Session 5-15 & 5-16: Season Outline

Hello good people, what would you think of the idea that Celegorm & Curufin and the refugees of Himlad/Aglon are driven to the borders of Doriath and are denied passage through by the march wardens. They then attempt to escape via nan dungortheb only to incur many losses among their people and as a last resort have to travel the long way around to Nargothrond. This will help the viewer to understand the great enmity the C brothers have for Thingol & Doriath which will bear fruit in later Seasons and maybe also show some heroics from Huan as well.

I feel uncomfortable having characters go through Nan Dungortheb thrice in a season, to be honest ^^ We didn't want to deviate from Tolkien's version two times already: Aredhel goes to Nan Dungortheb on her trip to the Feanorians and Haleth leads her people through there on their search for a new home. Just going around Doriath in the south was the better idea for both of them, but they need to make a bad decision for story reasons; the same would apply here. How many justifications for going through there we can inject into our version remains to be seen. Also, in this season and the beginning of the next, everyone is suddenly going there...and then it'll barely ever appear again, which feels kind of weird.

I like the consequences of your story, though :) I think they work without Nan Dungortheb if they ask the march wardens (I don't know why Thingol has march wardens outside of Brethil to be honest, but I don't think viewers will question it much if we don't emphasize their job description) for refuge and assistance (military, medical, other supplies or whatever) and get denied because they're kinslayers (and may even talk Quenya among themselves). Then they go the long way around to Nargothrond.

I think this is just a misunderstanding. The text has Galdor survive the DB, but his uncle (and father who's likely dead in our version) die. If Gundor is Galdor's brother, we can have him die in that part of the conflict. Possibly Annael's son as well, who is in Fingon's service.
Okay, I think I understand it better since Gundor is slated to die. Annael's son could be 50-50, I can't expect him to survive past the Nirnaeth.

I think this is just a misunderstanding. The text has Galdor survive the DB, but his uncle (and father who's likely dead in our version) die. If Gundor is Galdor's brother, we can have him die in that part of the conflict. Possibly Annael's son as well, who is in Fingon's service.
For further clarification, Galdor is the father of Hurin and Huor. He does eventually die in battle, but not until seven years after the Dagor Bragollach, when Hurin is old enough to take lordship of the house.

Gundor, younger brother of Galdor, can die in the Dagor Bragollach, fighting with Fingolfin's people.

I agree that showing the marchwardens of Doriath turning Celegorm and Curufin away will be useful for story purposes. If we don't have room for that in the finale, it would be possible to show that next season, but hopefully we have room for it. I don't think we want them to go through Nan Dungortheb; they know enough to travel south instead.

Something else I forgot about: do we want to show the corruption of Dorthonion/creation of Taur-nu-Fuin?

Question: of Sauron's crew is there a spot for rank-and-file, you know Orcs? Or is it just going to be Sauron, Thurwingwethil, Draugluin, and Tevildo? More than just a red shirt I mean.

Last edited:
Well there is the group of orcs that Finrod and Beren ambush on the way to take their weapons and gear...but I don't think we should have any orcs at Tol-in-Gaurhoth, unless Huan kills them alongside the Werewolves. I don't see a reason for any of them to be there, and it introduces complications having orcs running around screaming as Luthien throws down the walls :D Maybe there is a significant one with Sauron when they look for Beren in Dorthonion, but all of that feels like something to discuss far into the future.

Well there is the group of orcs that Finrod and Beren ambush on the way to take their weapons and gear...but I don't think we should have any orcs at Tol-in-Gaurhoth, unless Huan kills them alongside the Werewolves. I don't see a reason for any of them to be there, and it introduces complications having orcs running around screaming as Luthien throws down the walls :D Maybe there is a significant one with Sauron when they look for Beren in Dorthonion, but all of that feels like something to discuss far into the future.
The Orcs I had in mind was the group Sauron sent to kill the Band of 13.

I was hoping earlier, so it doesn't feel like he popped out of nowhere.

Whenever the introduction takes place, it will be for the first time. There will be an assault on Minas Tirith in early S06, at which point it would be wholly appropriate for new characters to be attached to Sauron's cadre of evil. If you want, Gorgol could be onscreen leading the warg riders against the Pass of Aglon, but he wouldn't have much in the way of lines.

I think that, as Nick implies, Sauron will be given a bunch of orcs to attack Minas Tirith with. Some of those could then be sent elsewhere, but a number of them should patrol the area around the Isle of Werewolves, and it will be easy for Sauron to use any of them for various purposes.

We could also keep Thuringwethil around to accompany Sauron; with the hosts in favour of making Luthien wear her cape instead of her skin, there's no need for Thuringwethil to die.

We could also keep Thuringwethil around to accompany Sauron; with the hosts in favour of making Luthien wear her cape instead of her skin, there's no need for Thuringwethil to die.
Oooh interesting. She'd be stripped of a lot of her power, a bitter, crawling being. But will we see much of Sauron between Beren&Luthien and the War of Wrath?

Back