Session 4-22: Final Creative Content - Dragons!

The last part would definitely happen regardless.
Regardless of whatever happens? I don’t think so actually. You would have to pick a few distinct features and present them deliberately in such a way that they become time markers (changing each time we see them). You could return to a place and not focus on things changing at all. I’m not sure I understood exactly what you meant though?

Regardless of whatever happens? I don’t think so actually. You would have to pick a few distinct features and present them deliberately in such a way that they become time markers (changing each time we see them). You could return to a place and not focus on things changing at all. I’m not sure I understood exactly what you meant though?

What I mean is that regardless of how many years we decide have gone by between story events, we would likely show building as a process that takes time. We deliberately showed Minas Tirith under construction and then showed it whole a couple of episodes later. This was done because insta-fortresses are kinda silly and we needed to acknowledge that.

Amdis is okay, though not my favorite. We already have a Dis in the Frame this season.

Is this one of those things where what would be a relatively unremarkable coincidence in real life rings false in fiction? (ie. my maternal grandfather and my father shared the same first name, and it's not like a ubiquitous John or William, it's Duane. Would seem farfetched in fiction, no? Like, in Romeo and Juliet, if Juliet's dad was also named Romeo...)

Is this one of those things where what would be a relatively unremarkable coincidence in real life rings false in fiction? (ie. my maternal grandfather and my father shared the same first name, and it's not like a ubiquitous John or William, it's Duane. Would seem farfetched in fiction, no? Like, in Romeo and Juliet, if Juliet's dad was also named Romeo...)
I'm not sure the issue lies in the probability of them having similar names so much as in the possibility that viewers will be looking for some significance to the similarity.

My suggestions for Bard's wife's name are Jarla or Inge.

I'm not sure the issue lies in the probability of them having similar names so much as in the possibility that viewers will be looking for some significance to the similarity.

That's what I mean, an unremarkable coincidence in real life comes across as hidden meaning in fiction.

Being Scandinavian, I’m a bit sensitive to how ‘Norse’ sounding names are constructed. It’s not always easy to make them up. There are some rules of course, but also some variation that complicates things.
I’m not going into all of that but for example, the suffix -e is mostly found in male names, like Inge or Atle or Folke. But Signe is a female name. The -i suffix is often used in English versions of Norse names, instead of -e. But it is also found in some Norse names, I think mostly female, but it’s tricky because most of the names you make up will risk sounding male if you’re not careful. Names ending with -a are fairly easy, they are almost always female names.
I’m not saying we have to go by these rules, I mean, it’s not real Norse names we’re after.
An example of a name ending with -i is Ragni. A variation is Ragna. Both versions mean something like ‘advice’ or ‘power of gods’. I think they could work.

Last edited:
That's what I mean, an unremarkable coincidence in real life comes across as hidden meaning in fiction.

Oh, I was just going for the mundane explanation that in a story with a lot of names, similar sounding names might confuse the viewer. Like when I bemoaned Celegorm and Celeborn being in the same scene together.

We are going to have Sauron and Saruman be the villains when we get to LotR. I am not worried about that. But when we get to choose the names ourselves, particularly for minor characters, I would prefer to avoid adding to the confusion.

Oh, I was just going for the mundane explanation that in a story with a lot of names, similar sounding names might confuse the viewer. Like when I bemoaned Celegorm and Celeborn being in the same scene together.

We are going to have Sauron and Saruman be the villains when we get to LotR. I am not worried about that. But when we get to choose the names ourselves, particularly for minor characters, I would prefer to avoid adding to the confusion.
I still remember hearing about how they changed Saruman’s name in the animated Lord of the Rings from 1978.

My suggestions for Bard's wife's name are Jarla or Inge.

Hmm... Jarla i M somehow not happy with... it sounds like a modernized version of the title Jarl but made into a female.. i guess it just sounds too modern for my taste.Inge is a bit the other way round... i connect Inge as a cliché with either a boorish or stuffily person, i think it's not a beautiful name, at least to my ears

Hmm... Jarla i M somehow not happy with... it sounds like a modernized version of the title Jarl but made into a female.. i guess it just sounds too modern for my taste.Inge is a bit the other way round... i connect Inge as a cliché with either a boorish or stuffily person, i think it's not a beautiful name, at least to my ears
I agree about Jarla, and Inge is a male name in Scandinavia - Inga is the female variant, which is a bit of a cliche (as in Trading places). Yet another variation is Ingrid, which doesn’t work either.

I stand by my earlier suggestion Ragni.
Another one: Eira (meaning: healing or soothing)
Eira and Bard. Bard and Eira. Sounds ok to me.

Here are some nice dragons btw, and Tolkien's Glaurung.

Attachments

• glautolk.jpg
    glautolk.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 9
  • sovereign_dragon_by_jasonengle-d6wxeka.jpg
    sovereign_dragon_by_jasonengle-d6wxeka.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Tale-of-wingless-dragon.jpg
    Tale-of-wingless-dragon.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 10
  • dragonwingless.jpg
    dragonwingless.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 7
I'm not that concerned about the exact size. What do you think about the dragon suggestions?

Do you think? Well the execs want a fast dragon - not a huge, slow, heavy hulk of a beast. So that's one parameter. Then we have the fact that Glaurung is wingless. He's not flying, but he's still fast. And then there's Tolkien's drawing, with its peculiar head. I think a lot points towards something close to the Chinese dragon (second from left). It's not really like a snake, although, I admit it is a bit snakey. It is golden, which is nice.

(I agree that the one to the far right is more or less a huge snake - and probably not what we want).

Back