Session 6-19: Art Commissions

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Our next Silm Film podcast will be on Thursday November 17th at 10 PM Eastern time (note that daylight savings time happened recently).

We will be discussing the visual art of Season 6, and giving suggestions about what we hope to see this season. The goal is to talk about the challenges of representing some of elements of the show, and in the process hopefully inspire some of the listeners to take on those challenges and try their hand at depicting scenes, characters, landscapes, or props visually.

As a note, we are not going to use the process where an artist makes a variety of depictions and then we choose one - that is a lot of work, and all art shown on the podcast is created by volunteers who are not paid to participate. Rather, the plan is to showcase all art generated for Season 6 of SilmFilm at the end, and then discuss how that shapes our view of things this season. The purpose of this session is to gather all the suggestions of what we would like to see in one place, to make it easier for an artist to interact with the podcast.

So...what art would you like to see this season? Leave your suggestions here!

Just a few items off the top of my head.

Props: Daeron’s pipe, Beren’s outlaw gear (dress, bow, sword, etc), Barahir’s ring (perhaps already established?), Luthien’s spinning equipment (unless she spins her hair during captivity using only magic), Finrod’s crown (laid aside when he goes questing with Beren)

Landscapes: Dorthonion as it starts to fall under Sauron’s corruption, outlaws camp at Tarn Aeluin, Ered Gorgoroth and Nan Dungortheb (help draw the distinction between the Mountains of Terror and the Valley of Dreadful Death, this has never been clear to me), Tol Sirion (now under Sauron’s influence)

Scenes: Beren’s vision of crows on the camp, the setting for Beren’s attack on the orc band holding his father’s hand (perhaps an anticipation of Turin’s orc capture and rescue by Beleg and Gwindor), Beren’s audience with Thingol (help envision tone and placement of people, more like a feast interrupted or a trial prepared?), Beren’s audience with Felagund (how public?), Luthien’s treehouse in Hirilorn (how does the three-trunk situation work)

I am personally rn very drawn to the magic of this season, (song battles, luthien's song scenes more generally (hirilorn especially)) since it is the big magic season of SilmFilm over all, probably, and how to tie it into the visuals of the show (so, how to depict magic more broadly over the whole show I guess, so this outlier of a season appears as an extraordinary outlier, but still a visually consistent one)

I think over a long time it could be fun to start getting a mental picture of how this show looks, how it employs visual storytelling in the same way we know how our dialogue sounds. (Obviously this is difficult to do in a medium that is audio only for many ppl, and bc it's also not as important to all ppl, but I personally as a very visual person very much enjoy thinking about imagery visual storytelling etc.)

Just a friendly reminder that I do a bit of 3D modeling so I could probably do a few things for props or something. I tried doing Minas Tirith a few years ago, but it took too long and it only made it in partially finished, so I will probably try to stick with something less ambitious this year.

Any ideas for specific props we might want this season? Finrods crown? The Nauglamir? Hirilorn? Probably not Luthien's effing spindle, I stopped reading the forums for like a month when that was all that was being discussed o_O

Just a few items off the top of my head.

Props: Daeron’s pipe, Beren’s outlaw gear (dress, bow, sword, etc), Barahir’s ring (perhaps already established?), Luthien’s spinning equipment (unless she spins her hair during captivity using only magic), Finrod’s crown (laid aside when he goes questing with Beren)

Landscapes: Dorthonion as it starts to fall under Sauron’s corruption, outlaws camp at Tarn Aeluin, Ered Gorgoroth and Nan Dungortheb (help draw the distinction between the Mountains of Terror and the Valley of Dreadful Death, this has never been clear to me), Tol Sirion (now under Sauron’s influence)

Scenes: Beren’s vision of crows on the camp, the setting for Beren’s attack on the orc band holding his father’s hand (perhaps an anticipation of Turin’s orc capture and rescue by Beleg and Gwindor), Beren’s audience with Thingol (help envision tone and placement of people, more like a feast interrupted or a trial prepared?), Beren’s audience with Felagund (how public?), Luthien’s treehouse in Hirilorn (how does the three-trunk situation work)
I started a thread years ago about Beleriand being corrupted (it isn't going to be limited to Dorthonion).
On the Corruption of Beleriand

As far as Beren's gear, I'd imagine a bow and arrows for long-range combat, knives for harvesting (same for Lúthien), his sword Dagmor (buried with Beren when he dies the second time), and a shorter blade like a machete that's lost during his flight from Dorthonion in the Ered Gorgoroth. For clothes a cloak most likely befitting a Ranger. Alan Lee's cover (most likely after Tol-in-Gaurhoth) depicts Beren wearing a mail hauberk, likely from Doriath or material confiscated from Tol-in-Gaurhoth.

As we have already threads for that, beyond the Nauglamir, Bregor's Bow, Beren's sword Dagmor that he looses (in Nan Dungortheb?), Luthien's spindle set, her loom.

Had Tol Sirion a location chosen for it as yet? And Neldoreth?

As we have already threads for that, beyond the Nauglamir, Bregor's Bow, Beren's sword Dagmor that he looses (in Nan Dungortheb?), Luthien's spindle set, her loom.

Had Tol Sirion a location chosen for it as yet? And Neldoreth?
Well, what we know of Neldoreth is primarily beech tree (Neldor is Sindarin for beech) and Hírilorn, the tree Lúthien is placed in, is an especially tall and large one.

Yes, Hirilorn is the beech tree the entire forest of Neldoreth is named after. Hirilorn has three trunks, grown together.

The discussion of Beren's sword Dagmor has been moved to the appropriate thread in the props forum:
Please continue discussing this there.

So, some topics for art discussion for Thursday include:

Costumes
Beren's outlaw gear
Lúthien's traveling clothes and magic cloak
Disguises!

Props
Finrod's jewelry - Crown of Nargothrond, Nauglamir, Ring of Barahir
Beren's equipment - Bow of Bregor, the sword Dagmor
Lúthien's spindle and loom
Daeron's pipe
Narsil and Angrist

Locations
Tarn Aeluin outlaw camp
Nan Dungortheb (off road version)
Hirilorn and Treehouse
Tol Sirion as Tol-in-Gaurhoth
Halls of Mandos

Depiction of Magic
Artistic vision of particular scenes involving magic, of which there are many this season

Other suggestions?

Our Art Session will be held in July! So, please begin thinking about and working on items you would like to share related to the sets, props, locations, characters, scenes, costumes, creatures, etc of Season 6. You may post your work anywhere on the forums, but a link to it in this thread will ensure that it is not overlooked during the session. We look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

We have a soft deadline of one month from now. When the date of the session is finalized, I will announce a hard deadline.

Started preparing for character portraits... cannot yet promise full costumes. Places and artifacts i am out...

2023-06-03 14.13.09.png
Blessed be AI!

Our Art Session will be held in July! So, please begin thinking about and working on items you would like to share related to the sets, props, locations, characters, scenes, costumes, creatures, etc of Season 6. You may post your work anywhere on the forums, but a link to it in this thread will ensure that it is not overlooked during the session. We look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

We have a soft deadline of one month from now. When the date of the session is finalized, I will announce a hard deadline.

The date for the session is Thursday July 6th. Therefore, the deadline to submit visual artwork for Season 6 to be presented in that podcast session is Tuesday July 4th.

Back