Session 5-01: Pre-production

A bit ironic since the chapter is called "Of Aredhel".

Speaking of Gondolin, how do we want to introduce the rest of the heads of the Houses of the Gondolodrim? We've introduced Glorfindel and Ecthelion, but what about the rest?
I’ve already introduced the heads of the houses, and over the course of the episodes about the discovery of Tumladen and building of Gondolin, I tried to create a moment where each lord was visually associated with the symbol of his house. I also mention where they are introduced and in which episodes they appear in the Character Introductions thread.

I’ve already introduced the heads of the houses, and over the course of the episodes about the discovery of Tumladen and building of Gondolin, I tried to create a moment where each lord was visually associated with the symbol of his house. I also mention where they are introduced and in which episodes they appear in the Character Introductions thread.
Okay.

So is my idea about Eol having control of the forest around Nan Elmoth (while he's there) a good idea?
We had a lot of discussion about this earlier, I think several of us considered Eöl having some sort of control over the area - we talked about some sort of magical residue after Melian and Elwë had their long love trance session there. I think it's a good idea, although I have some reservations.

In the PubSil, it is clear that Eöl lures Aredhel to stray to the doors of his house, but it doesn't sound like he has some kind of Girdle-like solution or power over the whole forest. And later, he tells her she can wander as she likes (under the stars, not in daylight), but she can't visit any of the Noldor. This doesn't, in my opinion, imply that his power is such that he can actually constrain her magically, or limit her movement in any way, actually. It sounds more like a contract of some sort than a spell. So in my mind, I think that he probably chose Nan Elmoth because of the "magical residue" and that it gives him enhanced power to some degree, but that probably doesn't include a continuous control over everything in the area.

Question: do we have a herald for Morgoth? Because he’s apparently sending envoys over the mountains to Men to get them to surrender in the Dagor Bragollach’s aftermath.

Suggested Themes for Season 5 thus far:
  • Division
  • Seeds of Evil
  • Death
  • Learning/Understanding
  • Loss - Finding/Meeting and Losing
  • Unexpected Change/Surprise
Did I miss any? I only skimmed the first three pages of responses thus far.

• Division
  • Seeds of Evil
  • Death
  • Learning/Understanding
So far, so good.

• Division
  • Seeds of Evil
  • Death
  • Learning/Understanding
Acting/activity vs. Waiting/inactivity. During the siege, this will come up again and again. Is the siege meaningless? Elves can wait a long time, but men die. What does waiting do with the Men? In the end, Fingolfin can’t wait anymore, years and years of siege have built up enough frustration to drive him to a hopeless attack.

Last edited:
Question: how big is Morgoth? Would Fingolfin be able to strike a point on him that would be fatal, per se?

• Division
  • Seeds of Evil
  • Death
  • Learning/Understanding
My suggestion for an overall kind of theme was Separation. This kind of covers and vaguely fits in with almost all the themes mentioned, as division, death and loss are all types of being separated. Though I guess division is almost the exact same thing as separation.

Yes, thank you, so worth noting that not *every* subplot has to be on theme (as 'Meanwhile in Beleriand' had little to do with rebellion), but that it is very important the Frame story match the theme and be *all* about that. And the more we can tie stories together thematically, the more coherent our season will seem.

So, current Season 5 theme suggestions are:
•Division​
•Seeds of Evil​
•Death​
•Learning/Understanding​
•Loss - Finding/Meeting and Losing​
•Unexpected Change/Surprise​
•Acting/activity vs. Waiting/inactivity​
•Separation​

I'll try to include some brief explanations in my notes for the hosts when we start up again.

Typically, I send in the notes/powerpoint two days before the sessions (so, the Tuesday prior to a Thursday evening session), but with this first one, I will probably send them in one week in advance (March 19th), since it is the first one for a new season and I want to give them a chance to make any changes. Also, usually waiting until Tuesday gives everyone 10 days between sessions to respond here on the boards, but in this case, we've been discussing Season 5 for months now - so everyone has more than had a chance to weigh in on themes and storylines! Just giving the heads up that anything posted after next Thursday may not be included in the notes/powerpoint for the first session, and will have to be picked up in a later session.

So for our storylines, we have:
  • The coming of Men into Beleriand and the introduction of non-violent death into Elvish society
  • Pertaining to the above:
  • Beor meets Finrod
  • Bereg and not!Amlach dissenting in Council of 368 FA
  • Assault on the Haladin stockade of 375 where Haleth comes to the front of history
  • The settling of Men: the House of Beor in Ladros, the Haladin in Brethil and the House of Hador in Dor-Lomin
  • Of Aredhel, her death and what Maeglin gives to Gondolin
  • Aegnor and Andreth
  • The Dagor Bragollach and the Fall of Fingolfin

So for our storylines, we have:
  • The coming of Men into Beleriand and the introduction of non-violent death into Elvish society
  • Pertaining to the above:
  • Beor meets Finrod
  • Bereg and not!Amlach dissenting in Council of 368 FA
  • Assault on the Haladin stockade of 375 where Haleth comes to the front of history
  • The settling of Men: the House of Beor in Ladros, the Haladin in Brethil and the House of Hador in Dor-Lomin
  • Of Aredhel, her death and what Maeglin gives to Gondolin
  • Aegnor and Andreth
  • The Dagor Bragollach and the Fall of Fingolfin
  • The escape of Rhogrin and Annael + Annael's treachery

• The escape of Rhogrin and Annael + Annael's treachery

This is kind of out of left field, and I'm about 99.89% sure it wouldn't work, but hear me out.

Since the Rhogrin/Annael thing is being created from whole cloth, and the Feanorians have almost nothing to do this season, could we tie either Annael and/or Rhogrin to the Feanorians some how? I know it's a bit of a longshot, as Annael ends up in Mithrim and Rhogrin ends up with Fingolfin, then Turgon, as well as the fact that the Feanorians are all settled so far from Angband. So how those paths would cross is a bit of a tangle to start with. But it's an idea that may be able to worked out (or not.)

This is kind of out of left field, and I'm about 99.89% sure it wouldn't work, but hear me out.

Since the Rhogrin/Annael thing is being created from whole cloth, and the Feanorians have almost nothing to do this season, could we tie either Annael and/or Rhogrin to the Feanorians some how? I know it's a bit of a longshot, as Annael ends up in Mithrim and Rhogrin ends up with Fingolfin, then Turgon, as well as the fact that the Feanorians are all settled so far from Angband. So how those paths would cross is a bit of a tangle to start with. But it's an idea that may be able to worked out (or not.)
Well, I've suggested having Diriel pass a hammer to Rhogrin, that he uses to brain the Orcs around him and lead a group of prisoners out.

So Annael should probably participate in unwitting treachery this season, but what form should it take? I've bounced around ideas about him distracting the Elves of Barad Eithel from stopping Sauron from taking Tol Sirion. He could also participate in Sauron's Catch-and-Release program as an unwitting accomplice (think Ellie Oscar from Where are you Going, Where Have You Been). What else could he do?

Back