Session 4-26: Post-production Script Reviews, Part 2

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Session 4-26 will be held on Thursday October 17th at 10 PM Eastern Time. GoToWebinar users will have to re-register for the sessions if they have not already done so yesterday.

Link here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8683047135397092108

Session 4-26 will continue the script review process, focusing on Episodes 3-6. We touched on some aspects of episodes 3-4 during last session (namely Maedhros' characterization), but will pick up with Episode 3 when we begin.

The relevant links can be found on this thread:
https://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/scripts-and-script-outlines-for-season-4.3458/

(Just give me a couple days to update that to include episodes 5-6!)

Is it possible we could finalize how Glorfindel is related to the House of Fingolfin, specifically Turgon?

I think the hypothesis was, he possibly was a descendant of one of Finwes daughters, Irime or more possibly Findis, because of the Fin- name element..
but we never made a definite d3cision about it.

Yes, we had suggested/conjectured that he is of the House of Finwë via one of Finwë's daughters, so that his closeness and loyalty to Turgon and Idril (and later Idril's descendant Elrond) would be born of kinship.

The 'fin' name element needn't have anything to do with Finwë - it means hair, and his full name means 'golden-hair' which is fairly self-explanatory. But having golden hair and being a Noldo is unusual, so having him be a descendant of Indis would help explain his looks. But he could just as easily be Elenwë's brother (if any Vanyar came into Exile besides her?) if we need him to be blond-kin-to-Idril.

As for how this would come up....if Fingolfin's besain after Aredhel goes to Gondolin is Glorfindel's sister or mother (and either Findis or Irime's daughter), then her kinship to both Fingolfin and Glorfindel would likely come up at some point. And if he's actually Idril's uncle, that could be stated explicitly by having him call her his niece or having her address him as uncle. But that isn't necessarily a Season 4 issue.

Basically, we can suggest things, but we can't 'nail down' such decisions without running them by the Hosts, and as this isn't pertinent to the Season 4 scripts, I don't think we currently have the opportunity to do so.

Unless you think it essential that Glorfindel be kin to Turgon for him to decide to follow him to Gondolin?

Don't think we have to mention the exact kind of relation.He is a close kinsman is all that is needed for the plot..

Yes, we had suggested/conjectured that he is of the House of Finwë via one of Finwë's daughters, so that his closeness and loyalty to Turgon and Idril (and later Idril's descendant Elrond) would be born of kinship.

The 'fin' name element needn't have anything to do with Finwë - it means hair, and his full name means 'golden-hair' which is fairly self-explanatory. But having golden hair and being a Noldo is unusual, so having him be a descendant of Indis would help explain his looks. But he could just as easily be Elenwë's brother (if any Vanyar came into Exile besides her?) if we need him to be blond-kin-to-Idril.

As for how this would come up....if Fingolfin's besain after Aredhel goes to Gondolin is Glorfindel's sister or mother (and either Findis or Irime's daughter), then her kinship to both Fingolfin and Glorfindel would likely come up at some point. And if he's actually Idril's uncle, that could be stated explicitly by having him call her his niece or having her address him as uncle. But that isn't necessarily a Season 4 issue.

Basically, we can suggest things, but we can't 'nail down' such decisions without running them by the Hosts, and as this isn't pertinent to the Season 4 scripts, I don't think we currently have the opportunity to do so.

Unless you think it essential that Glorfindel be kin to Turgon for him to decide to follow him to Gondolin?
Well, if he wants to be close to his kin, why not stay with Fingolfin and Fingon? We don't have to explain it in dialogue, but I'd like a reason as to why he's personally loyal to Turgon.

Well he can adress him as "my dear cousin" i guess... that leaves it open if he is his first cousin...

Like last time, I wasn't taking super detailed notes on this episode because I was participating in the discussion, but here is what I have:

The first thing discussed was the frame. Unfortunately, I missed some of this discussion because computer trouble, but what I was there for was some discussion of Dis and how she had lost her family and legacy in the Battle of Five Armies, and, while Gandalf tries to help everyone, his plans are often dangerous and can lead to people getting killed.
  • Hosts concerned about Thuringwethil's flyover scenes being connected to ravens, but this will help fool the viewers into thinking that all the flyovers are ravens until the reveal of Thuringwethil at the end
  • Dain needs to be a little less crazy about dragons in Episode 4; focus on dragons is a cover so he can build up his army because of his concerns about Thranduil
  • Elves would not think of kingship as being passed through victory in combat, so it does not need to be announced to the crowd
  • Galadriel's relationship to Luthien, especially taking classes from her, really shows Galadriel's humility
  • The fight between Angrod and Caranthir in Episode 3 should be replaced by a scene where Caranthir is trying to get Angrod to draw his sword on him; Fingolfin intervenes and still realizes that Caranthir started it
  • Thuringwethil's focus on Maedhros in Episode 4 (leading to the Maedhros training montage) could be explained by Mairon mentioning that he specifically assigned her to watch Maedhros to see how he was doing
  • Fingon should be a little more empathetic towards Annael and his family in Episode 4
  • Luthien's use of humor in Episode 5 seems strange but fits with Tolkien's themes of laughter dispelling darkness
  • Mairon's instrument is a hurdy gurdy because it is mechanically complex and the sounds it creates are similar to his voice
  • The eclipse in Episode 6 happens everywhere because the earth is flat; astronomical details do not need to be explained
  • Likewise, how cats transport prisoners despite having no thumbs does not need to be explained
Next session, we will be discussing scripts for Episodes 6-9. Please share with me any feedback you have on those five scripts.

Back