Session 4-33: Casting

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Our next session will be held on Thursday January 30th at 10 PM Eastern Time.

The penultimate session of Season 4 will be focused on the Casting. Thanks to everyone who nominated actors for roles and voted in the poll that closed last month. We'll announce the results of the voting, and the Exec Team will select their choices of actors for the roles.

Please continue to post your artistic contributions on the boards for our final session!

Yeah I won’t be able to attend to the session, but I’m curious about what will happen, if there’s going to be any vetoes and such things. I think it’ll be fun.

Maybe a dumb question, but in the past on the Tolkienprofessor podcast, when I only ever listened to the podcast after the fact (and was in a long process of catching up) Corey sometimes said there was GoToWebinar for listening live and asking questions and there was some kind of live discussion chat thingy among the listeners on the webpage or sth ? Is that something that has long since been shut down? Or is there some kind of live chat or only the gotowebinar question window?

Maybe a dumb question, but in the past on the Tolkienprofessor podcast, when I only ever listened to the podcast after the fact (and was in a long process of catching up) Corey sometimes said there was GoToWebinar for listening live and asking questions and there was some kind of live discussion chat thingy among the listeners on the webpage or sth ? Is that something that has long since been shut down? Or is there some kind of live chat or only the gotowebinar question window?
There’s the question window on Gotowebinar, or you can tune into Twitch.

If you go to the silmfilm.mythgard.org there is a link to register for the gotowebinar sessions. They're live at 10 PM EST Thursday nights.

I know about the Twitch-channel, but I thought it was mostly used for ELotR. I used gotowebinar for the last session, too. Maybe I've imagined something but I was under the impression that sometimes back in the riddles in the dark/silmarillion seminar times there was a mention of some chatroom thingy on the signum site. But very probable that I'm misremembering or mixed up sth. I heard while catching up with a lot of podcast-hours :)

I know about the Twitch-channel, but I thought it was mostly used for ELotR. I used gotowebinar for the last session, too. Maybe I've imagined something but I was under the impression that sometimes back in the riddles in the dark/silmarillion seminar times there was a mention of some chatroom thingy on the signum site. But very probable that I'm misremembering or mixed up sth. I heard while catching up with a lot of podcast-hours :)
I remember the chatroom, but I don’t think it’s been used much of late. I tried back in, what, 2013? And failed. Haven’t tried since.

The primary/best communication methods are: SilmFilm - GoToWebinar. Exploring LotR - Discord

Yeah, there was a chatroom that predated these messageboards. For all I know there still is one for other Mythgard classes? But there is no chatroom for SilmFilm. Your options are: sign up for GoToWebinar and type comments to the hosts in a chatbox, watch the Twitch channel and add your comments live (those will be visible to anyone watching the Twitch recording in the future, by the way). And of course, to post here on the messageboards :).

SilmFilm Session 4-33: Casting

Thanks to casting director Haakon and everyone who nominated and voted!
If anyone is bored, the SilmFilm hosts would appreciate a genealogical chart of the cast so far.

Frame characters:

Balin = Mandy Patinkin
In SilmFilm, we can show Balin’s expedition to Moria and the history of Moria in the Second Age.

Dáin Ironfoot = Clive Mantle
Good dwarf face, great nose, can pull off a beard.

Dís (Thorin’s sister) = Kathy Bates

Bard = Michael Shannon
Gruff pessimist quality, Bard several years after the events of The Hobbit

Ragna (Bard’s wife) = Hayley Atwell
Serious, statuesque, and imposing, good queen

Galathil (Celeborn’s sister) = tie between Olga Kurylenko and Kelly Reilly, hosts chose Olga Kurylenko
Kurylenko had better coloring for the role and looked more like she was related to Celeborn

Thranduil = William Moseley
Not physically imposing but has refined dignity and arrogance

Gandalf = tie between Jeremy Irons and Gary Oldman, hosts chose Gary Oldman
Perhaps Jeremy Irons could be Saruman and Peter Capaldi could be Radagast or one of the Blue Wizards

Main story characters:

Glaurung (voice) = Jeff Goldblum
Cultured voice, not dark and moody

Thorondor (voice) = tie between Daniel Day-Lewis and Liam Neeson, hosts chose Daniel Day-Lewis
Daniel Day-Lewis is cast as Manwë, but his voice would be altered for this role, it would need to be clear that Manwë has not transformed into Thorondor. Just because someone is cast for a voice role does not mean they cannot also be an actor

Annael = Riz Ahmed

Meril (Orodreth’s wife) = Daisy Ridley
Hosts considered saving Daisy Ridley since Meril is such a small role, but they decided to keep her. Meril will become more prominent over the next few seasons. Anna Popplewell should get a role somewhere in SilmFilm

Rhogrin (formerly known as Rog) = John Bernthal
Good for combat and being tortured in Angband

Caranthir = Ed Skrein
Good sharp nose and chin, mischievous-looking

Díriel (Curufin’s wife) = Oona Chaplin

Ecthelion = Sebastian Stan
Action hero, physically imposing
Fun fact: Corey Olsen went to college with Leehom Wang, another of the nominees

Edhellos (Angrod’s wife) = tie between Gal Gadot and Bridget Regan, hosts chose Bridget Regan
We might want to save Gal Gadot for another role. Jewel Staite and Krysten Ritter should appear at some point in SilmFilm

Glorfindel = Alex Pettyfer
Pretty face without being delicate, goes good with Ecthelion (Sebastian Stan), Ecthelion would look like older brother

Idril = three-way tie between Nell Tiger Free, Lily James, and Chloë Grace Moretz, hosts chose Nell Tiger Free
Actress had awesome name.

Back