Session 6-03: Sauron and Thuringwethil

I think the thing I’m conscious of is when you are telling a story in a visual medium, whenever you can, show it rather than talk about it. Having her die off screen, or even on screen but as a throw away, is far less satisfying.

I personally had one idea that introduces Thuringwethil as a direct threat to our heroes and ties her story into theirs and justifies her dramatic demise without exposing her at large. But I honestly I dont know how people will respond to it. My use is to have Thuringwethil (perhaps having separated from Sauron based on his rasher, power driven motives) try to help his plans in her own secretive manner by acting as a seductress to Beren in the wild, understanding even one lone figure can pose a threat (she’d surely recognise that truth). And maybe visits Beren on the boundaries of Doriath and attempts to seduce him.

She could be this recurring shadow following them throughout their journey and popping up when Beren is alone. I think it’s be inaccurate to have him actually seduced (though I’m probably more flexible on that than others) but it’d be interesting if he never mentions to Luthien he keeps being visited by this woman. He should feel some kinship with her that makes him value this bizarre connection. And maybe Thuringwethil gains something too. Maybe she recognises something in him, someone who listens now Sauron won’t. I don’t want a romantic relationship per say, but I hint of trouble that threatens the core relationship we care about. Ongoing drama that followers our heroes about. She is a potential test on this burgeoning relationship between man and elf.

I like the idea of there being a real sense of seeing the choice of Beren and Luthien to be with one another and rejecting other choices. But it also sets Thuringwethil up as an antagonist not only physically but relationally. And when she takes human form in the final battle and Beren recognises her, boy oh boy, he’d be angry.

She could even be going after Luthien as Luthien goes after Sauron and Beren ends his fight with (Gorgol???) and chooses to fight this threat to Luthien physically and relationally. He lets go of all other pulls, be it vengeance or the choice of easier to understand partners, and commits fully to leave who he was being and being Luthien’s entirely. She doesn’t need to make that choice. She made it long ago at their first meeting. Maybe the fact she doesn’t seem to struggle with choices and loyalties is something Beren finds hard, how does he know she chose him really if it took no strain. Maybe that idea is something he snd Thuringwethil bond over. But really, the audience has been in Menegroth and seen Luthien torn between Beren and her people. She just doesn’t emote as eagerly and as suddenly as him. She mulls things longer. But she never doubted her choice in him. That shows real difference between man and elf and a great tension between them that is reconciled in this big dramatic fight where Beren realises all other paths are futile and hollow and unfulfilling; setting up the pair to be stronger than ever as they head of to face Morgoth.

Last edited:
Just need to avoid even the slightest whiff of a Thuri.-Beren-Luthien love triangle...

I personally don’t hate that if I’m honest. In a testing capacity. But what you can do to avoid that is play it as his platonic interest and searching for family versus her initially seductive intentions being converted by his honest nature into her actually enjoying his company. Which could be even more sinister if her own reasons for stalking them have shifted. If she know actually likes him as a person. How will that affect her mission? She has some interesting character growth in her final arc. And then you have the two fight. And fights should always come when emotions are too big for talking about. So you have these two people who recognised themselves in the other now locking blades to protect those they are truly loyal to.

I am fairly strongly opposed to casting Thuringwethil in a 'seductress' role in Silm Film. It's not that she can't do that. It's that it's a rather cliched idea that women throw themselves at people to cause mischief, and that therefore villainous women are also rather strongly tempted to use that as a 'tool' in their arsenal...whereas villainous men are almost never considered for that type of role. I mean, no one is going to suggest that Sauron attempt to seduce Lúthien rather than turn into a wolf and fight Huan, right? So why is it that 'seducing Beren' would be Thuringwethil's go-to move? And already, in Thuringwethil's most significant, direct interactions with Elves and Men, we've had to navigate how she handles those interactions, and how the audience will perceive her intentions. With Círdan, she has a private one-on-one conversation with him. She stresses her vulnerability so that she can speak with him alone, but we had a lot of concern about neither of them moving into one another's personal space, because that might look like she was trying to put the moves on Círdan or seduce him, or make the audience question his motives in interacting with her (he's a single elf, she appears to be a single elf....). Likewise, when Thuringwethil attempts to take out Hador at the Council in Estolad, we discussed on the podcast how she would go about this in a way that does not appear incompetent (she does fail, after all), and also avoid her 'luring' him away under pretenses. The eventual decision was to have her attack him in his sleep, and he wakes up and fights her off. Naturally, her nighttime vampire visits to Annael while he is sleep-walking are going to have heavy overtones. But, again - she's not actually trying to seduce him, and nothing sexual happens, so the overtones are as far as it goes.

If she approaches Beren in an attempt to seduce him, that is a shift in her behavior and character, and it is not one I am comfortable with making. If she is an 'indirect' villain to our heroes - they don't know what trouble she has caused, and perhaps don't even know her name - that is okay, so long as we find a meaningful end to her story. Because the audience knows her. An early suggestion in this season is that she can be involved in the necromancy project, and her death can be a direct result of that. Other suggestions are possible, so long as we can see why that particular story arc matters for her story, and the overall story of the season. Connecting her to Beren, Lúthien, or Huan is possible...but not necessary. There are other storylines she can connect to. What's happening at Nargothrond will be discussed later, but obviously it will involve having Orodreth, Gil-galad, Finduilas, Celebrimbor, Celegorm, Curufin, and Finrod all under one roof. It is true that the location of Nargothrond is unknown to the villains at this time, and finding out this location would likely be an important step in Sauron's (unrealized) conquest of Beleriand plan. So, I am not opposed with having Thuringwethil attempt to spy out the entrance, and if she is thwarted, that would be a decent way to establish the effectiveness of the Guarded Plain, prior to Beren's arrival there.

I can see that from a character shift perspective. But she needs to tie into this I feel. Or else we could just have her be a background villain and then readily dispatched but that seems a bit of a shames It’d seem odd that we’ve built her up not to have her be prominent before her demise. I feel she should get some limelight and as the primary force of this season is love, we need a clear opposition to that. I honestly don’t hate Sauron as a seducer FYI and actually does seem to be his wheelhouse but as he is in Tol-In-Ghauroth and would not really interact with Beren until his capture it makes no sense for him to attempt to seduce Beren. Again, I don’t think Beren need to romantically seduced even if the seducer had intended it. I’m not even saying we need a SEDUCTER in that sexual sense explicitly. But something should pull on him. I feel the relationship between B&L needs earning. I think we need to see choices be made. I still think Thuringwethil as a wedge can work with some more experimenting but I did assume people would be opposed. I just think we need to expand a lot of the characters and their stories. Particularly this season. It’s such a beautifully streamlined narrative compared to most of the Silmarillion but also has very little in terms of character so there is the chance to flesh people out. And since so much has been done with Thuringwethil, this really feels like she’s earned her big moment this season to be the real enemy to the one thing we care about: Beren and Luthien. If not her, I do think something should test the relationship. Not just from without (aka Thingol) but from within. So we can root for that to be overcome. I think giving that to Luthien is wrong, but on Beren’s part makes sense. He can be infatuated and enchanted by this elves princess but he still has draws from his old life. Whether it’s vengeance or seeking someone who he feels better understands the darkness of the world. Whatever it may be, there needs to be a victory and something to overcome before facing Sauron.

I’m still gutted we haven’t gone for a Beleg-Mablung relationship that could come into play this season but c’est la vie

I agree.The vampirish femme fatale is overused and hoakey...
Besides with casting and costume design and storytelling so far we did our best to avoid typical vampiric cliches with Thuringwethil...
She doesn't even look dangerous, she has an almost sweet inncocence about her -at first! She definitely still has her fangs and claws of steel and can use them deadly if needed... i'd like to see that! But so far she's been mostly on the devious, scheming, spying side of things, not the Killing one.

I agree.The vampirish femme fatale is overused and hoakey...
Besides with casting and costume design and storytelling so far we did our best to avoid typical vampiric cliches with Thuringwethil...
She doesn't even look dangerous, she has an almost sweet inncocence about her -at first! She definitely still has her fangs and claws of steel and can use them deadly if needed... i'd like to see that! But so far she's been mostly on the devious, scheming, spying side of things, not the Killing one.

I’ll be honest, I’d not even thought of the seductive qualities of vampiric lore, I was purely thinking of a non-combatative opponent the two are faced with. She certainly fit the bill in that sense and the angle fleshed her out with more story-centrality. But now it’s been raised I see it leaning on a trope of lore that exists outside our narrative as we don’t have a traditional vampire and I’d not want her to be read as such. I still think the relationship needs testing snd straining in an overt sense and I still think Thuringwethil needs a strong arc that her ties into our protagonists’ journey but those don’t necessarily need to go hand in hand if we can find better candidates

I'll admit that a lot of the stuff with necromancy is over my head a bit. Also, I'm not in agreement with Gorgol showing up later; the idea is that Beren starts with Gorgol and fights for four years alone against those who invaded his homeland; it isn't just revenge.

Meanwhile, I do have an idea for where Sauron goes after Taur-nu-fuin; he could go to Eriador and set up shop with the barrow-wight business. I suggested it during the last podcast but it got swept under the rug.

I'll admit that a lot of the stuff with necromancy is over my head a bit. Also, I'm not in agreement with Gorgol showing up later; the idea is that Beren starts with Gorgol and fights for four years alone against those who invaded his homeland; it isn't just revenge.

Didn’t realise we were doing a four year journey. May have missed that. Do we know how well show that? What purpose will it serve? Worried it could slow the narrative? I suppose if it’s a montage it can help us get to a wilder Beren faster

Didn’t realise we were doing a four year journey. May have missed that. Do we know how well show that? What purpose will it serve? Worried it could slow the narrative? I suppose if it’s a montage it can help us get to a wilder Beren faster
Well it's part of the book that Beren fights a one-man war in Dorthonion for four years, where his deeds become known to the rest of Beleriand; a price equaling that of Fingon is placed on his head, and because of this Beren is forced to flee Dorthonion for Doriath. We might gloss over that in our treatment.

I believe Eriador would be a distraction... we have little business there so why should Sauron or anybody be interested innthe wild men and elves there at this point?.I think setting up Sauron's necromancy and takeover of Tol Sirion plus Barahirs end could easily make up one episode, then the xonquest of Tol sirion along with berens one man war another, episode 3 would be the latest episode where beren and Luthien could then finally meet. I do believe Thuringwethil could have enough to do to act as a messenger between Sauron and Gorgol in Dorthonion. Also given the chance there might still be a few scenes elsewhere to show...
I do not know when we well see 4hi gols coirt or Finrods court, or pre-sauron Tol Sirion in ep 1-3.Or if we get a glimpse at Morgoths court so soon...

I think Saurons storyline and Dorthonion give enough material for the first two episodes, as both stories need to be fleshed out and told proper.

Well it's part of the book that Beren fights a one-man war in Dorthonion for four years, where his deeds become known to the rest of Beleriand; a price equaling that of Fingon is placed on his head, and because of this Beren is forced to flee Dorthonion for Doriath. We might gloss over that in our treatment.

Oh yeah def get it being in the book. I guess we can use that time frame to serve our story. But I think it’d be best to make sure we save any emotional heft for what we see on screen. And to not have it all happen up top. I don’t think there’s any merit to him meeting Luthien having solved all personal trauma. Need most of his changing to happen through connection to her ideally, right?

I believe Eriador would be a distraction... we have little business there so why should Sauron or anybody be interested innthe wild men and elves there at this point?.I think setting up Sauron's necromancy and takeover of Tol Sirion plus Barahirs end could easily make up one episode, then the xonquest of Tol sirion along with berens one man war another, episode 3 would be the latest episode where beren and Luthien could then finally meet. I do believe Thuringwethil could have enough to do to act as a messenger between Sauron and Gorgol in Dorthonion. Also given the chance there might still be a few scenes elsewhere to show...
I do not know when we well see 4hi gols coirt or Finrods court, or pre-sauron Tol Sirion in ep 1-3.Or if we get a glimpse at Morgoths court so soon...

I think Saurons storyline and Dorthonion give enough material for the first two episodes, as both stories need to be fleshed out and told proper.
Need to decide what Luthien is doing in those first three eps too that has equal drama to Beren then.

Last edited:
Equal? That would be pretty hard to get equal in drama to a guy who gets all of his friends and family killed and fights a one-man war... i don't see that work.

OK, I need to finish reading all of the above, but I wanted to get my thoughts "on paper" as it were before I fall asleep tonight and forget all about it.

I agree with @Rob Harding that tying Thuringwethil more tightly to the Beren & Luthien story is desirable.

My thoughts are to do it early on, having her be the one behind the destruction of Barahir's band. While, as @MithLuin says, that event "has Sauron's fingerprints all over it", our Thuringwethil operates more or less in the same spheres. It would also give her something to do on her own.

As to how to pay that off, there are a few options, but having Beren involved in her death in some way would be my vote. Having her death also involve the released spirits would be even better for ... reasons. I'll dive into that more later.

Equal? That would be pretty hard to get equal in drama to a guy who gets all of his friends and family killed and fights a one-man war... i don't see that work.

You just need to make sure the audience isn’t constantly wanting to go back to Beren. She needs to be an equal player. People need to be invested in both characters before they meet or else Luthien is just supporting cast and it’s Beren’s season. Which is hard as there isn’t much drama for Luthien overtly in the text but I do think it’s there. Thingol is a ruler with his own very specific ways of doing things. In my own version I had Luthien act not simply as a healer but as a courtly advisor, reporting on the internal wellbeing of the nation. I also set up an opposing advisor (I used Saeros in name only really in my take) who was in charge of borders snd external matters. I had him be covering up continued orc activity near their borders and had Luthien uncover this and he reason being that my Saeros met with Thuringwethil and was allowing Sauron’s forces to move through the land unimpeded as he was arranging a coup to overthrow Thingol and be a puppet ruler himself when the land is Sauron’s. I am NOT suggesting we do that as I don’t think it works for this version of the story, but it meant I was able to show Luthien’s growing awareness of threats outside while also protecting her people and there was hopefully tension and high stakes. She got her own action and drives before being tied to Beren

Marvel has had (at least) two recent miniseries with double leads. In other words, the audience is meant to invest nearly equal interest in two different characters' storylines, and these storylines begin as separate from one another. Each of these miniseries/TV shows is only 6 episodes long.

In The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes share screen time. While technically Sam Wilson is the protagonist, Bucky Barnes is carrying a good deal of the story. In the first episode, they do not have any scenes together. So, you have Sam Wilson-centric scenes, and you have Bucky Barnes-centric scenes, but they're in completely different locations, and dealing with separate issues. They do get named-dropped in each other's scenes, though - one of Sam Wilson's scenes takes place in the Captain America museum exhibit which (naturally) features Bucky Barnes. And Bucky Barnes' therapist berates him for ignoring the texts he's gotten from Sam. So, the audience knows they are on a collision course. The event that closes the first episode is something they both react to, and they have actual screentime together in the second episode. This is a buddy cop show, so having 1/6th of the show devoted to them not even being with one another or focused on the same things was an unusual choice, but one which allowed the writers to set up separate issues that they would each need to resolve over the course of the show.

In Hawkeye, the audience is introduced to Kate Bishop, a young archer who looks up to Clint Barton as her hero because she saw him during the battle for New York in Avengers 2012. This is very much her story. We also spend time with Clint Barton (who the audience knows from multiple earlier movies), who has taken his children to New York City for a Christmas holiday. Their storylines begin separately, but they meet at the very end of the first episode. This one is more of a reluctant mentor than a buddy cop dynamic, but the same issue of whether or not the two people acknowledge the other one as their partner is present.

The reason I bring up these two shows is because the storylines begin separately, and are not equally exciting. Hawkeye is quite literally hanging out with three kids and doing touristy stuff. We see him go to a Chinese restaurant with his family and discuss Christmas plans. This is all very low tension stuff. What it is establishing is that Barton has a family, and he wants to be Dad for his kids...which is a tension with the superhero business, which the audience has already seen him do many times. He is on vacation and does not want to be bothered, and has some questions about the legacy the Avengers are leaving. Meanwhile, Kate Bishop is destroying her school's clocktower by accident, finding out her widowed mother is surprise-engaged, and attending an illegal auction that gets attacked by the (admittedly least threatening ever) mob. Only one of these storylines is 'exciting'; the other one is mostly just...awkward and character building with some flashback stuff.

In other words, I do think it very important that Lúthien feature in the first episode, doing whatever she is doing in Doriath, and the audience should anticipate her having a significant role this season....but...we don't need to invent some villainous plot just to make her scenes more exciting. We should see what she's up to, what her opinion is on current world affairs, who she spends her time with, etc. It should make sense when meeting Beren upends her life. Belle yearning for 'more than this provincial life' in Beauty and the Beast, and The Little Mermaid singing wistfully about being 'part of their world' set up what they want out of life that the story is going to explore for them. We should do that for Lúthien as well, but by building on an existing character.

Also, I don't think we should be afraid to wait until Episode 3 (or the final seconds of Episode 2) for Beren and Lúthien to meet. If you can have these other shows wait until 1/6 of the screentime is over to introduce their two main characters to one another...we should be able to pull that off as well.

Last edited:
I agree with @Rob Harding that tying Thuringwethil more tightly to the Beren & Luthien story is desirable.

My thoughts are to do it early on, having her be the one behind the destruction of Barahir's band. While, as @MithLuin says, that event "has Sauron's fingerprints all over it", our Thuringwethil operates more or less in the same spheres. It would also give her something to do on her own.

As to how to pay that off, there are a few options, but having Beren involved in her death in some way would be my vote. Having her death also involve the released spirits would be even better for ... reasons. I'll dive into that more later.

Yes, I am fine with Thuringwethil being the one who sets the trap of the shade of Eilinel for Gorlim. I do think, though, that Gorlim looks more the traitor if Sauron himself is not personally questioning him. Which is maybe fine, but Thuringwethil getting that confession out of him is going to have a different dynamic. There's a reason Tolkien had Maeglin cave to Morgoth himself rather than any underling in the betrayal of Gondolin. But naturally, Gorlim is a very minor character, and his betrayal here is still a betrayal no matter how it happens. The lure is that he thinks they'll restore his wife to him, but obviously that is a false promise, regardless of who made it. So, it's a fairly minor issue.

The more important issue is that while other characters can send a band of orcs to attack, really only Sauron or his minions would pull off the trap for Gorlim.

But if we do use Thuringwethil for the shade of Eilinel, and if that shade is indeed a hungry houseless spirit of some sort, then we will be showing Thuringwethil dabbling in necromancy immediately at the beginning of this season. Since we've seen her 'take on' the role of manipulating Annael for Sauron, seeing her also be a pupil of necromancy would be a reasonable step for her character to take - she wants to know all of Sauron's secrets, as well.

There are still logistics to work out, though. If the fall of Barahir's band is happening more-or-less at the same time as the fall of Tol Sirion...then Thuringwethil likely can't be in both places any more than Sauron could. And if Thuringwethil is the one manipulating Annael, and if Annael is the one who 'opens the gate' or magically lets in the ghosts or whatnot....then would she have to be present to make that happen? Or does Sauron do it directly himself this time?

Marvel has had (at least) two recent miniseries with double leads. In other words, the audience is meant to invest nearly equal interest in two different characters' storylines, and these storylines begin as separate from one another. Each of these miniseries/TV shows is only 6 episodes long.

In The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes share screen time. While technically Sam Wilson is the protagonist, Bucky Barnes is carrying a good deal of the story. In the first episode, they do not have any scenes together. So, you have Sam Wilson-centric scenes, and you have Bucky Barnes-centric scenes, but they're in completely different locations, and dealing with separate issues. They do get named-dropped in each other's scenes, though - one of Sam Wilson's scenes takes place in the Captain America museum exhibit which (naturally) features Bucky Barnes. And Bucky Barnes' therapist berates him for ignoring the texts he's gotten from Sam. So, the audience knows they are on a collision course. The event that closes the first episode is something they both react to, and they have actual screentime together in the second episode. This is a buddy cop show, so having 1/6th of the show devoted to them not even being with one another or focused on the same things was an unusual choice, but one which allowed the writers to set up separate issues that they would each need to resolve over the course of the show.

In Hawkeye, the audience is introduced to Kate Bishop, a young archer who looks up to Clint Barton as her hero because she saw him during the battle for New York in Avengers 2012. This is very much her story. We also spend time with Clint Barton (who the audience knows from multiple earlier movies), who has taken his children to New York City for a Christmas holiday. Their storylines begin separately, but they meet at the very end of the first episode. This one is more of a reluctant mentor than a buddy cop dynamic, but the same issue of whether or not the two people acknowledge the other one as their partner is present.

The reason I bring up these two shows is because the storylines begin separately, and are not equally exciting. Hawkeye is quite literally hanging out with three kids and doing touristy stuff. We see him go to a Chinese restaurant with his family and discuss Christmas plans. This is all very low tension stuff. What it is establishing is that Barton has a family, and he wants to be Dad for his kids...which is a tension with the superhero business, which the audience has already seen him do many times. He is on vacation and does not want to be bothered, and has some questions about the legacy the Avengers are leaving. Meanwhile, Kate Bishop is destroying her school's clocktower by accident, finding out her widowed mother is surprise-engaged, and attending an illegal auction that gets attacked by the (admittedly least threatening ever) mob. Only one of these storylines is 'exciting'; the other one is mostly just...awkward and character building with some flashback stuff.

In other words, I do think it very important that Lúthien feature in the first episode, doing whatever she is doing in Doriath, and the audience should anticipate her having a significant role this season....but...we don't need to invent some villainous plot just to make her scenes more exciting. We should see what she's up to, what her opinion is on current world affairs, who she spends her time with, etc. It should make sense when meeting Beren upends her life. Belle yearning for 'more than this provincial life' in Beauty and the Beast, and The Little Mermaid singing wistfully about being 'part of their world' set up what they want out of life that the story is going to explore for them. We should do that for Lúthien as well, but by building on an existing character.

Also, I don't think we should be afraid to wait until Episode 3 (or the final seconds of Episode 2) for Beren and Lúthien to meet. If you can have these other shows wait until 1/6 of the screentime is over to introduce their two main characters to one another...we should be able to pull that off as well.

Actually these are really great examples of balanced drama. In both series, the dual characters have dramatic stakes set up really early on. In Hawkeye it's really clear that Clint's goal is to spend Christmas with his family. It's a really powerful emotive drive. And everything that then compounds makes it so much harder for this want to be met and you understand just WHY he fights so hard. If you think of drama as only combat or 'action', sure, it's light for him. But the stakes are really high. For me, that was the bigger hook and the question I had was legitmately if he was going to get what he wanted for Christmas. On top of which, we have prior knowledge of Ronin and so when that pops up (I will only talk about stuff in ep1 and/or trailers, I promise) we understand that his violent past will clash with his status as a family man. Really big drama for his story while Kate gets more action sequences. But it is very balanced in terms of drama.

Same for pilot of Falcon and Winter Soldier. You follow Bucky struggling to reconcile his own violent past. His need to make amends and confronting the people has hurt has intense emotional stakes to it and we see clearly the price he is having to pay. Sam is having to deal with the burden placed on him and working out what it means to be a black superhero (both in the public eye and at home). We feel the emotional cost of the weight he carries very tangibly. Drama is very big for both characters. It's really well balanced and involves both separately. They have clear unique motivations, wants, needs and journeys. Which they help the other to meet.

Really good examples we can look at for how to have clear separate stories with large emotional stakes due to needs and obstacles.

I also 100% agree about waiting until episode 3 for them to meet. You need to build them up separately so audiences are invested in them as individuals. It also builds the anticipation of when they will meet.

Back