Session 4-22: Final Creative Content - Dragons!

Probably because including Glaurung in the season arc makes better sense story wise if he is to be the culmination of the season. They were unconvinced of this early in the season.
I don’t know about this. I don’t know if we can create a cohesive narrative detailing the origin of Glaurung and make it a surprise for the audience when he makes his premature debut in the season finale. He’s supposed to be a surprise for the audience, appear practically out of nowhere and get everyone scared because Morgoth has made something that’s powerful like a Balrog (that we learn he can make more of, we learn that there are many of them 200 years after his debut) and won’t turn to stone like a troll.

Well, there are different things the audience can be surprised by. They can know that something is coming, and still be surprised by it when it happens, if what they are expecting is smaller or different than what actually comes. This proposed greedy Lorien-Maia turning into MEGA-DRAGON is pretty surprising, even if we know Lorien-Maia exists, and even if we know that he is being... modified by Morgoth. It's still a startling left turn. Especially if we can pair it with an aggressive jump-scare when he is first revealed.

I don’t know about this. I don’t know if we can create a cohesive narrative detailing the origin of Glaurung and make it a surprise for the audience when he makes his premature debut in the season finale. He’s supposed to be a surprise for the audience, appear practically out of nowhere and get everyone scared because Morgoth has made something that’s powerful like a Balrog (that we learn he can make more of) and won’t turn to stone.

I don't think we need a fully comprehensive origin story in this season. Just a single scene with Maiar!Glaurung early in the season and a hint at a new project in the works in the penultimate episode. If we want a more in-depth look at this we can do it next season, or not. But we don't need to work out the exact details of what that looks like right now.

I don't think we need a fully comprehensive origin story in this season. Just a single scene with Maiar!Glaurung early in the season and a hint at a new project in the works in the penultimate episode. If we want a more in-depth look at this we can do it next season, or not. But we don't need to work out the exact details of what that looks like right now.
If we’re going to go this route with Maia Glaurung, what should we name him?

I was browsing the language resources to find a good name. I thought it would be good to establish a connection to Lorien. I'm no expert, but maybe I can give people some ideas. One way would be to give him a name that literally means "from Lorien". I'm not sure exactly but that would be something like Lorienello (?). Or it could be something less clear. Morello or Morillo - or even Lóllo ('from the/a night'), or Úramaur ("nasty dream"), perhaps.

Last edited:
Something I realized has to be in place: Glaurung’s belly has to be low enough for a Dwarf lying on their back to stab him, since Azaghal does that in the Nirnaeth and that forces Glaurung to flee the field.

Something I realized has to be in place: Glaurung’s belly has to be low enough for a Dwarf lying on their back to stab him, since Azaghal does that in the Nirnaeth and that forces Glaurung to flee the field.
Agreed. Most likely he’ll be able to crawl or stand with an arched back or in different ways position himself so that his belly will be close to or high above the ground. At some point, Azaghal will be able to stab him. I suggest that he should not always keep his belly that close to the ground, or the success of the stab wouldn’t be a surprise.

Last edited:
Back