Supporting Characters

Yes, because Fingon is killed. His younger brother Turgon 'inheriting' his followers isn't going to be too hard to explain. It's not like they can just go home to Mithrim after the Nirnaeth.....

We will have to explain where the House of the Mole and the House of the Wing come from. They can be younger elves who choose to join those houses rather than the houses of their fathers. Or they can be 'inherited' from Aredhel and/or Idril. Since Aredhel both leaves the City and dies tragically, it would make sense for her son to 'inherit' her followers at her death...or for another house (Penlod's) to 'absorb' them at her departure.

In my mind, Círdan isn’t at all opposed to Galdor joining Turgon. I think he’s all for it. Galdor could have mixed feelings, but Círdan says he should follow his destiny.

This opens up the next issue though: we will have to introduce a new Falathrim captain (or Círdan won’t have anyone to talk to).

In my mind, Círdan isn’t at all opposed to Galdor joining Turgon. I think he’s all for it. Galdor could have mixed feelings, but Círdan says he should follow his destiny.

This opens up the next issue though: we will have to introduce a new Falathrim captain (or Círdan won’t have anyone to talk to).
We’ll have to find someone of the Falathrim (which is what I’m trying to do right now). Though Cirdan won’t be alone for too long since Gil-galad’s gotta come to him at some point.

We’ll have to find someone of the Falathrim (which is what I’m trying to do right now). Though Cirdan won’t be alone for too long since Gil-galad’s gotta come to him at some point.
How much will Cirdan be involved in the show between Galdor’s departure for Gondolin and the Dagor Bragollach? If there aren’t going to be any storylines centered around the Falas, I don’t think he will need someone of the Falathrim to talk to.

That would mean that Círdan is more or less out of the story for a whole season. I guess it’s ok, we will certainly have other stuff to focus on (and we can probably include him in a scene or two).
But maybe there are stories to tell about the Falathrim.

That would mean that Círdan is more or less out of the story for a whole season. I guess it’s ok, we will certainly have other stuff to focus on (and we can probably include him in a scene or two).
There’s a mention of Elven lords sending their children to Cirdan for safekeeping, other than Gil-galad.

The Molefolk will definitely be a topic we'll have to talk about when we come to Gondolin...
i mean... do we want to make them, or at least a greater group of them co-traitors like in lost tales? Or do we want to make maeglin a lone-wolf sleeper-agent?

Do we want to make the molefolk Noldor?remnants of Eol's clique? Escapees from Angband, like Rog? A mixed bunch?

Bui i guess it'll take some time till we'll get there ... so we don't need to hurry!

The Molefolk will definitely be a topic we'll have to talk about when we come to Gondolin...
i mean... do we want to make them, or at least a greater group of them co-traitors like in lost tales? Or do we want to make maeglin a lone-wolf sleeper-agent?

Do we want to make the molefolk Noldor?remnants of Eol's clique? Escapees from Angband, like Rog? A mixed bunch?

Bui i guess it'll take some time till we'll get there ... so we don't need to hurry!
I can imagine most being unwitting pawns.

Well surely not ALL of them were traitors, can't imagine that! But a few others who got captured and released along with their chief... maybe? I'd make that decision based on what we find more interesting when it comes to describe how exactly the whole treason thing works in practice... if we find out that Maeglin might have need of some helpers who do VERY questionable things we could still draw on the possibility of co-conspirators among the molefolk.If he doesn't... well...

I think that Maeglin should not have a house full of traitors. I thin kwe should highlight his treachery and not spread it out among the people of his house. Maeglin is conspiring with Salgant though. As the story shows, Salgant didn't have his house with him in the treason. I think that Maeglin's warriors should be of equal quality.

I think that Maeglin should not have a house full of traitors. I thin kwe should highlight his treachery and not spread it out among the people of his house. Maeglin is conspiring with Salgant though. As the story shows, Salgant didn't have his house with him in the treason. I think that Maeglin's warriors should be of equal quality.
Perhaps they see Orcs attacking, with Maeglin not being harmed, and are thrown into confusion?

Also, since Oropher has been pushed back a season, how should we introduce him? Season 4 was the best point to introduce him before his possible capture, since Thingol is mostly out of focus from here on out until Beren.

Looking at the published Silmarillion, Thingol will also be mostly sidelined for Season 5. I can find only one scene of him in the years between the Coming of Men and the Dagor Bragollach.

Looking at the published Silmarillion, Thingol will also be mostly sidelined for Season 5. I can find only one scene of him in the years between the Coming of Men and the Dagor Bragollach.

This is going to be a growing problem for us. Many characters disappear for huge swaths of the text, and we will need to find roles for them or explain their absence.

Thingol was "troubled by dreams concerning the coming of Men, ere ever the first tidings of them were heard." Perhaps we could show that.

It probably means Celeborn is out of focus, as well as Galadriel. We will have to come up with at least a minor plot to keep in touch with the Doriath people.

Foreshadowing his dislike of Beren?
I do not think the text says whether they do or not, but it would make sense if his dreams were part of what caused him to dislike Beren. Maybe Thingol's dreams could just show him future events, and his interpretation would color them negatively.

I do not think the text says whether they do or not, but it would make sense if his dreams were part of what caused him to dislike Beren. Maybe Thingol's dreams could just show him future events, and his interpretation would color them negatively.
Maybe the same with Saeros, who takes his racism farther than even Thingol does?

Maybe the same with Saeros, who takes his racism farther than even Thingol does?
Maybe Saeros could be someone Thingol speaks to about his dreams, so Saeros is influenced by Thingol's point of view. When Thingol softens towards Men after Beren completes the quest for the Silmaril and marries Luthien, Saeros might not understand why Thingol is going back on what he said earlier, so Saeros would continue to dislike Men.

It would be funny if, when Luthien brings Beren before Thingol for the first time, Saeros is off to the side making snide comments about Beren's hair. Saeros might also be someone to whom Daeron could speak about his jealousy of Beren.

We could have the two Elves that show up in Nargothrond in The Children of Hurin, who are stated to be of Cirdan’s people. Will have to recall their names

Back