Session 6-12: The Frame Story

I missed the broadcast today but will catch up over the weekend. I was thinking that Arwen would have no reason to know anything of Aragorn's existence. I'm reminded of Lindir telling Bilbo that 'mortals have not been our study' (or something like that).

She knows her father is fostering her late uncle's descendants. But who specifically is being fostered now she might not care.

And you will give Arwen a job in about 4 years time - hurray - great to know ;) !

Last edited:
I couldn't make the synchronous broadcast but just caught up. Are we using a script discussion to flesh out the frame episode-by-episode or if that'll be the podcast in four weeks? Or is that just being developed on the forums?

We will likely devote a script discussion to working out the Frame story, yes. For now, let's discuss on the forums to get it sorted out a bit.

For this season's frame, we have two parallel stories that overlap a bit at times, but are largely independent of one another. Thus, we need to work out the arc of each story, identify the points at which they overlap, and then map them to episodes where we can choose which of the two to include. There is a request from Corey Olsen to have one Frame story where one scene is from the Aragorn storyline, and the other scene is from the Arwen storyline, and somehow this frames the episode. (Okay, so he requested more than that, but let's see if we can make it happen once as a novelty, rather than make that a goal).

So,
Aragorn's storyline:
  • Elrond tells him his heritage: his name is Aragorn, son of Arathorn
  • At first, his reaction is excitement - I'm somebody!
  • Then, the weight of what he is meant to do comes crushing down...he is working on an impossible task, all alone
  • HE MEETS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN (overlap)
  • He decides that, hey, okay, he still has to do this impossible task, but it's okay, because the world is bigger than his problem, and Arwen exists
  • Gilraen discusses the possibility of marriage to a nice Dunedain girl with Estel (Aragorn), now that he knows who he is. He is not thrilled.
  • Elrond discusses the importance of not marrying before he claims the throne, and Aragorn is much more amenable to this advice.
  • Aragorn decides to adventure in the wild, taking the first steps to work towards his goal.
  • Aragorn and Arwen discuss the Shadow before he leaves, conveying Hope to one another despite the hardships ahead. (overlap)

Arwen's storyline:
  • Living in Lothlórien, Arwen becomes disquieted due to events in the world. She feels the end of the time of the Elves is fast approaching, and that she should do something about that.
  • Arwen reaches the very reasonable conclusion that there is not much hope of anything turning out well. The elves can flee west, and Men can try, but the rise of Sauron feels pretty inevitable at this point.
  • She decides to return to Rivendell and speak with her father. Her role as 'the Evenstar of her people' contrasted with Elrond's role as the preserver of living memory of the Elder days (Rivendell=preserved lore). In what ways is she to be his heir?
  • She meets a cute human kid out in the garden one day. (overlap)
  • She decides that, hey, okay, maybe the defeat isn't so inevitable, and that human kid is rather special - maybe he'll do better than that Numenor mess....
  • Her role as Evenstar is to convey the reality of elvendom forward into the dominion of Men.
  • Aragorn and Arwen discuss the Shadow before he leaves, conveying Hope to one another despite the hardships ahead. (overlap)

Joint storyline: Feeling isolated and overwhelmed, Aragorn and Arwen find estel in their meeting with one another, allowing them both to move forward with their perceived purpose.

Roughly? Something like that. Putting their meeting approximately around Episode 7. At any rate, I have included the correct number of bullet points if we are to have 13 different frames episodes following the description at the top of the post.

I have a very silly thing to insist on but in the end of the frame story I really want Aragorn to be addressed as "my Estel" by Arwen. Though not said in a romantic connotation but just as a statement of him being the reason she regained hope, but it sets up the future really well, especially since she always calls him Estel till the very end of his life

Discussion of the Season 6 Frame continues here:

We will need to come up with Frame scenes for each episode.

Ah, yes. Though it is the first five episodes I will likely be most focused upon, since we already know those placements.

Back