Session 4-27, 4-28: Post-production Script Review, Parts 3 and 4

It might be easier to have an Elf-focused Season 5, since The Silmarillion is primarily from their POV up to Beren and Luthien. However, we'll have to convey Man-focused events like when some of the Edain decide to leave Beleriand. Perhaps the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth is from Finrod's POV, with him trying to understand Men?

Right, so the part of the story we tell between Andreth and Aegnor can certainly be Angrod-free. He doesn't need to be dead for that to happen.

That is still merely a part of one season rather than the 2.5 seasons that Aegnor will have been a character.
Angrod’s story will be kind of lame from now on up until he dies then. I mean, he will go from being important to being a background character - and then die. Dying now makes a better story.

Right, so the part of the story we tell between Andreth and Aegnor can certainly be Angrod-free. He doesn't need to be dead for that to happen.

That is still merely a part of one season rather than the 2.5 seasons that Aegnor will have been a character.
I'm simply noting that we have 145 years to cover (152 depending on if we depict Hurin and Huor in Gondolin plus Hurin's acceding to Lord of Dor-Lomin), and Andreth will be present for 76 of those years depending on the age of majority.

Angrod’s story will be kind of lame from now on up until he dies then. I mean, he will go from being important to being a background character - and then die. Dying now makes a better story.

Honestly, it is only lame if we make it lame, which we are under no obligation to do.

I'm not overly attached to Angrod, but I don't think the "the story we haven't made yet will be worse for having him" argument is particularly strong.

I'm simply noting that we have 145 years to cover (152 depending on if we depict Hurin and Huor in Gondolin plus Hurin's acceding to Lord of Dor-Lomin), and Andreth will be present for 76 of those years depending on the age of majority.
Right, so a comparatively short period of time. Having her on screen through 3-5 episodes vs. the amount of seasons we have scenes with Elvish characters will feel a bit jarring to the audience, and it should. It's jarring for the Elves.

It's not (entirely) an issue of years. It's also an issue of number of episodes.

Season 5 will end with the confrontation between Fingolfin and Morgoth after the Dagor Bragollach. Beor, Haleth, and Andreth will exist throughout the season, but not spanning it. Their stories don't overlap. So, they are perforce each going to appear in a few episodes....and that's it. We only have 13 episodes to work with - and Andreth may be alive for a span of time, but she is unlikely to appear in more than 2-3 of those episodes, and will either be recast or have a ton of makeup on later.

We will show the romance of Aegnor and Andreth. But...that will be one episode. And we will show old lady Andreth later. We may add to her story, but I wouldn't count on that at this stage.

Right, so a comparatively short period of time. Having her on screen through 3-5 episodes vs. the amount of seasons we have scenes with Elvish characters will feel a bit jarring to the audience, and it should. It's jarring for the Elves.
On the other hand if it's going to be Elvish-centered, how do we convey scenes that do not have Elves, like when some of the Edain choose to leave Beleriand?

It's not (entirely) an issue of years. It's also an issue of number of episodes.

Season 5 will end with the confrontation between Fingolfin and Morgoth after the Dagor Bragollach. Beor, Haleth, and Andreth will exist throughout the season, but not spanning it. Their stories don't overlap. So, they are perforce each going to appear in a few episodes....and that's it. We only have 13 episodes to work with - and Andreth may be alive for a span of time, but she is unlikely to appear in more than 2-3 of those episodes, and will either be recast or have a ton of makeup on later.

We will show the romance of Aegnor and Andreth. But...that will be one episode. And we will show old lady Andreth later. We may add to her story, but I wouldn't count on that at this stage.
Is it worth depicting the conversation between Finrod and Andreth?

As far as what we cover, where would events like the taking of Tol Sirion and Hurin and Huor in Gondolin fall? I thought we would be going up to Beren and Luthien.

As far as what we cover, where would events like the taking of Tol Sirion and Hurin and Huor in Gondolin fall? I thought we would be going up to Beren and Luthien.
The taking of Tol Sirion could happen at the beginning of Season 6 (Beren and Luthien). Hurin and Huor in Gondolin I think could be told in Season 7, which could focus on the buildup to the Nirnaeth Aroediad.

The taking of Tol Sirion could happen at the beginning of Season 6 (Beren and Luthien). Hurin and Huor in Gondolin I think could be told in Season 7, which could focus on the buildup to the Nirnaeth Aroediad.
Perhaps. I've thought that Beren and Luthien could take six-seven episodes, leave the Nirnaeth to close out the season.

Perhaps. I've thought that Beren and Luthien could take six-seven episodes, leave the Nirnaeth to close out the season.
I think there's enough to the Beren and Luthien story that it can take the full season; moreover, it ends on a hopeful note with there return to life, and I don't want that to be lost in the middle of the season; I want that to be the end.

I also think that enough happens between the Dagor Bragollach and the Nirnaeth Arnoediad to make a full season of it. This season would include things like Turin's childhood.

Just because it's Elvish-centered doesn't mean we can't show scenes of just Men. We show scenes in Angband in which no Elves are present in this season.

Precisely. The point is that the stories of individual humans will appear short to the audience as they are to the Elves. We'll get to know Beor, then he'll be gone. We'll get to know Haleth, then she'll be gone.

I'd say so too, but it's going to be risky. How do we convey the depths of Aegnor and Andreth's feelings for each other over the course of a single episode?
Aegnor and Andreth's relationship is brief. What I think is more important is the effect that Aegnor leaving her has on Andreth, which will come out in her discussion with Finrod. The relationship can span one or two episodes, and the Athrabeth can happen in another.

Honestly, it is only lame if we make it lame, which we are under no obligation to do.

I'm not overly attached to Angrod
I think we agree on the importance of Angrod. But I do think that the lameness hangs on the structure of the story, not on the quality.

Back