Session 4-19: Creative Content - Casting for Season 4

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
The next Silm Film podcast will happen on Thursday July 11th at 10 PM ET (pending...schedule shift is possible)

Our topic will be...casting conversations!

So, now is the time to hammer down the cast list for roles we will need to cast, and to get input from the Exec Team on what they are hoping for for these characters.

We will continue with Episodes 9 and 10 in Session 4-20 (on July 25th?). We will have one or two more Creative sessions after this Casting one, so don't worry, we're not sidelining other topics.

Here is the cast list for Season 4 that Haakon has prepared:
  • Adult Idril (consider Turgon - Pål Sverre Hagen ;Elenwë - Gabriella Wilde; Young Idril - Mckenna Grace)
  • Ecthelion
  • Glorfindel
  • Rog (renamed)
  • Edhellos
  • Orodreth's wife (Meril)
  • Annael
  • Another sibling of Celeborn (sister in frame)?
  • Oropher? (Perhaps not this season)
  • Curufin’s wife (name?)
  • Thorondor (voice)
  • Glaurung (voice)
  • Caranthir (already specified)

Meril as the name of Orodreth's wife and Edhellos as the name of Angrod's wife are already established.

We will need to submit suggestions for Rog's alternative moniker and Curufin's wife's name so that those names can be chosen during the podcast (I know we've had multiple suggestions for both characters).

Great! To add something possibly superfluous, check out descriptions of the characters in question and throw them kindly at the hosts during session if necessary. No, jokes aside: if you notice something that you don’t think is obvious it will be a good contribution to the discussion.

'Rog' is a name from the 1920 'Fall of Gondolin', and it seems very clear to me that Tolkien would have updated/changed the name had he reached that point in his re-write of the story that became 'Of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin.' But...he didn't.

So, it's up to us to give him an elf-name that works. I'm fine with having 'Rog' be something he's called in captivity or something, if we want to work the name in as an insult or part of Angband. But I do want to rename him.

Suggestions thus far for renaming Rog:

1) Give him a similar-sounding name that feels more appropriate for an elf
Rhogrin​
Róka (Róca)​
2) Play with the etymology of his name to pick something with a similar meaning but a different sound
Legrin​
Dorn​
Alagon​
Lagor​
3) Merge him with an existing character we don't plan to use, so the name is one invented by Tolkien, just not for 'Rog'
Enerdhil​

4) A joke/random name choice that people just like
Tefkar (Tefcar) = The elf formerly known as Rog​

Last edited:
Rog dies in the sack of Gondolin... I would like to use Enerdhil again as a 2nd age member of the Gwaith-i-mirdain...

Any suggestions for a name for a wife for one of the sons of Fëanor? We know Curufin has a wife (because Celebrimbor), and it was suggested that she could be taken captive at some point this season. Or if Caranthir or Maglor had a wife, that could be her.

Faelivrin had suggested naming her "Quennar" - any other ideas?

Quennar is one of those many half-abandoned names... but it is a masculine form i think, should not the female form be Quennari or Quennarie?

Last edited:
I don't think it's masculine in particular?

Q. quén (quen-) n. “person, individual, man or woman, one, somebody”

Back