Singers wanted

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
I have been composing pieces for SilmFilm for 3 years now and I am finally up to thinking about choir parts. Having composed a couple with singing parts and dabbled in recording voices I think it can be done on a larger scale.
If you can sing or even if you don't think you can sing and would like to become a part of the Mythgard Singers let me know here. It won't be difficult. The technical aspects are relatively easy. I will provide music and recordings of the different parts and I will mix them all in together.
Become part of thus conversation to express your interest.

Hello Phillip!

I could be interested. I've been in choirs in school, though I cannot claim much skill. However, if I don't make the cut through voice, I can potentially assist with other pieces (time constraints considered, as with all of us). You say the technical aspects are relatively easy. How would we get you audio clips? Would you have recommendations/ideas?

Hi Zephen,
Here's how it would work. I will produce an mp3 for each part with the accompaniment and the vocal part. I may be able to share them on the forums and if not we will have to use email. The words in Quenya will be separate and we will have a pronunciation guide. I may even be able to have a recording of someone speaking or singing the words.
To record, people can listen to the mp3 through headphones and sing. They can record with Audacity (free download) if they have a microphone in their pc or just record onto their smart phone. The audio files can be emailed to me to edit and arrange.
I am open to other suggestions to explore orher ways of file sharing as long as they are simple.

Hey Charlie,
Good to hear from you and glad to have you on board. I am waiting for words to be written but as soon as I have them you and the others will be the first to know. I like your work I had a listen on soundcloud.

Hi, I too am in the camp of interested even if not a trained singer. I have sung in school choirs and I at least know how to read music from playing the violin. If there is a part that could fit that level and can be relatively easily recorded, then I would be available.

Edit: Ah, by the way, if some violin music (just for accompaniment, no super complicated solos) were needed, I could probably rehearse and record something, but I don't know if that could be used since I don't have professional recording equipment. (Just in case you have longterm plans to build a Mythgard Orchestra ;) )

Last edited:
I am also interested. I have sung in church choir most of my childhood and youth, and also played a little in amateur musical theater. I can read music. And I am an alto, if that's relevant.

I would be interested as well. I don't claim great skill in singing, but I can read sheet music and sing bass.
Like Kathrin above, I would be available for a Mythgard Orchestra as well, I play the guitar and can somewhat play the violin, although that one would require some practising.

Hello again to all interested singers. I has been a while but I am nearing completion of a musical piece for the Oath of Feanor that needs to be sung in Quenya. If you are still interested I would love to hear from you. Mithluin has been very helpful in writing her own translation of the Oath into Quenya. I am in the final stages of the exact wording for a small number of lines.
There are 3 female lines and 3 male lines. I will produce a score with the instruments with just one vocal part for each line. I will also supply a score for each part in pdf and the whole lot together if you wish. If you are not sure how to record yourself singing I am sure we have the knowledge within the group to advise on the best way.
Musically there are lots of things going on in the piece. It begins with my Fall piece and moves into a chorus based on the Dies Irae. If you are not sure what this is there is a forum thread which discusses this in great detail. The whole piece has the three beats for the Eldar throughout with the first line of the Noldor tune coming through. By the end this has morphed into Melkor's triad. The final line "Darkness doom us if our deed faileth" is sung to the Doom theme.
The best way to do this may be through email. I will try to post the files here on the forum thread, but I will make sure each of you have my email address and can post your contribution back to me directly for editing into the whole.
I look forward to hearing from you and if you know any others who may be able to contribute please make them aware. I will also let Corey know that more singers are wanted.

Hi Phillip,
I know I missed the Oath of Feanor but if you still need singers in the future plz count me in. I'm a classical piano major, not a great singer but been in a choir for most of my life. If you ever get the inclination to write piano compositions for this project in the future, I'd be interested as well.
One potential way to share tracks easily is to use bandlab. You can start a collab session with the singers and they can just drop the tracks there. It also allows for some basic editing (cuttings, shifting, copy and pasting, and even voice filter. Heard they now have denoise but dunno if it works for pc). If that's too basic, you can always easily download the tracks and put them on another software. Downside is that everyone need to get bandlab, but the app is completely free.

Last edited:
It is great to hear from interested people. The Oath was fun, but sadly it has finished. From the session today I have a feeling that we might do another choir collaboration for the Light in the West. If you have not read the script for S5E1 I strongly recommend it. I would be happy to discuss effective ways of sharing vocals for future musical pieces. It may be a few years before I get to do a SilmFilm piano piece but it is good to know that there is someone who will be able to play it well.

It is great to hear from interested people. The Oath was fun, but sadly it has finished. From the session today I have a feeling that we might do another choir collaboration for the Light in the West. If you have not read the script for S5E1 I strongly recommend it. I would be happy to discuss effective ways of sharing vocals for future musical pieces. It may be a few years before I get to do a SilmFilm piano piece but it is good to know that there is someone who will be able to play it well.

If you do need voices for The Light in the West, count me in. It's simple enough that even an untrained voice like mine can manage it.

Back