Session 4-27, 4-28: Post-production Script Review, Parts 3 and 4

(So when will it be possible to listen to those sessions?)
Ok that’s great. But still, I do think that the rule needs some clarification and nuancing.

Ok. I see. I have tried to think of a solution to that problem, but I cannot see Sauron taking part in the battle. Unless he’s disguised or something. Could he pretend he’s Angrod again? Killing Edhellos posing as her husband? No probably not.

Ok. I see. I have tried to think of a solution to that problem, but I cannot see Sauron taking part in the battle. Unless he’s disguised or something. Could he pretend he’s Angrod again? Killing Edhellos posing as her husband? No probably not.

My biggest issue there is one of plausible motivation. But I have that same issue with most of the scenarios which have Sauron killing their best tool to date.

In the newest script, I have Sauron in the battle because he’s delivering news to Gothmog (and wants to personally make fun of him for his bad defenses).

Edhellos is no longer Sauron’s best tool after she has revealed to Angrod that she killed the messenger and the Feanorians aren’t coming.

In the newest script, I have Sauron in the battle because he’s delivering news to Gothmog (and wants to personally make fun of him for his bad defenses).

Edhellos is no longer Sauron’s best tool after she has revealed to Angrod that she killed the messenger and the Feanorians aren’t coming.
I've thought of that for Sauron and this wouldn't be the last time he does that; he has Gorlim killed once he has all that he needs regarding the 12 in Dorthonion in Beren and Luthien. After Edhellos outs herself, she's no longer useful as a spy. After the SoBD is revealed, Sauron's going to have to look for some other way for intelligence and so he sets on... Annael.

I'm not sure that Sauron is the best person for that job. Thuringwethil certainly could accomplish that task, without there being conflict between her and Gothmog.

Unless Sauron kills Angrod, which makes a lot more sense than killing Edhellos and letting Angrod live.

Nope. Not today. ;)
As in scapegoat.

I guess the reason why I would like to get Sauron more in on the action is that he has an abysmal record in fights; yes he takes Tol Sirion, but he gets taken down by an Elf and a big dog and later on he gets taken out by an Elf and two Men. For the Dark Lord of the Lord of the Rings, that's not very good.

Contrast with Gothmog who took out Feanor, kills Fingon, captures Hurin, and wounds Ecthelion to the point that he has to commit a mutual kill to defeat him.

I'm not sure that Sauron is the best person for that job. Thuringwethil certainly could accomplish that task, without there being conflict between her and Gothmog.

Unless Sauron kills Angrod, which makes a lot more sense than killing Edhellos and letting Angrod live.
But killing Angrod would mean that the Elves don’t learn the Feanorians aren’t coming, which Morgoth evidently wants them to learn. Also Edhellos runs straight at him.

But killing Angrod would mean that the Elves don’t learn the Feanorians aren’t coming, which Morgoth evidently wants them to learn. Also Edhellos runs straight at him.

It doesn't have to mean that. Didn't we initially talk about Angrod telling Aegnor that the Feanorians would not come with his dying breath? He isn't going to get into the complexities of how that happened under those circumstances.

As in scapegoat.

I guess the reason why I would like to get Sauron more in on the action is that he has an abysmal record in fights; yes he takes Tol Sirion, but he gets taken down by an Elf and a big dog and later on he gets taken out by an Elf and two Men. For the Dark Lord of the Lord of the Rings, that's not very good.

Contrast with Gothmog who took out Feanor, kills Fingon, captures Hurin, and wounds Ecthelion to the point that he has to commit a mutual kill to defeat him.

It would seem that way if you compare Sauron's failures with Gothmog's successes.

Up until this point, Sauron basically wiped out the Falathrim as a civilization, forced Melian to reveal herself, captured Maedhros, discovered the truth of the Kinslaying, and driven a wedge between the Noldor and the Sindar.

In comparison, Gothmog has sent an army of Orcs after the Sindar, which was almost entirely destroyed. The army he led was roundly defeated by Fëanor's army and he was personally chased off the field by Feanor's sons. Now, he's led yet another army to yet another complete an utter catastrophe. He's been wholly useless this entire season, while everything has come up Sauron the whole time.

It doesn't have to mean that. Didn't we initially talk about Angrod telling Aegnor that the Feanorians would not come with his dying breath? He isn't going to get into the complexities of how that happened under those circumstances.
But Angrod isn’t dying, and the warning that the Feanorians aren’t coming would sound most credible coming from him.

Sauron sees Edhellos is rushing out into the field of battle and knows so she’s probably going to get killed anyways. Why wouldn’t he just kill her himself?

An Elf who will know Sauron as the guy who killed his grandmother and his father’s best friend. Two Men who will be wielding a sword made to replace a sword that Aegnor broke fighting Sauron and which has a special dwarf curse on it.

Back