Session 5-03: Season Outline

I don't know how we'll deal with the two Gelmirs yet, as we haven't really gotten to them.
He's captured during the Bragollach, so we may want to work it out soon.

I think the best way to handle the two Gelmirs would be to rename one of them. This raises the question: which Gelmir will actually be called Gelmir - Gwindor's brother or Arminas's friend?
I'd vote for renaming Gwindor's brother. Gelmir and Arminas have fairly significant roles in 2 different stories, even if it will only account to two episodes, total; while Gwindor's brother is simply there to be captured and later slaughtered. And since he will be captured this season, we won't have much time to build him up before then.

He's captured during the Bragollach, so we may want to work it out soon.

I'd vote for renaming Gwindor's brother. Gelmir and Arminas have fairly significant roles in 2 different stories, even if it will only account to two episodes, total; while Gwindor's brother is simply there to be captured and later slaughtered. And since he will be captured this season, we won't have much time to build him up before then.
What do we rename him to then?

Gwindor and Findor maybe? Sounds like Schulz & Schultz, Dupont & Dupond or Hans & Franz though...

We could call him Gelir, though that names means "merry"... would be a bit cynical considering what happens to him i guess...

Houses of Gondolin

House of the King - Turgon
House of the Golden Flower - Glorfindel
House of the Fountain - Ecthelion
House of the Heavenly Arch - Egalmoth
House of the Tree - Galdor (Sindar)
House of the Swallow - Duilin
House of the Harp - Salgant
House of the Pillar - Penlod
House of the Tower of Snow - Aredhel (later Penlod)
House of the Mole - Maeglin
House of the Hammer of Wrath - Rhogrin
House of the Wing - Tuor

The italicized ones don't exist yet. All of the non-italicized characters have been introduced, as the lords of their respective houses. The House of the Tower of Snow is originally Aredhel's, but she will 'pass it off' to someone else (presumably Penlod) when she leaves this season.
Speaking of the Houses of Gondolin, we should make the decision about whether or not we should have Turgon send his most trusted captains to accompany Aredhel. I say "yea" because it speaks a bit about Turgon's character that comes up later in the Eöl situation: he's very protective of Aredhel so he would likely send his best to protect her. How it comes up in the Eöl situation is that he ignores Aredhel's pleading for Eöl's life on her deathbed and executes him.

Just so you know, according to Josh Ramsey, the following are perfectly valid Sindarin names:

Dandelion: son of one who stands against terror; dan-ndel-ion
Penguin: one who is alive; pen-cuin

He would love to see these names given to some minor character in Silm Film......

Just so you know, according to Josh Ramsey, the following are perfectly valid Sindarin names:

Dandelion: son of one who stands against terror; dan-ndel-ion
Penguin: one who is alive; pen-cuin

He would love to see these names given to some minor character in Silm Film......
I think it's funny, but I thought we were trying to stray from funny names, otherwise we'd still have Elmo...

I know I'll be thrown under the bus for it, but given that their father plays literally no part in the story, we could give him their father's name, Guilin.
Not throwing you under the bus, but I'm not in favor of calling Gelmir Guilin. Even if we don't have Guilin appear, we would probably refer to Gwindor and [Gelmir] as the sons of Guilin at some point.

Also, I think we might want to make Guilin one of the 10 lords who remain loyal to Finrod and dies in Tol-in-Gaurhoth. That would give us another named character so these lords wouldn't all be nameless red-shirts, as well as another reason Gwindor would be eager to participate in the Nirnaeth.

I think it's funny, but I thought we were trying to stray from funny names, otherwise we'd still have Elmo...

Well, yes, I'm not sure we'd want a silly name. On the other hand, you pronounce Dandelion 'danDELL-ee-on' so it wouldn't sound like 'dandylion'.

We'll eventually want a character named 'Selardor' for similar reasons!

Not throwing you under the bus, but I'm not in favor of calling Gelmir Guilin. Even if we don't have Guilin appear, we would probably refer to Gwindor and [Gelmir] as the sons of Guilin at some point.

Also, I think we might want to make Guilin one of the 10 lords who remain loyal to Finrod and dies in Tol-in-Gaurhoth. That would give us another named character so these lords wouldn't all be nameless red-shirts, as well as another reason Gwindor would be eager to participate in the Nirnaeth.
So would we swap Guilin and Edrahil's fates? Because in the book Edrahil is the leader of the 10 Elves who accompany Finrod and Beren and apparently in the Book of Lost Tales Guilin is still alive when Gwindor returns to Nargothrond with Túrin in tow.

So would we swap Guilin and Edrahil's fates? Because in the book Edrahil is the leader of the 10 Elves who accompany Finrod and Beren and apparently in the Book of Lost Tales Guilin is still alive when Gwindor returns to Nargothrond with Túrin in tow.
No, if we have Guilin as one of Finrod and Beren's companions, I would want it to be in addition to Edrahil, not instead of. While Guilin (then called Fuilin) is in Nargothrond when Gwindor (then called Flinding) returns in The Lays of Beleriand, I couldn't find any reference to Guilin being in Nargothrond when Gwindor returns in either The Silmarillion or The Children of Hurin. I think we could probably choose what we want to happen to Guilin.

It's easy enough to have some line spoken by an unnamed Elf, and then only in the credits (or DVD extras) do you see the name.

Looking at supporting roles: We'll also need a name for Elves freed by Luthien and knows his way back to Nargothrond to tell Orodreth of Celegorm and Curufin's treachery. Oropher is a likely candidate for the Sinda of Doriath, but what about Nargothrond? Is this where we'd introduce Gildor?
Perhaps his father Inglor is another of Finrod's companions?

Speaking of Oropher, do we want to introduce him this season or next? IE would he be one of the Elves who accompanies Beleg to Brethil to fight off Orcs and is kidnapped?

Looking at supporting roles: We'll also need a name for Elves freed by Luthien and knows his way back to Nargothrond to tell Orodreth of Celegorm and Curufin's treachery. Oropher is a likely candidate for the Sinda of Doriath, but what about Nargothrond? Is this where we'd introduce Gildor?
Perhaps his father Inglor is another of Finrod's companions?

Would love to include Inglor and Gildor!

It would be super tragic if Gildor is at Minas Tirith and he and Inglor see and recognize each other when Inglor is captured, but they can't acknowledge this because that would give away Finrod.

I know I'll be thrown under the bus for it, but given that their father plays literally no part in the story, we could give him their father's name, Guilin.
What about using some discarded name? Gumlin? Or Tamar or Bethos or something like it... or Galion

Last edited:
Back