Slow down, you're going too fast?

NotACat

While we're looking at poetry for a bit, something was raised a little while back that caught my attention but I don't recall who said it.

Apparently the people who wrote the kind of poetry that JRRT loved tended to speak a lot slower than we generally do nowadays.

I wonder whether some of the problems we have with complicated rhythm and meter might be caused because we're simply trying to say them too fast.

I usually listen to the recordings at 2×speed so I'm reasonably used to listening to folks talking quickly, but sometimes I do have to slow it way down to understand what someone is saying, simply because they're going too fast for me.

I would be interested to hear some of this poetry read at different speeds to see whether it makes things easier to say or understand.

that's an interesting observation about Tolkien as (from many biographical sources) he was reported to speak quite quickly himself, although, perhaps this did not apply when he was reciting poetry.

that's an interesting observation about Tolkien as (from many biographical sources) he was reported to speak quite quickly himself, although, perhaps this did not apply when he was reciting poetry.
I listened to a recording of Tolkien reading the Ents' Marching Song poem the other day. He read it rather quickly, more quickly than most others I've heard do. The nature of the Ents and the rhythm of the poem itself would seem to suit a slower, more plodding sort of recitation, but he was almost rushing it seemingly, and was certainly quite hasty by Entish standards. I don't have the link to hand but doubt it would be hard to pull up on YouTube.

Also, I was worried you were telling Corey that he was blazing through this chapter too quickly....
Good grief no, I'm one of those who appreciates the leisurely pace that gives us time to sniff all the roses along the way :cool:

That's why I tagged it as "poetry" but maybe not everyone notices that?

While he actually spoke it quickly, he may have intended it to be read more slowly. Do as I say, not as I do. :) Perhaps in a formal setting (like an actual poetry reading at the club or somesuch) he might have at least tried to read it more slowly. Or maybe not; I'm completely guessing.

Back