Session 4.11 - Season 4 Episode Outlines (Revisited)

Something that’s been at the back of my mind since it was decided that Morgoth should be mostly offscreen this season: if he’s not doing the Spell of Bottomless Dread, is Sauron, since Morgoth won’t be in back in time for the Dagor Aglareb?

Oh that's a problem. It probably means we have to do without the Bottomless Dread this season.
Did the Hosts fail to accommodate that? For the Bottomless Dread to be implemented this season, Morgoth will need to be back before the Dagor Aglareb.

Can't. Has to be Morgoth. Sauron can seduce, but only Morgoth can flat-out dominate.
The Hosts have opened a plot hole for us with having Morgoth be absent for most of this season. There's a reason why Sauron was called "the Deceiver", not "the Dominator"; he could deceive and wanted to dominate, but didn't have the power to.

The Hosts have opened a plot hole for us with having Morgoth be absent for most of this season. There's a reason why Sauron was called "the Deceiver", not "the Dominator"; he could deceive and wanted to dominate, but didn't have the power to.

And we will have to discuss that with them on Friday.

So Corey is going to address the dragon issue next session. He doesn’t like the baby Glaurung idea (fair enough!) and doesn’t seem keen on the long arch at all. So what have we got?

Either:
Solution one: After M returns and finds out about the Dagor A, he strikes a deal with a power hungry spirit and develops a dragon rather quickly.
Solution two: When M returns from the East, he brings Glaurung with him. So, the dragon has been developed in the East.

Honestly I like the idea of the dragon being developed in the East while Morgoth is gone. Not sure how we explain anything or avoid revealing it instantly, though. The maia-that-will-become-Glauring could accompany Morgoth into the east,and so be introduced in Episode 1-2.

Morgoth can hit Edhellos with the Spell of Bottomless Dread when he gets back, and her treachery can be part of the season finale rather than the Dagor Aglareb. Sauron can still make her captive earlier.

Last edited:
Do we have to explain that Glaurung is a Maia at all? I mean.. it is not relly explained anywhere in the silm..

Honestly I like the idea of the dragon being developed in the East while Morgoth is gone. Not sure how we explain anything or avoid revealing it instantly, though. The maia-that-will-become-Glauring could accompany Morgoth into the east,and so be introduced in Episode 1-2.

Morgoth can hit Edhellos with the Spell of Bottomless Dread when he gets back, and her treachery can be part of the season finale rather than the Dagor Aglareb. Sauron can still make her captive earlier.
How do we integrate her treachery into something like Glaurung?

Do we have to explain that Glaurung is a Maia at all? I mean.. it is not relly explained anywhere in the silm..

If all you read is the Silmarillion, that is pretty much the only available conclusion. I'm not sure how us saying that Glaurung's spirit is one of a magical, immortal being destroys his mythic qualities. Not everything has to be a mystery to be a myth.

Sure, but what does it actually ADD to the story if we make up more of a background for him than...well Tolkien himself actually did? I still don't under stand that strong drive to tell so much about Glaurung before he is finally finished..

We want the audience to be anticipating 'What is Morgoth up to?' So, we have to throw them a few bones. If he just vanishes for 10 episodes and no one talks about him, that....doesn't make for much of a story.

So, we could have Sauron pay him a 'visit' in the East (ie, spy on him), and we could show him taking a Maia with him in an ominous 'I have a job for you' kind of way. Or we could just have those left behind in Angband talk about him and what he's up to. But there should be some reason for the audience to be thinking, 'What's Morgoth doing? What's going to happen when he comes back?' and not just...'Oh, hey, Morgoth, I almost forgot he was in this show.'

How do we integrate her treachery into something like Glaurung?

We intended to have her open a gate from the inside, or prevent an alarm from being sounded, something like that.

We want the audience to be anticipating 'What is Morgoth up to?' So, we have to throw them a few bones. If he just vanishes for 10 episodes and no one talks about him, that....doesn't make for much of a story.

So, we could have Sauron pay him a 'visit' in the East (ie, spy on him), and we could show him taking a Maia with him in an ominous 'I have a job for you' kind of way. Or we could just have those left behind in Angband talk about him and what he's up to. But there should be some reason for the audience to be thinking, 'What's Morgoth doing? What's going to happen when he comes back?' and not just...'Oh, hey, Morgoth, I almost forgot he was in this show.'

We intended to have her open a gate from the inside, or prevent an alarm from being sounded, something like that.
Well... isn't that the thing about Glaurung? That he just shows up out of nowhere to the audience and to the Elves?

I've suggested having those left in Angband, particularly Gothmog, wondering what Morgoth is up to.

Back