Session 4.15 - Creative Content Part 2

Corey Olsen was speaking about how the elves (particularly the Vanyar and the Noldor) would love the interplay of words themselves, so a 'spoken word' emphasis in their songs. He's also apparently doing a talk about Eminem at Mythmoot, so more on that topic then/there.

He was not talking about the antagonism/insults associated with 'rap battles' but with the love of words, for the record.

Also for the record, here is a video of me on facebook performing a rap battle between Finrod and Sauron (I was Finrod, so I lost, badly :p)
[It's posted in a closed group and isn't my video, so that might make it unviewable to everyone, sorry.]

Ok I see, so that sounds like old Norse improvised poetry, it’s a feature in old sagas - especially Gunnlaug Wormtounge’s saga. It was considered a very important skill, apparently, during the time of the Vikings. I can see that being done by elves.

Right - elven flyting.

But again...the emphasis isn't on exchanging insults, but on showing off one's verbal dexterity.

Haerangil, there were many suggestions of areas you could draw maps of, so hopefully you will be interested in some of them! But of course they are suggestions/ideas, not demands.

And for the costumers...elven rain gear came up! They would like for the Noldor to design clothing that looks interesting when wet, and for the Sindar to have the more practical water-repellent clothing. Do with that what you will ;)

Magic Swords, Shields, and Maedhros' stump will be tabled until a later session, as will the size of Thorondor.

Session 4-16 will focus on Episodes 5-6, and Session 4-17 will be our next 'Creative Content' session. We can return to casting questions then, if people would like, or any other suggestions for topics people have. People can continue discussing creative content in this thread until the 4-17 thread is posted.

Last edited:
Haerangil, there were many suggestions of areas you could draw maps of, so hopefully you will be interested in some of them! But of course they are suggestions/ideas, not demands.

And for the costumers...elven rain gear came up! They would like for the Noldor to design clothing that looks interesting when wet, and for the Sindar to have the more practical water-repellent clothing. Do with that what you will ;)

Magic Swords, Shields, and Maedhros' stump will be tabled until a later session, as will the size of Thorondor.

Session 4-16 will focus on Episodes 5-6, and Session 4-17 will be our next 'Creative Content' session. We can return to casting questions then, if people would like, or any other suggestions for topics people have. People can continue discussing creative content in this thread until the 4-17 thread is posted.
I'd like to get a start on casting profiles: Age range, hair color, height, special abilities (singing). @MithLuin developed something like that for Idril a while back (see that thread for details).

Or am I thinking too far ahead?

Sure... give me the list as i was not yet able to listed to the podcast and i am not sure if i find time next week, but I'll do the best i can...

Himring sticks out to me. They also had suggestions about Mithrim which I took to be some suggestion of there being some urban sprawl. Like those big medieval cities which outgrew their wards and would throw up a new curtain around additional buildings.

Names: For original characters we plan to introduce, what should their names be, i.e. Celeborn's sister, Orodreth's wife (we're aiming towards naming her Meril) and Bard's wife?

So the Hella/Una/Ingrid name suggestions are for Bard's wife? Not sure about those suggestions, they sound a bit modern to me. Ingrid is quite a common name in Sweden. Una/Oonah sounds...well, modern, for lack of better words. Hella could maybe work. It is a variant of Helga, which would not work, but perhaps we could ignore that.

I suggest the Anglo Saxon name Brona. It just means brown haired I believe. It's simple, and goes well with Bard: Bard and Brona. What a couple. :)

Yes, today's session focused on Magic Swords, Maedhros' stump, and Eagles.

The Casting discussion will be saved for the next Creative Session (so, 4-19).

I am against anglo-saxon names, i would prefer old norse...

Eddic names i like...Atla, Asla, Aud, Bestla, Ima, Sigun, Saga, Widís...

I can see reasons to avoid Anglo-Saxon names. I feel that some of them are too associated with aspects of our own world (of older days of course), notably specific Christian stuff. But culturally I find them relevant. I think Brona as a name is pretty inconspicuous and would work well. But fair enough, a name like Widis is fine, I like that.

It's mor an in-world issue to me...

Anglo-saxon is deeply associated with the Rohirrim, beornings and hobbits... the the dwarves and the whole region 8f erebor is more connected to eddic names.

Ok. That’s a good rule of thumb. But the Lake-men and the men of Dale were related to the Rohirrim, although they were distinct groups. And I don’t find all names of the men of Dale to have a Nordic touch. Girion for example is hardly that.
But as I said, Widis would be fine.

Last edited:
Back