Session 4.13 - First 'Creative Content' Session for Season 4

In terms of music commissions, I have been thinking about the Mereth Aderthad and how to approach it. Being a feast and there probably being dancing I had in mind an 18th century ball and baroque style music. On the other hand we may want to set the tone for other feasts that will happen and introduce the mystery of faery which we have not really done up to this point. We are still in epic storytelling mode. I could do something along the etherial and mysterious mode with the music.

Hey, what do I care? The time I have to wait until sessions are released on itunes means that I am 2 sessions behind. I get to the recording when I get to it.
In the meantime I'll just keep posting suggestions.

Okay, sounds good.

So, what I think I will plan to do for Session 4.14 is to have them talk about Episode 3 and 4 first, and then if there is time, they can do a 'bonus' slide on, say, the language question...and then that will segue into Session 4.15 being the next creative session, which we can start with 'commission' questions and move on to whatever topics people suggest for that.

Sound like a good plan?

I remember when the hosts first talked about the creative sessions they wanted to have first say on the tone of many aspects, so in addition to what you have planned and what people have contributed you may want to suggest some topics that may be relevant such as new characters who have not been cast, changes in costuming during the siege, any new monsters or the feel of any scenes or events such as time of day/night or weather, light levels, decorations. That way the creative types can get inspired when there is a specific direction for a request from the hosts.
You are probably doing all that already.

I have a suggestion for a topic.
I have always found the "magic" swords in Tolkien's works a little frustrating. They clearly have magic but how are they special and in what way? I was inspired by the examination of the hobbit's swords from the barrow in Exploring LOTR. Corey really got into their intent from the smith who crafted them and I look forward to using that info later down the track in SilmFilm. We should take this to all the special swords that will be forged this season. What is it exactly that they have been imbued with and what is their power? How are they more than a hunk of metal? Of couse this needs to be portrayed subtley and can be found out over the course of the item's life not just given in exposition when they are made. We at least should know their intents from the beginning and the audience can work it out as time goes on.

Okay, I will add 'magic swords' to the list for next time!

Any new suggestions can go in the new thread:
https://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/session-4-15-creative-content-part-2.3244/

As a follow-up to the language question...

The Hosts agreed that the show Vikings handled this very well, so for scenes where people don't understand one another, they are fine with using subtitles of Tolkien's languages.

However, for the scenes where people do understand, it's mostly just English. And the elves learn each others' languages quickly. How will we convey to the audience which language the characters are meant to be speaking? IE, how will they know if someone is using Quenya after the Ban? Or if Eöl is speaking Khuzdul to a dwarf, how will we convey that Eöl has learned the dwarf language rather than the dwarf learning an elf language? Etc.

Okay, I will add 'magic swords' to the list for next time!

Any new suggestions can go in the new thread:
https://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/session-4-15-creative-content-part-2.3244/

As a follow-up to the language question...

The Hosts agreed that the show Vikings handled this very well, so for scenes where people don't understand one another, they are fine with using subtitles of Tolkien's languages.

However, for the scenes where people do understand, it's mostly just English. And the elves learn each others' languages quickly. How will we convey to the audience which language the characters are meant to be speaking? IE, how will they know if someone is using Quenya after the Ban? Or if Eöl is speaking Khuzdul to a dwarf, how will we convey that Eöl has learned the dwarf language rather than the dwarf learning an elf language? Etc.

Khuzdul language: Have Eöl speaking Khuzdul and it's translated into English. Does anybody know Khuzdul to write out Eöl's dialogue?

While we certainly could keep Khuzdul (or, rather, made-up neo-Khuzdul) for dwarvish dialogue, that wasn't the question. IF we are going to use English for scenes where everyone understands each other (which has been the consensus thus far), then how will we indicate which of Tolkien's languages the English is meant to represent?

Certainly, we can come up with reasons for characters to comment on it. But....it will sound weird if we hear a dwarf compliment Eöl 'you speak our language very well' or something...and they're both just speaking English. Or, how do we indicate that some of the Fëanoreans continue to use Quenya 'amongst themselves' after the Ban, if it's just a scene of Celegorm and Curufin speaking to one another in English?

We could have a scene where someone switches to maybe Sindarin, Quenya or Khuzdul for a sentence or two and then another character says "you speak our tongue well." The main example I can think of is in the Star Trek: The Next Generation "The Mind's Eye" when Picard is having an argument with Vagh, a Klingon governor. Vagh calls Picard someone who speaks with the lies of a taHqeq (all talk and no action). Picard responds with an expletive in Klingonese "Vagh ghay’cha’ baQa". Vagh replies "You swear well, Picard. You must have Klingon blood in your veins."

We could have a scene where someone switches to maybe Sindarin, Quenya or Khuzdul for a sentence or two and then another character says "you speak our tongue well." The main example I can think of is in the Star Trek: The Next Generation "The Mind's Eye" when Picard is having an argument with Vagh, a Klingon governor. Vagh calls Picard someone who speaks with the lies of a taHqeq (all talk and no action). Picard responds with an expletive in Klingonese "Vagh ghay’cha’ baQa". Vagh replies "You swear well, Picard. You must have Klingon blood in your veins."

There are definitely opportunities for lines like that in the scenes we will have.

Back