Supporting Characters

So...leaving the Gelmir issue for a moment... I seriously think the idea that Galdor of the Falathrim and Voronwë's mother could be brother and sister.
In Unfinished Tales, Voronwe says his mother is "akin to Cirdan himself." Do we want to have Galdor and Voronwe's mother related to Cirdan, and, if so, how?

One fandom site lists Círdan as her uncle. We've never given him a brother or sister, but I guess we could. Someone who died, caught by the Hunter?

One fandom site lists Círdan as her uncle. We've never given him a brother or sister, but I guess we could. Someone who died, caught by the Hunter?
Unless we want Cirdan’s brother or sister to still be alive to be the character Cirdan can talk to while Galdor and Voronwe’s mother are in Gondolin.

Arminas can join Cirdan after the Dagor Bragollach at the end of Season 5.

Arminas' companion can be unnamed, and Arminas does all the talking.

I'm fine with Galdor's sister being Voronwe's mother. I don't think we need to specify their relationship to Cirdan.
When should we introduce Arminas? Aegnor's gonna be toast (possibly literally) by the end of next season.

As I've said before, I really like Rhiannon that you introduce people in your scripts. Could you make a list or something with those smaller introductions, with notes on season, episode and circumstances? A thread, maybe?
Absolutely. I'll get to work on that.

I introduced Arminas in the episode with the Dagor Aglareb as a scout reporting news of the Orc army to Angrod and Aegnor.
Should we cast Arminas this season, or wait until he plays a larger role in the plot with his encounter with Tuor and his visit to Nargothrond?

I just noticed while rereading "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin" in Unfinished Tales that Voronwe says his father Aranwe is of the house of Fingolfin. I know we've been wanting to give all the lords of the Noldor important military commanders, so maybe Aranwe could be one of Fingolfin's captains and hold a position equivalent to Rhogrin with Fingon or Ecthelion with Turgon.

After Fingolfin's death, Aranwe would serve Fingon, and, after Fingon's death, he could be one of the people Rhogrin brings with him to Gondolin after the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.

Voronwe could either go with Turgon when Gondolin is first constructed or arrive later with his father, since Turgon does not send the last ship seeking Valinor until after the NIrnaeth Arnoediad.

I am fine with Aranwë and Voronwë being in different places. So, if Aranwë serves Fingolfin and his son goes to Gondolin with Turgon, that's fine. Voronwë is meant to be born in Middle-earth, though, right? We probably shouldn't have him born in Gondolin, as I'd think they wouldn't tap people who have never seen the Sea for the sailing expeditions!

So, if he's born in Middle-earth, he'd probably be with his dad, and if his dad's with Fingolfin...Voronwë would also be in Hithlum. Until post-Nirnaeth, when Rhogrin takes a contingent back to Gondolin.

I think we're more likely to need characters with Fingolfin than characters with Turgon, so it's probably fine to go the Aranwë-and-Voronwë-with-Fingolfin route.

(Though to be fair, I've always assumed that both Aranwë and Voronwë were long-time Gondolindrim.)

I am fine with Aranwë and Voronwë being in different places. So, if Aranwë serves Fingolfin and his son goes to Gondolin with Turgon, that's fine. Voronwë is meant to be born in Middle-earth, though, right? We probably shouldn't have him born in Gondolin, as I'd think they wouldn't tap people who have never seen the Sea for the sailing expeditions!

So, if he's born in Middle-earth, he'd probably be with his dad, and if his dad's with Fingolfin...Voronwë would also be in Hithlum. Until post-Nirnaeth, when Rhogrin takes a contingent back to Gondolin.

I think we're more likely to need characters with Fingolfin than characters with Turgon, so it's probably fine to go the Aranwë-and-Voronwë-with-Fingolfin route.

(Though to be fair, I've always assumed that both Aranwë and Voronwë were long-time Gondolindrim.)
Also, if necessary, Aranwe and Voronwe could be characters that Cirdan can talk to after Galdor leaves, since Aranwe marries one of Cirdan's people.

Yeah, that was my impression of him as well - but I then figured that he and his father and mother all moved to Gondolin now-ish. The question is...do we *need* them all in Gondolin, or could Aranwë, his Sindarin wife, and Voronwë all be in Hithlum until the Nirnaeth?

Surely they COULD. If we want them to.

I mean we opened ourselves some freedom of opportunity to place characters by having some elves joining the Gondolindrim not before the Nirnaeth.

Both options work as far as I am concerned. Having the whole family in Hithlum could serve as a way to connect Círdan to the Noldor, and at the same time add as much as possible to Voronwë's story. The alternative (Voronwë going earlier to Gondolin - he could join Galdor) could work as well - it would perhaps be less effective, since we would have two storylines, but it could potentially add depth and a touch of complexity brought on by their separation and subsequent reunion.

Back