Sun& moon

Haerangil

I've just realised we might have a problem... If we want to show rhe story of the creation of sun and moon and maybe a bit of the tilion/arien mythology

We have sun& moon an great mythic vessels ob the sky. However when in middle- earth we suddenly have the usual vision of sun and moon rising as distant celestial objects.

I' m a bit under the impression that tolkien separetes his world into two spheres here: we have a sphere of valinor where the great mythology does happen and sun and moon are ships with steersman spieits and we do have the beleriand sphere where they haüpen to be natural objects.

We might like to solve this for a tv production by giving our viewers the impression that valinor is a dimension separated from earth, wirh different rules for time and physics while beleriand is more or less like our earth... But if we do so we' ll get to a problem when earendil comes up wirh his flying ship in the end..

So, I don't know that this is necessarily a problem. I think with some clever shots, we can illustrate this seeming inconsistency without it looking weird.

For example, Arien can be holding the fruit of Laurelin, and exert her own power through it. Zooming out, her own form would disappear into the sphere of light.

Last edited:
Well i wasn't saying that it cannot be done at all. But we definitwly need some clever ideas here how we can jump between the mythological and the physical sphere and back.

Back