SilmFilm: The Adaptation: The Audio Drama

I'm not a huge fan of over-narration myself, but I don't think the LOTR (I just finished Fellowship) is overdone. But what I also don't like is the corny "oh, this just happened!" dialogue. I just heard it in the Chamber of Mazarbul. I think I heard a bow twang and then someone says "Oh! right through the helmet!" I just shook my head and said, that's not how I want to do it. A lot of that happens in the Marvel stuff I was talking about earlier. You hear clattering of someone falling followed by someone saying "that was quite a spill! need a hand?" There has to be a good balance, and it can be tricky.
Yeah, definitely don't want to do that. Obviously we'll have to lean on narration especially through S1 (It's really hard to audially depict mountains being raised and oceans being delved, for instance), but I definitely want to try our best to depict actions through foleys and effects before turning to narration.

Yeah, definitely don't want to do that. Obviously we'll have to lean on narration especially through S1 (It's really hard to audially depict mountains being raised and oceans being delved, for instance), but I definitely want to try our best to depict actions through foleys and effects before turning to narration.
Foley and effects and music will obviously be extremely important, since this would be an audio production. I also think that some narration is necessary. Descriptions of new settings will be important, as well as some narration that helps transition from scene to scene. That, and some actions are better portrayed with narration than with foley, as foley and FX can only do so much specifically.

I think this is also a good thing to do with Tolkien's writings, as his descriptions of some places are things that should not be left out. There's not a huge amount of it in the Silmarillion, but we can lift some stuff from the BOLT the Lays and other pre-canon works, repurpose them a bit, and I think they would make great narration that would not detract from the story.

Foley and effects and music will obviously be extremely important, since this would be an audio production. I also think that some narration is necessary. Descriptions of new settings will be important, as well as some narration that helps transition from scene to scene. That, and some actions are better portrayed with narration than with foley, as foley and FX can only do so much specifically.

I think this is also a good thing to do with Tolkien's writings, as his descriptions of some places are things that should not be left out. There's not a huge amount of it in the Silmarillion, but we can lift some stuff from the BOLT the Lays and other pre-canon works, repurpose them a bit, and I think they would make great narration that would not detract from the story.
Definitely agree there. I was mostly talking about audio description of immediate action that should be avoided, but there's definitely some great Tolkienian prose to keep in the story.

I LOVE the BBC LoTR. Largely because it did keep most of Tolkien's language. But LoTR has the advantage of a clear narrator voice to do the scene descriptions, that could be done by a narrator.

I LOVE the BBC LoTR. Largely because it did keep most of Tolkien's language. But LoTR has the advantage of a clear narrator voice to do the scene descriptions, that could be done by a narrator.
This is where we may have to rely on some BOLT, the Lays, Unfinished Tales and other pre-canon works to fill a lot of this in. The BOLT stuff would have to be tweaked a bit to fit the register of the project, but I believe that it can be done and still feel like it's Tolkien's words.

This is where we may have to rely on some BOLT, the Lays, Unfinished Tales and other pre-canon works to fill a lot of this in. The BOLT stuff would have to be tweaked a bit to fit the register of the project, but I believe that it can be done and still feel like it's Tolkien's words.
Essentially this is what Silmfilm has been doing with the source material, so this fits with the vibe.

So, it seems we've mostly come to decisions with regard to most of this. Is there an opportunity for us to bring this up to the hosts at some point soon, or do we have to wait until the creative contributions discussion mid-season?

No need to wait. If Octoburn is ready to pitch the idea, we can do that at any time. It might not come up on the podcast right away, but we can certainly start the conversation.

No need to wait. If Octoburn is ready to pitch the idea, we can do that at any time. It might not come up on the podcast right away, but we can certainly start the conversation.
I feel that we have hashed it out enough to start having an actual conversation about it.

This popped into my head again recently. I know we haven't really had a chance to discuss it in depth but I'm certainly open to collaborating on a draft script for our proof-of-concept (we talked about that somewhat and I supported 4.06 but we never really came to a conclusion I think)

This popped into my head again recently. I know we haven't really had a chance to discuss it in depth but I'm certainly open to collaborating on a draft script for our proof-of-concept (we talked about that somewhat and I supported 4.06 but we never really came to a conclusion I think)
It actually popped back into my mind again a few nights ago, when I was reading the 6.01 outline. I'm considering it for one, but it seems like it would have a rather large cast as well. But, this show seems like every episode will have a rather large cast, so yeah.

I'm fine with any of the above, or even the difficult task of starting from the beginning, or the trial of Melkor.

6.01 is also one Marie and the rest of us on the script team have been struggling to work out the minutiae of, and there's some stuff that's difficult to work out in video, and even harder for me to conceive in audio form.

I'm still liking 4.06 as an idea and I think that'll end up being a good balance of storytelling styles with an overall smaller cast. If you'd like to message me an email I can share to for Google Docs, I'm happy to start working on a draft script for that.

Last edited:
Most episodes do not even yet have a finished script. Just ovierview writeups, but no dialogues, nothing. I believe the only season with most scripts actually finished is season 4.

Back