Surprising Statues

Arnorion

Apologies: I’ve been playing catch-up for a while since a big batch of episodes dropped in the podcast feed. In the field trip for episode 123 of Exploring LotR there was a statue in Tham Mirdain that seemed to be difficult to identify. A tall, male figure holding a sword and scepter but without pointed ears. The conversation revolved around Elendil and early third age Numenorean exiles who may have detoured off the Royal Road to enshrine themselves in the long-abandoned ruins of Ost-in-Edhil in Eregion. This seems highly unlikely.

Much more plausible is an important human figure known to the Noldor when they lived there, before the Ring War that destroyed their habitation near the close of the 17th century of the Second Age. My vote is Tar-Aldarion. As prince of Numenor he sailed frequently back to Middle-Earth establishing the haven at the mouth of Gwathlo as well as the trading town of Tharbad, which Galadriel and Celeborn were said to have visited. It is likely that he established relations with the Mirdain as well as the Longbeards of Khazad-dum, peoples who would have had much profit from encountering the Numenoreans.

I think it likely the folk of Celebrimbor would have commemorated their newly reestablished relationship with the descendants of Elros. Therefore the sword he is holding is likely Aranruth and the rod, the Scepter of Armenelos.

I only wonder if they chose to depict him as they met him (prince-adventurer) or in the post to which he ascended when Tar-Meneldur gave up the throne, sensing the rising shadow of evil in Middle-Earth.

Back