Session 5-06: The Storylines of Men, Part 2 - Bëor, Amlach, and (possibly) Hador

The goal of this adaptation is to make the story of the Silmarillion accessible to people who have not read the Silmarillion (though some familiarity with Lord of the Rings is presumed in the audience), and thus to tell Tolkien's stories in an episodic television series style rather than in a plot summary history book style (which most of the published Silmarillion is).

When reading this section of the book, there is a lot of 'and then these people moved here' and there's always a new name of the lord of the people when that happens. Is it possible to follow? Sure. But it is passages like this that make people compare The Silmarillion to the Old Testament unfavorably - it's just a list of names! Each person does, like, one thing, and then they die!

I agree that later on we are going to gloss over generations of Men to get to the characters we want to get to. I think that the desire not to do that here is in part because this is the Season where Men are introduced. We've caught glimpses of them thrice before, but this is the first time they speak up and we get to know them. We want some time to settle in and get to know them, rather than killing each one off in the episode where they are introduced. Skipping from Bëor directly to Bëor's great-grandson will feel jarring to the audience. Do we want them jarred? That's another question. It's certainly possible to argue that that will feed into the story we are trying to tell of the passage of time and the difference between the immortal and mortal perspectives. But it does mean that whoever was on screen in any prior episode needs to....be dead soon.

Some characters can get away with having an unclear place in the genealogy - we've already called out Adanel as one such character. She needn't be from the line of the chieftain, she needn't be anyone's mother or sister. We can connect her to other characters - make her Amlach's cousin and Emeldir's grandmother, that's fine. But we don't have to make any effort to fit her into a particular generation or a particular year. Her main role is as a wise woman who is a mentor to Andreth. Her role as supporting character to Andreth will make sense without much explanation of family trees, outside of pointing out that she married into the House of Bëor.

For other characters - we run into trouble. The House of Hador from Hador on is fine; the House of Hador in the time before Hador can likely be left murky. How many generations exist between Amlach and Hador, and what is their relationship? The viewer will likely never know. But can we actually hold that council without calling out who is whose son, and what their relationships are to one another? That's probably...more difficult. We know we will want Bereg and Fake!Amlach to speak. We will likely use Adanel there as well. I hear you, Alcarohtar, that there can be an excuse for the chieftain to be 'off with the elves' at the time, but...why wouldn't the chieftain be at the council? If you hold a council without him or his heir present, are you really planning a rebellion/coup? Either way, at this point, you now have a lot of voices to introduce, and even if Amlach and Bereg are the main ones, we'll have to establish anyone else who isn't just standing around murmuring. And...every single one of those characters introduced will be dead and history by the next episode. To my mind, it might be easiest if there is no clear chieftain; if each 'clan' has their own leader, and they're a not-so-cohesive group. That would explain the 'dithering' thing - there are actually multiple voices and none of them is in charge. So, sure, we can have Malach, and he rules his own house...but maybe he doesn't get to speak for Amlach's house? Or something like that.

When I said that I wanted characters' stories to overlap, mostly what that means is that I want all of our 'main character' Men to get at least 3 episodes of screen time (if their story justifies this). Is there a way to do that while following the existing timeline and merely 'skipping ahead' at points? Perhaps. We could introduce Bëor, tell Haleth's and Amlach's stories, and then come back to a dying ancient Bëor because so much time has passed. I'm hardly suggesting that such an adaptation is impossible. I am saying that if Bëor enters Beleriand in 310 and the Dagor Bragollach is in 455, we are going to run into issues with characters dying off in a more condensed fashion, though. The story is going to feel choppy and frantic if it has to cover more time. It will seem like it has more time to breathe if we shorten the years/generations a bit. I am not okay with trying to tell Haleth's entire story in one episode. I want Haleth to have 3 episodes. And that means...that time can't just be skipping ahead 50 years whenever we want it to.

'Creating more work for us' is not actually a reason to avoid making an adaptation choice. Just using what is already there is fine - if it works the way it is. Putting in the effort to create something new over the course of an adaptation project is both expected and desired. In this case, there are a handful of rules to keep in mind while constructing family trees (namely, that people are the appropriate age to be related to the people we want them to be related to), and I am pretty sure we can come up with some good working ones if we need to. Tolkien inserted about 200 years into the First Age, in order to get Men having enough generations. We can keep that...I'm just asking that we shift 50 of those years into the 'pre-Beleriand' days, and keep the remaining family trees in the FA 360-455 range. That allows for the following characters to all be alive at the mid-season point: Haleth, Boromir, Bereg, Amlach, Andreth, and Hador.

The goal of our adaptation this Season is for the audience to really get to know Bëor, Haleth, Andreth, and Hador. There will be other people - they all get supporting characters, of course! And sure, generations could be born and die off screen. But we want to connect our Men to each other in the least confusing way possible. Multiple silent generations offscreen...is not the least confusing option.

Last edited:
Okay, so....what, if any, limitations does this timeline give us?

index.php

Following this timeline, the death of Bëor must occur before the Battle at the Stockade. So, that means we cannot introduce Haleth until after Bëor has died.

Likewise, the Council at which Bereg and Amlach will speak must happen roughly around the time of the Battle at the Stockade, because Bereg and Amlach must be adults at that time. They are Haleth's contemporaries, after all. But we want that story to happen after the Stockade Battle. Overlapping is not helpful if they are parts of completely different stories. Overlapping is meant for characters to interact with each other and have relationships. Not just for Bëor to acknowledge his heir from his deathbed, but for the audience to understand what the dynamic was between them. Which...is a bit easier if they're on screen together. Not by making Bëor impossibly old, but rather by having some of our later characters alive while he is younger. In other words...have Bëor born after 262, so that he can live past 355. Eliminating at least one of the two 'filler' generations thus has a storytelling purpose...of giving Bëor a relationship with Bereg and Boromir.

So, given that, our story for Men in the first half of the Season would look like this:

Episode 1: Bëor meets Finrod and becomes his Vassal. (310)
Episode 2: Elf stuff (probably Aredhel in Gondolin)
Episode 3: Wow, Bëor died already. I was not expecting that! Better put 15 year old Bereg on screen here and introduce Boromir. (355)
Episode 4: Haleth - Battle of the Stockade (375)
Episode 5: House of Hador, Green Elves, and Council (375 ish)
Episode 6: Elf stuff (Aredhel in Nan Elmoth; Haleth trying to get through Doriath)

Are there other ways to do this? Yes. But if we preserve this timeline, we are forced to kill off Bëor as soon as possible, and we are forced to tell Haleth and Amlach's stories back-to-back. Because we can't introduce the House of Hador until after the Stockade Battle, that means the incident with the Green Elves will be a minor footnote at the beginning of the episode with the Council. Maybe we could split it up into two episodes by having it mixed in with the Haleth and Aredhel stuff, so that Episodes 4-6 all take place at roughly the same time.

Is the middle of the season any better?

Episode 7: Haleth in Brethil, Andreth and Aegnor's love story (380)
Episode 8: Athrabeth, Boromir as Lord of Ladros (390)
Episode 9: Elf stuff (Aredhel's return to Gondolin and Death) (400)

For Episodes 10-13, only Andreth and Hador and their accessory characters will be around. We can introduce Barahir to take Boromir's place at this point.

Episode 10: Finally, Hador! He best do something cool. Pass of Aglon Battle or something. (410-420)
Episode 11: Elf stuff; Hador as Lord of Dor-lomin; Death of Boromir; Introduce Barahir; Andreth tells young Beren stories (430s)
Episode 12: Dagor Bragollach; Deaths of Hador, Bregolas (455)
Episode 13: Fingolfin's Duel; Andreth's philosophical commentary (456)

So, our main character Men, how often and when do they appear?

Bëor: Episodes 1 and 3
Haleth: Episodes 4, 6, & 7
Andreth: Episodes 7, 8, 11, and 13
Hador: Episodes 10-12

Ancillary Characters appearing in more than one episode:
Bereg: 3, 5
Amlach: 5, ?
Boromir: 3, 7, 8, 11
Barahir: 11, 13
Adanel: 5, 7
Hador's kids: 11, 12, 13

That's not too bad. Bëor got shortchanged by rushing to his death; hopefully the audience will like Boromir, who will be a much more fleshed out character this way. Could we work with this? Possibly. But is this the best possible way to tell our story...not necessarily. We're forced to condense things and put them in a particular order because of when the characters are born and when they die. I think that Corey Olsen's contention all along has been, let's figure out the story we want to tell, and what order the events will make sense in from a storytelling perspective, and build a working timeline based on that. So, naturally, the impetus to shift Bëor forward in the timeline so he can last past year 355 is pretty strong, as well as the desire to give most of the 'tasks' of his house to him. Since Haleth's story is independent, fitting her in isn't too hard...but making her the 'early' story makes everything else happen after 375.

Last edited:
But both are more confusion than seeing the relationship with both characters onscreen.
Certainly but I am 100% unconvinced that cutting people out is the best idea (even if they're just names). I'm in the "don't show every generation" camp.

What I mean is, I see what you guys are saying, and that will make a story, and I won't miss the names cut out, but I will certainly miss the feel of generations of Men and their living and dying. I think the cutting out solution is 1) changing things unnecessarily and with little faith in how much viewers can understand and with lack of trust in how little information they need to follow a story, and 2) throws away the opportunity to actually show how the short lifespans of Men really appear to the Elves.

What I mean is, I see what you guys are saying, and that will make a story, and I won't miss the names cut out, but I will certainly miss the feel of generations of Men and their living and dying. I think the cutting out solution is 1) changing things unnecessarily and with little faith in how much viewers can understand and with lack of trust in how little information they need to follow a story, and 2) throws away the opportunity to actually show how the short lifespans of Men really appear to the Elves.

You could frame it as a lack of faith or an awareness of reality. :) And Prof. Olsen's case that we avoid the things that cause people to put the Silmarillion down forever seems to indicate the latter is valid.

As to your second point, I don't think it's necessary to have entire generations of men live and die between episodes or scenes to illustrate the comparative transience of human life. Beorn will die of old age while Finrod appears unchanged. None of the characters alive at the beginning of the season will be alive by the end. Some will even be born, live, and die over the course of it.

I guess my question is: how many generations have to pass over the course of a season for you to feel the point of human impermanence is sufficiently made?

As I see it, there are opportunities for light modification, and opportunities for heavy modification, but 'no modification' results in the isolation and early death of Bëor. I want to at least give him time on screen to interact in a meaningful way with Bereg and Boromir. Baran, Belen, Boron - I am not opposed to these characters silently existing, but I am opposed to them 'taking up space' in the timeline so that Bereg is a teenager when his great grandfather Bëor dies of old age.

If you are *lucky*, you meet your great-grandfather when you are a child, and someone says, 'Let's take a photo with all 4 generations!' Very few people have a meaningful relationship with their great-grandparents. If that is the story we are trying to tell, fine - that Bëor's descendants don't understand him and don't follow in his footsteps. If we want Bëor to be a minor character in the season, so that after he meets Finrod, he does nothing else and the story moves on without him, we can do that. But...I have not heard anyone say that what they really want is an entire opening episode dedicated to introducing Men solely focused on Bëor, and then the next time we see him is just a brief follow up scene of him 'living with the Elves' (no other Men around), followed by the episode where he dies of old age surrounded by (unnamed) family. That feels like a wasted opportunity, and that just as the audience gets to know Bëor, we swap him out for a character from a later generation.

If Bëor is the father or grandfather of Boromir and Bereg, they can be introduced with him in Episode 1 and we can see their relationship and dynamic. And we then aren't 'forced' to kill Bëor off as soon as possible. We can keep him around for a bit, let him be part of the story.

It's more difficult to trim generations later in the story. By deciding that Andreth is the thematic main character among Men, we're giving heavy preference to her contemporaries. The more removed from her someone is on the timeline/family tree...the less likely we can include them in certain episodes. That is part of the motivation to cut Bregolas (but keep Bregor), and to make Barahir her younger brother rather than her nephew.

Again, we don't necessarily have to do these things. But the motivation for pruning is to allow important characters a) more screen time and b) more meaningful interactions with other characters in the story.

You could frame it as a lack of faith or an awareness of reality. :) And Prof. Olsen's case that we avoid the things that cause people to put the Silmarillion down forever seems to indicate the latter is valid.
This project is about a tv adaptation, not a book, so there’s a difference.

I guess my question is: how many generations have to pass over the course of a season for you to feel the point of human impermanence is sufficiently made?
It’s not just about impermanence, it’s the mass of Men coming and going. We should try to convey that feeling.

As I see it, there are opportunities for light modification, and opportunities for heavy modification, but 'no modification' results in the isolation and early death of Bëor. I want to at least give him time on screen to interact in a meaningful way with Bereg and Boromir. Baran, Belen, Boron - I am not opposed to these characters silently existing, but I am opposed to them 'taking up space' in the timeline so that Bereg is a teenager when his great grandfather Bëor dies of old age.

If you are *lucky*, you meet your great-grandfather when you are a child, and someone says, 'Let's take a photo with all 4 generations!' Very few people have a meaningful relationship with their great-grandparents. If that is the story we are trying to tell, fine - that Bëor's descendants don't understand him and don't follow in his footsteps. If we want Bëor to be a minor character in the season, so that after he meets Finrod, he does nothing else and the story moves on without him, we can do that. But...I have not heard anyone say that what they really want is an entire opening episode dedicated to introducing Men solely focused on Bëor, and then the next time we see him is just a brief follow up scene of him 'living with the Elves' (no other Men around), followed by the episode where he dies of old age surrounded by (unnamed) family. That feels like a wasted opportunity, and that just as the audience gets to know Bëor, we swap him out for a character from a later generation.

If Bëor is the father or grandfather of Boromir and Bereg, they can be introduced with him in Episode 1 and we can see their relationship and dynamic. And we then aren't 'forced' to kill Bëor off as soon as possible. We can keep him around for a bit, let him be part of the story.

It's more difficult to trim generations later in the story. By deciding that Andreth is the thematic main character among Men, we're giving heavy preference to her contemporaries. The more removed from her someone is on the timeline/family tree...the less likely we can include them in certain episodes. That is part of the motivation to cut Bregolas (but keep Bregor), and to make Barahir her younger brother rather than her nephew.

Again, we don't necessarily have to do these things. But the motivation for pruning is to allow important characters a) more screen time and b) more meaningful interactions with other characters in the story.
So if we cut Bregolas, who's the father of his sons Baragund and Belegund (and by extension Morwen and Rian’s grandfather)?

Last edited:
This project is about a tv adaptation, not a book, so there’s a difference.

It’s not just about impermanence, it’s the mass of Men coming and going. We should try to convey that feeling.

Indeed there is a difference, and I think that difference cuts in favor of making the story more accessible to more people than the book rather than the other way around.

And my question can be modified to: how many humans must come and go to make the point you are describing?

Silmarillion is an Elven story, but we can’t tell some of the stories of Men without doing so from their perspective. So, I’d say both.
Maybe there’s a shift from Elven protagonists to human protagonists? Finrod may be the focal character for the first meetings with Men, he’d be the person who’d be present at Beor’s death of old age, the subject of the Athrabeth, and might bookend the season with the Dagor Bragollach. But after this season there is a definite shift into human protagonists and the Elves become supporting characters (with the exception of Luthien); Beren and Luthien are the main characters of their season, Hurin might be the main protagonist of the Nirnaeth story, Turin of the Children of Hurin, Tuor for the Fall of Gondolin, and Earendil for the Voyage of Earendil and the War of Wrath.

Of course the main outlier is Aredhel which is mainly self-contained in Gondolin and Nan Elmoth.

Indeed there is a difference, and I think that difference cuts in favor of making the story more accessible to more people than the book rather than the other way around.
A fair perspective but I don’t see it that way. I think you’re making too much of this. You can’t say I want to make the story more complicated or less accessible. I’m not totally against simplifying things. I don’t want to hear every Man named in the book, or even see them. I just want our story to acknowledge the generations of Men. Now I want us to focus on the same individuals as you do, so again, the difference shouldn’t be enormous.

(Adding this to the top of the post after I finished writing the rest: I think this will be the last time I argue about this - I'm not going to beat on it eternally. I'll be fine and move on, accepting the decision of the execs and the leadership of the script team. No harm no foul.)

Skipping from Bëor directly to Bëor's great-grandson will feel jarring to the audience. Do we want them jarred?

Someone else hinted at this upthread. Whose perspective is this series showing? If it is from the Elves' perspective, then yes, we do want the audience to be jarred. "Who are these mayflies?" ask the Elves and the audience.

I don't think that now is the time to shift from the Elf perspective to the Man perspective. I'm not sure if that's right for any point in the Quenta - we might go to the individual perspectives of three specific Men (Beren, Turin, Tuor), but two of those three are still basically Elf stories start to finish, and even Turin's story has lots of Elves in it - but the overall story up through the sinking of Beleriand is an Elf story.

I remember making up a fun little tongue-in-cheek vignette a few weeks ago about this. For the Elves, this will be jarring to no end. For humans talking to humans in real life, it is stupid and irrelevant to name your ancestors for 4-5 generations upon meeting, because nobody cares, nobody met them, they are dust. If it's dialogue in a TV show about humans, it's clunky exposition. For Men talking to Elves, I am certain that the custom would develop for a friendly first-time meeting, for a notable Man to state their most notable ancestors because the Elf may have met and known any of them. If this practice was developed on-screen, so we can see for the first instance or two why it is so helpful, then it all of a sudden isn't clunky exposition, it's a known tradition. The Elf might then, by custom, refer to the Man explicitly by the relation to the ancestor then knew. Finrod might refer to Barahir as "greatson of Beor" for instance. This way, even if Barahir and Beor never appear on screen together because their lives never overlap, you still get this explicit link between them. Does it matter if "greatson" means "grandson" or "great-great-grandson"? Not really.

I am imagining a Man introducing himself to an Elf, listing off his longfathers, and the Elf's eyes lighting up at the mention of one name in there.

I guess I'm not demanding adherence to the holy texts, so much as still not really seeing the prize of diverging. The default is to stick to the text, and then if there's a reason we go our own way. Absolutely agreed, enthusiastically agreed. I just still am not seeing a prize here for divergence.

We already know that the prize is NOT "we need to compress the timeline". That's an outcome, not a goal.
Is the prize "we need to have all of our characters show up on screen with each other for continuity purposes"? (paraphrased from posts from Nicholas)
Is the prize "nobody wants to have all of these dull 'begats' like from that notoriously unpopular book, the Old Testament"? (paraphrased from posts by MithLuin)

Is there some other prize that I m just not grasping? I'm not convinced that either of those prizes (if I have the essence of them correct, which I might not) are worth changing the story for.

I think we can attain a lot of what I think are the prizes with precise surgical alterations to individual entries in the family trees, without deleting 100 years and 3 generations across the board. Beor lives a little bit longer, Hador is born a little bit sooner and stays hale and hearty a bit longer than you'd maybe expect, maybe one generation gets skipped in one line somewhere where the dates don't quite sync up and we need someone born when their "canon" mother would only be 7 in our modified genealogy. We hear a bit about the "begats" when Men are introduced to Elves, but we don't see all of the off-screen lives of uninteresting people.

But...I have not heard anyone say that what they really want is an entire opening episode dedicated to introducing Men solely focused on Bëor
*raises hand* This is something I am starting to think is necessary, in order to give us as much Bëor as early as possible. Show us what he is looking for and why it's such a big deal to him when he meets Finrod.

Is the prize "we need to have all of our characters show up on screen with each other for continuity purposes"? (paraphrased from posts from Nicholas)

To clarify, we need to have continuity between the characters that appear on the screen. Whomever they are. Specifically because they won't be there long enough to matter otherwise

*raises hand* This is something I am starting to think is necessary, in order to give us as much Bëor as early as possible. Show us what he is looking for and why it's such a big deal to him when he meets Finrod.
Well, the Men first thought he was one of the Valar, right? Perhaps they are looking for the Valar, those who are good and associated with light? Then Finrod has to let them down gently, that he is not one of the Valar and that the only Valar close by is the evil entity your ancestors fled from, or just plain bad news.

Back