Soundtrack LOL in Jackson's Return of the King

Jim Deutch

I seem to hate the Jackson movies even more every time I watch; only got halfway through RotK recently. But I laughed out loud at the Orc armies advancing on Minas Tirith to the beat of a drum -- in 5/4 time!

I seem to hate the Jackson movies even more every time I watch; only got halfway through RotK recently. But I laughed out loud at the Orc armies advancing on Minas Tirith to the beat of a drum -- in 5/4 time!

I rewatched them recently after about a 10 year avoidance. I liked them at the cinema (but with reservations), and liked the Extended Editions more and watched them many times with my kids and with all the voiceovers. I am also much more critical of the films as films than I used to be. Not something I will keep going back to.

But I laughed out loud at the Orc armies advancing on Minas Tirith to the beat of a drum -- in 5/4 time!

My sense of rhythm is very rudimental but I would imagine orcish to be kind of advanced. If orcs descend from elves their original talent for music has to go into something and I would assume rhythm to have been the fitting area for that...

Have not watched them for years and years. But i was not overly impressed when they came out. I mean, they are ok. But they seems so...ordinary and the modern day sensibilities shines through. Well done, by all means. It sounds like i hate them, but i do not..i have the extended (the only version to watch) on blu-ray. I just do not have an itch to watch them.

Have not watched them for years and years. But i was not overly impressed when they came out. I mean, they are ok. But they seems so...ordinary and the modern day sensibilities shines through. Well done, by all means. It sounds like i hate them, but i do not..i have the extended (the only version to watch) on blu-ray. I just do not have an itch to watch them.

I love the details of the Shire. Gets me each time. E.g. Gondor got far less "love" in this regard.

The way the books are written, vague in description, does not suit the movie i think. Not for me anyways.

I love the details of the Shire. Gets me each time. E.g. Gondor got far less "love" in this regard.
I also love the Shire in these films. One of the big problems with both Edoras and Minas Tirith for me was the lack of farmlands, or any evidence of human settlement, outside of the city walls. Made the cities appear sprung out of nowhere.

I also love the Shire in these films. One of the big problems with both Edoras and Minas Tirith for me was the lack of farmlands, or any evidence of human settlement, outside of the city walls. Made the cities appear sprung out of nowhere.

The whole horse pastoralist culture of Rohan was basically absent, they had horses, but where those came from was not clear. And we saw quite a bit of Rohan in the films.

A lot of people asked me what I thought of the LotR films when they came out. My standard answer was, "I love them, but give me six hours and I'll tell you what's wrong with them." I think I can stand by that evaluation. There's a lot to complain about. But there is a lot that they did So Well, and I can still be excited and give a chef's kiss where appropriate.

I really do appreciate the production quality and effort that went into them. A lot of people worked really hard to bring a vision of Middle-earth to life. Sure, it's not my vision, and it's not perfect, but it was pretty impressive nonetheless.

My sense of rhythm is very rudimental but I would imagine orcish to be kind of advanced. If orcs descend from elves their original talent for music has to go into something and I would assume rhythm to have been the fitting area for that...
Clap! Snap! the black crack!
Grip, grab! Pinch, nab!
And down down to Goblin-town
You go, my lad!

Nevertheless, marching to a 5/4 drumbeat could present some difficulty for two-footed creatures... I suspect Jackson &co were using this to emphasize how Orcs are "off", like horribly damaged elves/men. Along with all the warts and ugliness of their costumes and makeup, they also march club-footed.

Back