Session 5-08: Storylines of Men - Andreth and Barahir

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Session 5-08 will be held on Thursday July 2nd at 10 PM Eastern Time. We intend to finish up the discussion of the storylines of Men by focusing on Andreth (and also Barahir). Please keep in mind the discussions already covered concerning Andreth's role in the season when suggesting details of her storyline.

As we have now shaped the timelines of some of our main characters among Men, it is also possible to craft some family trees that meet the requirements of Season 5. Now would be a good time to try to iron out some of the details there.

Also, as a point of Housekeeping - anyone who wishes their ideas to be included verbatim in the notes I pass along to the Execs prior to each session is welcome to post in this thread: https://forums.signumuniversity.org...f-the-silmarillion-film-project-podcast.3204/
I do ask that, if you wish to do this, you post your ideas no later than the Tuesday prior to the session. Posts made later than that are not guaranteed to be included. I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed if I left something out, and posting earlier assures I will not miss your post. Also, please keep your messages there BRIEF - one short paragraph is the idea.

Last edited:
For Andreth: what attracts Aegnor to her? For Barahir, we’ll have to figure out the succession in some way; he’s going to be the younger brother yet is given command over his elder brother’s sons.

Also, would this be a good time to start discussing the physical appearance of the Edain? We have some descriptions, and the Hosts were upfront with how Haleth should look.

No, we will discuss that (in a Session, I mean), after we get to the main part of the season (we are currently in pre-season, where we focus on storylines). When we get to that, we will divide our sessions between discussing episodes and discussing the artistic challenges - which will include the overall plan for the ethnic characteristics of the three Houses of the Edain. If people want to start discussing that on the threads in the casting forum, they are welcome to.

I think props and costumes are the most important way to mark ethnicity (beside language). Clothing will also be influenced by climate and avaiable materials, but colours and cut can be used to show both ethnic and social identity. The same goes for jewelry, like broches did historically (in addition to fasten clothes). Shape and decoration of utensils (like pottery) are also common indicators of ethnic identity as well.

After all, the final look of the characters can be fixed by the make-up department.

Why? Hollywood does it all the time. Lena Headey wasn't a blonde, but played Cersei anyway.

Yeah, hair color isn't the issue. This may not be widely known outside the States, but for a long while, white performers would paint themselves black and mock stereotypes of black people. As a result, today there is blowback from anything that even reminds people of that sort of thing.

Changeing hair and eye color, is what I am thinking of. That seem to be what Tolkien talked about. Height and bodyshape might be better be left to good casting-choises. I did not think about skin-color, as I was thinking of seperating the three houses of the Edain.

I asumed five ethnic groups of men, the House of Bëor, the House of Haleth, the House of Hador, the Sons of Bór, and the Sons of Ulfang.

Changeing hair and eye color, is what I am thinking of. That seem to be what Tolkien talked about. Height and bodyshape might be better be left to good casting-choises. I did not think about skin-color, as I was thinking of seperating the three houses of the Edain.

I asumed five ethnic groups of men, the House of Bëor, the House of Haleth, the House of Hador, the Sons of Bór, and the Sons of Ulfang.
Aren’t the Sons of Bor and the Sons of Ulfang both Easterlings?

I think we'll have to be careful in how we portray the Easterlings...

Also, is anyone willing to discuss how Andreth and Barahir are related to each other? In the text, Andreth is Bregolas and Barahir's aunt; her elder brother Bregor, a noted marksman, is their father. He's dead by the Dagor Bragollach and the lord of the House is Bregolas, but he is killed in the Dagor Bragollach and the lordship falls to Barahir instead of Bregolas's sons Baragund and Belegund. We'll have to establish a reason for that, as well as how the family tree goes. But we have to keep Baragund and Belegund since they're Morwen and Rian's fathers and we don't want to screw up the family tree so close to recent events. We have a week.

Last edited:
Well, that is Nick's chart, and he did suggest making Amlach and Bereg more 'middle-aged' while Hador is a young man.

They are old enough to call the Council themselves, and not have that seem unusual. I would be fine with them being a generation older than Hador.

Back