s Fankil?

In lost tales a servant of melko whom he sends to the east to corrupt men.

In silmfilm we would most likely use Sauron instead if we don't use Morgoth himself.

This past Friday's podcast was Session 5. The next Session, which will be held on January 11, 2019 and focus on the topics listed in the opening post of this thread, will be Session 6.

It was my intention to make a Session 7 thread *after* the conclusion of Session 6.

The Silm Film Project will resume in the New Year on January 11th with Session 4.06, to discuss the following topics:

The Dwarves and the Petty-dwarves
Eöl
: What has he been doing since Cuiviénen? His role in Season 4?
Recall that the Petty-dwarves have not yet been introduced in this project. There may be a vague allusion to them living in the caves on the river Narog and the Sindar avoiding the area in Season 3, but that is it.

We did discuss the Petty-dwarves in Season 2, and decided that we want them to be regular dwarves who are in exile from the great dwarf kingdoms. They are poor and ragged and potentially criminals, but not a different race altogether from dwarves. We will need Mîm to end up on Amon Rudh for Túrin's story, but other than that, our use of the Petty-dwarves is open.

Eöl was last seen storming out of the Great Debate at Cuivienen early in Season 2, and is thus one of the Avari. We will want to make sure he is in Nan Elmoth this season, and we will want to establish his friendship with dwarves. We should show his swords. Thematically, he should be an example of someone who chooses isolation rather than reconciliation.

What did we determine about the ability of the Valar to get about back in S1?

I think the contention was that any travel we didn't show was presumed to be via bunnysled :p

But no, in all seriousness, the Valar *can* travel in ways that are not available to Elves, Men, or Dwarves.

Last edited:
The Silm Film Project will resume in the New Year on January 11th with Session 4.06, to discuss the following topics:

The Dwarves and the Petty-dwarves
Eöl
: What has he been doing since Cuiviénen? His role in Season 4?​

I think the contention was that any travel we didn't show was presumed to be via bunnysled :p

But no, in all seriousness, the Valar *can* travel in ways that are not available to Elves, Men, or Dwarves.
I’m not well-versed enough with Dwarves to say much apart from Eol treats with the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains (do we have anyone amongst the current Dwarves who are of that area?), but Eol would take a hard-line stance against the Noldor because he blames them for Morgoth’s return and doesn’t want them around.

I’m afraid I won’t be of much help here, this is an area of The Silmarillion I don’t know very well.

Well, to be fair, we have to make up a lot of this!

The Petty-dwarves have to be evicted from their caves before Finrod builds Nargothrond. Who will evict them? Finrod himself, Thingol/Sindar, or Dwarves from the Blue Mountains [with or without] Thingol's direction/urging?

The Dwarves and Petty-dwarves will not reconcile...or will they? Will *any* of the Petty Dwarves be welcomed home to the dwarf kingdoms of Belegost or Nogrod? Do the Dwarves feel protective of the Petty-dwarves when it comes to outsiders, but shun them themselves? What is their attitude there?

Anyway, most of this is *not* brought up in the published Silmarillion, as the Petty-dwarves are mostly only mentioned briefly at this point in the story.

Well, to be fair, we have to make up a lot of this!

The Petty-dwarves have to be evicted from their caves before Finrod builds Nargothrond. Who will evict them? Finrod himself, Thingol/Sindar, or Dwarves from the Blue Mountains [with or without] Thingol's direction/urging?

The Dwarves and Petty-dwarves will not reconcile...or will they? Will *any* of the Petty Dwarves be welcomed home to the dwarf kingdoms of Belegost or Nogrod? Do the Dwarves feel protective of the Petty-dwarves when it comes to outsiders, but shun them themselves? What is their attitude there?

Anyway, most of this is *not* brought up in the published Silmarillion, as the Petty-dwarves are mostly only mentioned briefly at this point in the story.
The Sindar, not knowing what they are, mistake the Petty-Dwarves for animals, and hunt them. It’s when contact is established with Nogrod and Belegost that the term “Petty-Dwarves” is coined for them. I don’t know how bad we want the Noldor to look regarding the Petty-Dwarves.

Here's a thing I don't remember (my bad if it's clear somewhere but I don't remember it if it is). Eol. What's up with that guy? More specifically, why come West now? It would be worthwhile probably for someone more familiar with what material is in our archives, to remind all of us about what we decided his arguments were back in S2 before there were Eldar and Avari.

Back