Session 6-03: Sauron and Thuringwethil

We will be introducing Maiar of Mandos as shepherds of souls of the dead in the first episode of the season. Then, in Episode 2, when Gorlim dies, he will see Thuringwethil's form "beyond the veil"...and it will look like these Maiar.

Maiar of Manwë will also appear this season *waves at Thorondor*, but we did not come up with any way to make that connection pay off.

Is it too late then to posit that Thuringwethil could have been a Maia of Manwe? She has flight, she loves truth in her own twisted way, she hears and sees more than others (like Manwe standing beside Varda).

For the story dealing with death Mandos is more "on topic". Besides - who would stand next to her like Varda?

We will be introducing Maiar of Mandos as shepherds of souls of the dead in the first episode of the season. Then, in Episode 2, when Gorlim dies, he will see Thuringwethil's form "beyond the veil"...and it will look like these Maiar.

Maiar of Manwë will also appear this season *waves at Thorondor*, but we did not come up with any way to make that connection pay off.
Not to mention Olorin is a Maia of Manwë (admittedly he shuffles between several).

Well, we don't know how permanent or fixed the "maia of..." job position is anyway (Melian also seems to have shifted around a bit). I like Thuringwethil being paralleled with the eagles as well, she def. is their baddie counterpart as well. Since we don't use those "Maia of x" definitions explicitely anyway, i don't think it is a problem if some ppl headcanon it a little bit that way too xD, and we also don't need to use those parallels a 100% rigidly literal all the time either, that would be boring too.

That’s a very supportable position, thanks for the clarification. I’m almost caught up on podcast episodes and will start bringing my thoughts to the forums as the conversation kicks off. Thanks!

Back