Session 4.16 - Episodes 5 and 6

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Session 4.16 will be held on Friday May 31st. The focus will be on the Mereth Aderthad (Episode 5) and Sauron's rumors (Episode 6).

Gantt chart for reference:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...j3TpG3Bnt1hPqHBaGL17TB0Y8/edit#gid=1115838130

Some things to consider....
Episode 5
Who is attending the Feast?
What key events happen over the course of this event (suggested that it be at least a few weeks long, so not a single weekend party)?
What are the Noldor/Sindar interactions like?
Why Vinyamar?

Episode 6
We should probably figure out if we're starting the catch-and-release program and how that relates to the rumor-spreading, if at all.
How does Círdan eventually learn the key detail that the Noldor burned the ships?
Dwarf/Fëanorean encounter?

Events:
Galadriel confesses to Celeborn.
Sauron learns of a secret the Noldor are hiding.
Tests of skill: archery? Fencing? Stone-chucking (shot-put)?

Attendance:
Luthien has been suggested by the Hosts, they do not want to portray Thingol as an overprotective dad quite yet.
Sauron is attending; there has been a suggestion he changes his appearance throughout the Mereth Aderthad to sow discord between the Noldor and Sindar and eavesdrop.

Really, most everyone is up for grabs to attend except for Eol.

Vinyamar: We have Turgon inviting Sindar to live in his area, neutral ground?

Episode 6: Rumors flit around the Sindar/Noldor realms of what the Noldor have done; The House of Finarfin may come under fire?

To add to the post above, how much hearsay will Sauron and Thuringwethil need to sow seeds of discord amongst the Noldor and Sindar?

Yes we will need a couple of scenes of Sauron and Thurnigwethil listening, nudging conversations by "Just Asking Questions", etc. At least once we will need to see Sauron flow from Sindar garb to Noldor garb to demonstrate how it happens.

I do want to make sure we use the Feast as an opportunity to show off Nevrast, and Vinyamar in particular. It would be nice to see the origins of Turgon's court and some of his later attitudes beginning to develop during the Feast.

But also this might be the time to show Orodreth meeting a Sinda lady and falling in love with her. If we do that, it would be as part of other scenes - they are both competing in athletic contests or singing and dancing together or any of the other background activities we were talking about. And their story should probably be a rather uncomplicated meet-cute, fall in love situation, to contrast with Celeborn and Galadriel's more complicated, so....let's talk about depression and loss and death and secrets.

I do want to make sure we use the Feast as an opportunity to show off Nevrast, and Vinyamar in particular. It would be nice to see the origins of Turgon's court and some of his later attitudes beginning to develop during the Feast.

But also this might be the time to show Orodreth meeting a Sinda lady and falling in love with her. If we do that, it would be as part of other scenes - they are both competing in athletic contests or singing and dancing together or any of the other background activities we were talking about. And their story should probably be a rather uncomplicated meet-cute, fall in love situation, to contrast with Celeborn and Galadriel's more complicated, so....let's talk about depression and loss and death and secrets.
I forgot about Orodreth and his Sinda lady. Should we decide on a name for her?

Mereth Aderthad Invitation List:

Fingolfin
Fingon
Turgon
Aredhel
Idril
Glorfindel
Ecthelion

Finrod
Angrod
Aegnor
Orodreth
Eldalotë/Edhellos
Galadriel

Maedhros
Maglor
(other Fëanoreans are invited, but in the book decline to attend. Do we need any of them here?)

Beleg
Mablung
Celeborn
Lúthien
Daeron

Celeborn's sister
(other Green Elves from Ossiriand?)

Círdan
Galdor of the Havens
Meril (or whatever we name Orodreth's soon-to-be Sindarin bride)

Sauron
Thuringwethil

...anyone missing? Obviously there will be plenty of Sindar and Noldor present. I'm just trying to think if there are any other characters whose interactions we will need in this episode.

Last edited:
And I would like to spam this thread by repeating that I want the "Forsaken" theme to be revived as Círdan wonders whether the Noldor actually have been sent by the Valar - causing an emotional backlash when the truth hits him.

And I would like to spam this thread by repeating that I want the "Forsaken" theme to be revived as Círdan wonders whether the Noldor actually have been sent by the Valar - causing an emotional backlash when the truth hits him.
What would make Cirdan wonder?

What would make Cirdan wonder?
I think that Círdan can deal with the suggestion that the Noldor have come sent by the Valar in just a few possible ways. If he were to dismiss the idea totally, he becomes a really bitter person, I think. Maybe he doesn’t dare believe it, but he should give the thought some benefit of a doubt. The point is that this isn’t just about evidence, but about emotion. He should wonder about the reasons for the Noldor to be in Middle-earth, and he can’t avoid touching on his own deepest emotional wound (being forsaken) and his deepest held hopes. As long as things are unclear regarding the Noldor, there’s hope. But as soon as he knows the truth, the weight of his destiny is reinforced, in a brutal way.

People seem to find these ideas about Círdan irrelevant or uninteresting, but I think that his story arch will benefit from them, adding emotional power and connecting to earlier seasons.

Yes, Círdan is one of my favourite characters.

I agree that the Kinslaying reveal has to have a strong emotional impact on Cirdan, and tying that into his life's mission would be a good way to do that.

Good question. He's picking up rumours, we know that. He could look up and go talk to people who are known to spread rumours. What else? Visit the beach at Losgar again, looking at the site with new eyes, perhaps coming to new conclusions. What else?

Back