Session 5-27: Elves vs Men

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
The next Silm Film session will be held on Thursday March 25th at 10 PM EDT. We will be finishing up our discussion of Episode 5 (which includes the passage of the Haladin through Nan Dungortheb, as well as the Frame story). Then, we will continue to discuss the different worldviews of Elves and Men, following up on our conversation from Session 5-19 in December 2020.

The thread for discussing Episode 5 may be found here:

Discussion of Elves and Men can be held here. In particular, the topics for discussion include:
Nature
Change
Faith/Trust
Friendship/Family
Death
Law

Update 3/26/21: Well, we managed one of those topics! I didn't realize there was so much to discuss about Haleth.

Our next session 5-28 will be held on Thursday April 8th at 10 PM EDT. We will be discussing Episode 6, which introduces Hador and includes the prison break from Angband led by Rhogrin!

Last edited:
The next Silm Film session will be held on Thursday March 25th at 10 PM EDT. We will be finishing up our discussion of Episode 5 (which includes the passage of the Haladin through Nan Dungortheb, as well as the Frame story). Then, we will continue to discuss the different worldviews of Elves and Men, following up on our conversation from Session 5-19 in December 2020.

The thread for discussing Episode 5 may be found here:

Discussion of Elves and Men can be held here. In particular, the topics for discussion include:
Nature
Change
Faith/Trust
Friendship/Family
Death
Law
I could see some discussion regarding family, particularly marriage. Elves marry for love right? Contrast Men who might throw politics into the mix regarding marriage, like increasing ties between Houses of the Edain like Galdor and Gloredhel marrying Hareth and Haldir. Thus it’s going to look strange from the Elvish perspective (particularly Thingol) that Curufin is attempting to force Luthien to marry Celegorm. Why Curufin thought his scheme to unite the Elven kingdoms, while fine on paper, would work is beyond me, since Elves would rather commit suicide rather than be raped (Maeglin apparently didn’t factor that into the equation when he tried to rape Idril).

What was said in the session?
Much of it was a discussion of Episode 5: the Haladin in Nan Dungortheb. There was a discussion of torches and the Haladin’s weaponry, but after that my device gave out and I didn’t catch anything else after that.

Slightly off-topic but urgent. There is a link for the new Silmfilm Session this evening. We're working on getting it out, but message me if you see this first.

Outside of the competitions that were discussed as part of the House of Hador (in the context of the Episode 6 discussion) and means of production, I might sit this next session out since there's not much I can offer.

Back